Using PG/VG premix with another nicotine base

Hi all,
I’m fairly new at mixing my e-liquids, untill now I’ve only mixed using separate VG/PG/nic bases with e-liquid recipes calculator, no issues here. :blush:
The thing is I ordered 1l of 70VG/30PG of premixed base with no nic and my nicshots are 10ml bottles with 20mg 50/50, so when I add say 25% of flavours plus the nicshots (aiming at 4, 5mg strength) the VG/PG will lower way less than I would like.
Would buying a 36mg strength, or higher, 80VG/20PG nic base and adding it to my 70/30 premixed base make up for the flavors PG content? What would be the best strength (aiming at final strengths between 3 and 5 mg) for all purposes, say a 30 ml or a 100 ml recipe? Is there a calculator that can accommodate such variants?
I hope I wasn’t too confusing, English is not my native language. :grimacing:
Thank you so much for taking the time to help me.
Best regards

1 Like

yes, there is.

2 Likes

:slight_smile: Thank you very much for your reply.
That one is the one I was recommended when I first started and the one I use, the thing is the premixed base has no nic and I will be adding nic. I guess this way I could use the option “vape-ready nicotine base”, right?

I don’t think so cause your base has no nicotine in it, you’ll be adding that later if I understand correctly.
You could use it but it won’t allow you to separately add nicotine to it since it assumes there’s nicotine in your base.

You could check beforehand how much of your nicshot you have to add by making the recipe without using the vape-ready option just to see how much you would have to add. You wouldn’t have to make the entire recipe, just select how much you want to make, how strong you want it to be and input that your nicotine is 20ml/mg
That way you know how much to add when you do make the recipe with the vape-ready base option.

That’s quite a roundabout way though, maybe @CosmicTruth could chime in here, he has developed a calculator and maybe it is possible to do it with that one.

Sorry about that but my brain isn’t really working atm so I won’t try and work that one out now cause I might mess it up.
I’m sure he will help out when he reads this though so good luck.

4 Likes

See if something on this page will help, not sure yet exactly what you are trying to calculate but there may be something on one of the tabs:

3 Likes

Are you sure you are going to be annoyed at the higher PG. I find myself quite tolerant at 50/50 to max VG.
Why not try a few recipes pretending you have separate VG and PG and add the weight of your base corresponding to the sum of PG/VG in the site caculator. Wure you are going to be off but not by that much unless you are really high on flavourings.

2 Likes

With 30/70 premix, 50/50 nic shot and 25% flavoring (assuming 100% PG), the outcome of your batch would be reduced to 37.5/67.5 at most.

2 Likes

@St12
Don’t know what flavors you using so I’m using cappella Apple pie v2 for example

And here is recipe with Apple pie at 10% flavor

App I used for pics is in the google play store

Edit: also to my knowledge app is in no way related to elr

2 Likes

Maybe this thread should go in the feedback section as a feature request?
Sounds like a reasonable feature to add, lots of shops here sell mainly pre-mixed vg/pg solutions with and without nic in it.
@daath, you think this will be easy to implement?

2 Likes

Not trivial at present, but I might throw it in the new version (whenever I get around to working some more on it) :slight_smile:

5 Likes

How much do I hate premixed bases… they don’t make sense… expensive and the end result is way off!

Whenever they ask me for some advise and they use 0 Nic premixed bases I don’t really know what to answer… You’ll be adding Nic that’s PG, flavours and it’s more PG… the end result will be what… 70/46??? :rofl::joy:
If it’s an already mixed nic base at best you’ll end up with a 60/50… :joy::rofl:

I know it’s not the real math… because we’re diluting… but still, it’s not that far… and I still hate them… I have to find an answer for them… anyone??

3 Likes

I agree with you completely, and I’m sure the majority on this forum… but it’s what they sell in the shops and it’s just easier if there would be an option in the calculator to deal with it. Processors are invented to calculate, people not so much.

3 Likes

Thanks!
Very useful! :+1:
I was also recommended the eJuice Me Up calculator, but I’m getting warnings regarding negative VG and PG amounts. Maybe I’m doing something wrong. :confused:

1 Like

Thanks for your reply!
The thing about higher PG is that I tend to cough more. Not sure if it is a sensitivity issue, but I assumed it might be, hence the higher VG. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well, considering the number of people with doubts related to premixed bases, It would be very nice and much appreciated if the sellers themselves included not a generic calculator, but a “dedicated” one in the product page. Just sayin’ :thinking:

2 Likes

Thank you all for your help! :+1:

Since the bottle is still sealed, I think I’ll try to sell it to more experienced DIYers already used to premixed base calculations and stick to the formula that works for me, separate VG/PG and a lot of syringes and attention :nerd_face::mask:

2 Likes

Did someone say get scales?

I should make a video of me mixing with scales to demonstrate how fast it is. I can probably mix 8 flavours in the time it takes for you to clean one syringe:)

2 Likes

My thoughts exactly

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005UGBG20/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Takes a little getting used to at first. But a lot less to clean up…

Let’s say we are mixing 12 30ml bottles

Mix by weight nothing to clean up can mix directly into the bottle

Mixing by volume just thinking of it I get dishpan hands…

1 Like

I am the milligramme kind of frog. 1mgx50g scales available from China/eBay/amazon for 10~usd/gbp
0.01gx500g available from similar places.

1 Like

Honestly, e-liquid-recipes does all I need to create my recipes and it has done so since the beginning.
I see lots of people using local apps and what not and while it may be fun to try out new things, I just haven’t had the need for it. Obviously, YMMV.

1 Like