U.S. Mid-Atlantic States Blizard 2016

Looking like it is getting to be close to 3 FEET and still snowing hard

9 Likes

I LOVE this picture. That drop of water on the lens makes it look like some kind of planet with a quasar circling it. Neato!

In my career winter weather is a pain in the ass. I have a load of submarine parts stuck in PA. Still I’ll have to deal with “updates” to my customer every 4 hours. It’s like hey, do you own a tv? Get your updates there! Oh if only I could say what’s on my mind.

6 Likes

We got some flurries and the kids were so excited it was like Christmas morning LOL. Too warm here to stick. You guys stay safe!!!

1 Like

That picture is super neat! And the poor deer…almost buried. :stuck_out_tongue: I hated working with the general public when I was doing graphics and photography…everyone thinks they know how to do what you do. It’s like, “If you think you can do a better job, do it yourself…” Never. Again. LoL

1 Like

@JoJo Trust me that deer is not going to starve we have been feeding it ever since it’s mama vanished. I almost have it taking food from my hand.

Here is what I am dealing with and will be for the next 24 hrs

Gotta have a vape now and again using the Lemo tank with 24g 316L SS 7 wraps and VTC mini 50 watts 390F With this juice

cuttwood sugar bear clone

Ingredient %
Cinnamon Danish Swirl (CAP) 4.8
Cinnamon Roll (FW) 8
Ethyl Maltol 10% 1
Sugar Cookie (CAP) 3.2

Flavor total: 17%

Remember to rate it at e-liquid-recipes.com!

Folks it is still putting it down hard and no doubt in my mind we are going over the 3 foot mark before it is over. Gotta keep a plowing so it does not get to deep to move heading back out and will update y’all later.

Everyone in the path of this storm please stay safe

7 Likes

Glad you made it safely through the night. Keep them pics coming. I miss the snow…and tractors. I grew up on a cattle ranch in Jackson WY as a kid and remember playing on tractors, snowmobiles and sleds for hours on end. I’m about as far from blizzards as you can get now LOL

2 Likes

I love Wyoming. I’ll tell you it’s the one place I’ve seen the fastest, most dramatic weather changes. So I had stopped at Laramie once when I was a truck driver. It was in the mid 70s when I got there mid-afternoon. I went in and got a shower and bite to eat. Maybe 2 hours. When I went back to my truck I couldn’t see the parking lot due to the snow. It had dropped to the mid-20s and the snow was heavy and coming in sideways. I must have looked like a complete idiot walking to my truck in shorts and a t-shirt. Crazy.

3 Likes

Here’s a link to an Op-Ed piece I found which holds much truth to it:

For those who may not be able to get to this piece, here’s a copy and paste:

By DAVID DUDLEY
JANUARY 22, 2016
In the winter of 1985 my hometown, Buffalo, was engulfed in a blizzard — not an uncommon occurrence for the region, which is justly famed for epic snows. But this was a big one, and the city’s blustery Irish-American mayor, Jimmy Griffin, was at pains to persuade people to stop trying to go about their business as conditions deteriorated. He urged Buffalonians to “relax, stay inside and grab a six-pack,” which must be the best advice any elected official ever gave the public in an emergency situation.
There’s something cartoonish about the menace of a blizzard, in which nature’s wrath assumes a fluffy, roly-poly form and tries to kill you. It’s the meteorological equivalent of getting smothered in Tribbles, or attacked by the Stay-Puft Marshmallow Man. And yet, kill it does, via car accidents and heart attacks and other misadventures, usually involving people trying, unwisely, to do something.
Mr. Griffin, henceforth known as Jimmy Six-Pack, understood this. The Snow Gods reserve special contempt for those who don’t respect their ability to bring human activity to a standstill. The snow cares not for your deadlines, your happy hour plans, your scheduled C-section. It wants only to fall on the ground and lie there. And it wants you to, too.
Needless to say, you should. Unless you’re a plow driver or a parka-clad elected official trying to look essential, one doesn’t pretend to do battle against a blizzard. You submit. Surrender. Hunker down. A snowstorm rewards indolence and punishes the go-getters, which is only one of the many reasons it’s the best natural disaster there is.

