Unconventional Tools

And yes, I get fools showing off lopsided nipple piercings daily regardless of me giving tips while I rock an epic sternum foundation to my tatts: that one was the basis of many videos.

2 Likes

Just re-reading this and now I’m wondering why dentist tools would be available at a gun show.

2 Likes

They crop up at all logic markets. In America it’s flea markets and gun shows. In the UK it’s based on the oddity of soundness.

3 Likes

Same reason as other uses… They get into tight places which helps facilitate both cleaning as well as putting small pieces into position in hard to reach spots. :thumbsup:

I also have used dental picks in electronics work, as well as automotive.

I used to buy them at an electronics shop too, but didn’t think of it earlier as that shop was closed a couple of years ago.

6 Likes

May I ask, why are the coil kits bad? I’m about to get my 1st rta and i don’t wanna waste money…

4 Likes

Kits aren’t actually bad but once you dig in you won’t use 75% of what’s in the kit. Better to start with a good pair of wire snips, ceramic tweezers, and cheap sharp scissors.

7 Likes

I think that’s fair for some. I have a geek vape kit that’s fantastic - and the carrying case is moulded - not just a pouch. There’s maybe one thing I didn’t use at first, but do now, the curved tweezers.

They’ve unfortunately stopped making the one I have - but I do think having a coiling jig, scissors, ohm meter, screwdriver 4 pc, etc. - I do think there’s room for them. The one thing I replaced was the cheap plastic folding scissors- I found identical steel sharp sewing ones for about $5.

Obviously everyone is different but even at close to a decade building I do still use the kit every day. Especially for beginners an ohm meter is pretty handy, too easy to fire a mod when building and new IMO or dog forbid try and build on a mech.

I do appreciate the odd tools and repurposed stuff, I do keep a tiny box next to my bed for a quick rewicking, for their unique purposes and most kits miss out hex bits that are useful.

But something like this is a pretty inexpensive solution that’s going to last a very long time and probably save most people money vs buying one tool at a time , while offering a compact holder. I wish this had more bits (2.25 specifically) and that the bits were ceramic (good for mtl builds in tight spaces which deform on first dry heat.

7 Likes

Maybe I’m just different but I much prefer the kit I built over time and only use the jig rods from the full kit I was gifted early on. After my first couple builds I bought a decent pair of snips, scissors, and ceramic tweezers and those are all I used for a couple years. Bought the ohm reader once I started using rtas exclusively.

3 Likes

I bought a coil master mini V2 kit a few years ago and I’ve been pretty content. I broke the very tip off one side of the wire cutters. That was misuse on my part but they weren’t the best cutters either. I replaced them with a Demon Killer wore cutter and although still not a real good quality tool they are better than the coil master cutters and I will probably have them around for many years.

If you piece together tools be sure to get flat sided wire cutters so you can snip wires tight up against posts. Pointed tips are better than curved tips for vaping too.

What I like about the coil master coil winding jigs is that they have the size (diameter in mm) engraved on the end. I like not having to get out calipers to figure out what size I’m making. I don’t want to have to use a second tool in order to use the first one. That being said, I also have a Harbor freight Transfer Punch set I use for winding the unusual sized coils. They are in an indexed base that has the sizes embossed.

https://www.harborfreight.com/28-piece-transfer-punch-set-3577.html

HF also has a pick set I use slot. I use the straight one to comb and stuff cotton. They have one with a offset double bend that is fantastic for getting off O-rings, especially good at getting out the rings used on the inside. Strangely their picture doesn’t include that one.

https://www.harborfreight.com/mini-pick-and-hook-set-63697.html

The one missing from the picture looks like somewhat like this.

7 Likes

thank you because I am a mtl person

3 Likes

@Animals you’ve already gotten great responses so far. Coil kits are ok if you are in a hurry, maybe even traveling, but like @Letitia once you get beyond those examples, money is better spent starting on making our own. NOW, if for some reason you just HAD to have exotic, fancy coils, and have no way to duplicate them yourself, then kits, singles, etc. aren’t terrible.

2 Likes

I’m not in a huge hurry. Mainly I am buying an RTA to prepare for whatever laws are soon to happen in the USA. I plan on getting a BP Mods Pioneer RTA in a couple weeks because it’s not hugely expensive and seems like it’s versatile and well liked. I’ll probably get a couple more in a couple months once I get used to building and have more cash. If there are any tool recommendations for that specific RTA, it would be greatly appreciated. I have no idea what I’m doing yet. Maybe tools aren’t really atomizer-specific though…

3 Likes

How are the USA-ers getting nicotine now ? Private shipping companies?

3 Likes

there are still a couple shops that ship it. the mail ban got postponed. hopefully they will open up for pick up after the ban. i emailed one of them (i think Nicotine Giant)(don’t quote me on that) and they said they planned to open up for pick up.

3 Likes

I just use the typical tools. I made up a small tool box with all that I could need to rework my RDTA’s.

7 Likes

These Allen wrench fit much better than the Chinese ones.

7 Likes