Using percentages to mix by weight

Hello! I just found this site and the calculator is awesome! It’s great to have my flavor list built in. However, I mix by weight and the calculator seems to be giving me the percentages by volume instead of weight. I’m I not using it right, or is percentage by volume more accurate than percentage by weight?

2 Likes

Go into your prefernces and fill out the form:

Measure by grams is what you want. :sunglasses:

7 Likes

Thanks! I’ve done that. All of my recipes have been done using the grams in the calculator, drops hasn’t shown as an option. Heres as example of a 60ml recipe:

You can see that 10ml (Nic) is 16.67% of 60ml, but 12.61gm is 18% of 69.94gm

1 Like

% is an expression of volume. 10 ml of finished e-liquid could weigh 12.32g - it would make little sense to do it in grams then you would end up with like 8.61 ml of juice.

2 Likes

I agree. However, the calculator would compensate for that just as it allocates the vol %s across the ingredients as additional flavors are added, couldn’t it? So if the calculator is working properly, the volume is the accurate way to measure e-juice mixes. I’m guessing we’re really just measuring by volume, but weighing in order to reduce the error in sight measures?

1 Like

I’m not sure what you are proposing - You want a calculator that works entirely in grams? Most people would be confused if they had to enter how many grams they’d like to mix… :slight_smile:

1 Like

I apologize. I know where my thinking went wrong now (see next paragraph). But just theoretically – Actually, it would be the same type calculator. The user would enter the qty of ml to make and the calculator would do the allocations using the weights of the ingredients, keeping the final volume constant, allowing the final weight to float.

It’s a moot point, really. I think I was just confused about why we measure using weights. I just started mixing a few months ago, and started mixing by weight recently. I see that it makes more sense to mix by volume, but using drops is terribly imprecise, and trying to measure using graduated cylinders and eyeballs is inconvenient and also a bit imprecise. But if you know how much the volume you want should weigh, you can just add ingredients one at a time to one, final container on a scale and, depending on the precision of the scale (and your pouring hand), you should be able to be fairly precise. So I guess I answered my own original question.

2 Likes

Sounds like it - That’s the way the site works :smiley: heheh

1 Like

precision is achieved by the accuracy of mixing by weight to achieve a desired volume using specific gravities of the ingredients. Not scientifically achieved but i noticed 4 drops of a pipette equals .10g which equates to 1% in 10ml but u can still weigh your drops. Your scale may not register drops from tare so u may have to add any drops w/ another ingredient when using drops. Gl to u and welcome aboard!

1 Like