Jimmy Six-Pack also understood that snow functions as an arbiter of government effectiveness. (He stayed in office for 16 years.) In New York City, Mayor John Lindsay’s lax response to a 1969 storm forever dinged his political fortunes. Cities need blizzards every few years to flush out incompetents, expose incipient dysfunction and generally stress-test the fabric of civilization. Like war, illness and poker, snow ruthlessly reveals true character.
And, gloriously if briefly, it hides everything else — the plastic grocery bags and mini-marts and dog poop and salt-grimed Toyotas and sundry disorder of modernity. Watching the quotidian American crudscape transform into a fairy-tale kingdom is a legitimate wonder. Name another disaster that leaves the afflicted region more attractive in its wake.
I’ve never quite lost my amazement at this phenomenon, the suddenness with which the familiar vanishes and a new, better landscape appears. Time has partly buried my childhood memories of Buffalo’s mighty blizzard of 1977, but I still recall the hallucinogenic dislocation of the great drifts that climbed over houses, the spectacle of a world made thrillingly new. It’s a vision that seems freshly haunting now, as we face the dread prospect of a climate changed by human appetites — the future winters, soggy and snowless, that await us all. Before it’s too late, let us all now pause, perhaps over a six-pack, and bear witness as the climate changes us.

3 Likes

I could have done just fine without my mind trying to visualize that.

Just came back in from plowing and I think I may be partially frozen. I will get a few pics after I warm up a little. 38" and counting right now and still snowing hard with constant wind.

1 Like

So very true and really does send many people to the hospital that over do it when trying to shovel snow.

Here is a quick shot as you may be able to see I did plow a path to the food for the orphaned deer. Hopefully you can make out the snow on the truck in the background

3 Likes

Laramie gets some really bad winds if I remember correctly. Bad news if you got a blizzard or hail storm. My family’s cattle ranch was on the banks of the Snake River with the Tetons as a backdrop. About as beautiful as you could get. I was told that they shot quite a few scenes from the movie Shane on the property. I went back there after 30 some old years later and it was all condos and dude ranches. Took me two hours of driving around just to find the road that used to be the entrance. I literally felt sick to my stomach.

2 Likes

It warms my heart to see how much you look after this little guy/gal.

4 Likes

I didnt even go outside today. It’ll still be there tomorrow. Wind was whipping pretty good with sideways snow. No thanks.
Looks like its finally starting to let up here and my best guess is close to 2 feet with drifts up to 4 feet. My truck looks like a big mound of snow.
I cant get my front door open at all. Might have to climb out the window…lol.

1 Like

Who’s around Charlotte? Big game tomorrow, think it will go down?

1 Like

As bad as it would be for those in the stands as well as on the field, it will make for good TV.

1 Like

SNOW…12 inches of it. Our power went out Friday at 1:00 PM. Wouldn’t ya know, I picked up a generator a couple of weeks ago, it needed some work. I ordered a carburetor for it. I’m taking bets that it shows up after all the snow melts. LOL. We where OK though. Wood burning stove, kerosene lamps, plenty of 18650 batteries to power my flashlights and well…mods of course.
I grabbed the UPS battery backup off of my media server to power the blower on the wood burner for when the cold started to creep in and it did at around 10 deg F. last night… Then the power came on. LOL. Still stuck in the valley here.
We may get out by Weds. I’m good with that. :wink:
Plenty of food, and if we run out…there is a doe in my front yard that doesn’t have a clue.

4 Likes

Vinson cooked over an open flame. Almost makes being shut in a good thing.

3 Likes

:slight_smile: True that! There are a lot of wild turkey around here as well. That is some GREAT eating!
One of my favorite venison dishes is very simple, and very southern. Venison tenderloin pan fried in butter on a biscuit. :smiley:

2 Likes
3 Likes

VenisonTenderloin dipped in egg first then flour and fried in butter YUM it don’t get no better.

1 Like