Using Pressure to Infuse Flavor and Speed Steep

I understood that you meant the purpose of a pressure cooker is not to cook via pressure itself, but because the way higher pressure raises the boiling point. This “Rapid Infusion” technique conversely doesn’t consider temperature, and uses pressure to force the solvent into and then rapidly out of material being extracted. SthrnMixer I am sure is positive the ingredients in a pressure cooker are under pressure :wink:

psssst? you know how hard it is to find nitrous cream chargers the day before Thanksgiving in America? I went to so many stores. Walmart looked like someone rolled a grenade in there …ok a big sack of grenades. Not sure other folks outside the US understand or if they have their own Special Occasion Retail store sell outs O M G.

I’m staying home for Black Friday …It’s ON (!) officially and the Holiday Shopping season is full on nuts, but yeah I guess I should let you guys know I bought 3qty X 10per box ($30) little cream chargers. Ha! I only used ONE charger for Thanksgiving whipped cream …so I’m down to my last 29 (these things have a mYsTeRiOuS way of evaporating :wink: ).

Following the “Rapid Infusion” described in the article linked in the original Post (one time uses 2 carts) that means I can do this little test 14 times …and one more whippy cream thing :thought_balloon: at Xmas

1 Like

Interested to hear what you plan to test? What do you have in mind.

The heat in a pressure cooker would be too great to steep flavor concentrates. My mother always used a pressure cooker and so do I. Most often I cook a beef roast, sometimes with potatoes and carrots. If I don’t include the vegetables, then I can use the juice to make a nice beef gravy and make mashed potatoes separately to go with the roast.
Brown the meat with onions and seasonings. Add enough water (3 or 4 cups) to cover the meat. Put on the lid and the weight and set heat to high. When the weight rattles rapidly, turn the heat down only just a little to get a consistent rattle. Cook about 35 minutes. I can smell when it’s done. Let it sit without touching the weight until the pressure plug shows you the pressure is gone. The meat is so tender, it falls apart, and tasty… everyone raves how good it is.

1 Like

That has made my tummy rumble! Yummo! :smiley:

1 Like

Ooooh yum. And you are even using an old school pressure cooker with the jiggly weights. Dangerous yet alluringly cool. Totally no benefit for steeping e-liquid. Super beneficial melting collagen and making the meat fall of the bone.

Could you imagine a beef flavoured ejuice. Torn yes & no another thread perhaps. Weird flavours. http://www.ecblendflavors.com/roast-beef-eliquid-flavor/

1 Like

Coffee of course and Green Tea just made the roster …UNOBTANIUM is so irresistible @Naseschwarz

Wow interesting stuff here I’ll be watching to see how the experiments go !

It is! Keep us posted! I would recommend using another tea, not green tea, though. The reason being is that green tea does not react favourably to heat. With any fine green tea you should never “boil” it, just use water at 60-70C (someone help with the Fahrenheit witchcraft plz?:stuck_out_tongue:). So, if there’s heat involved in the extraction, you would get a nasty, bitter stuff - at least, that’d be my educated guess. Try Pu-erh or any black tea or Tie Guanyin instead, it’s a different flavour profile in terms of tea, but pleasant nonetheless.

This method doesn’t involve heat so will be perfect for green tea. The discussion about pressure cookers I rudely kept answering. The infusion method will be no heat normally.

Not a fan of coffee but interested to see results. Green tea could be cool. Have you done it yet. Or should I get out my isi?

2 Likes

I’ve been super busy (T-Giving!) and the to-do list is keeping me out of the “lab”. I need to mix today and hope to get to this, but please feel free to join in the fun. Ha! Breaking out the iSi is “easy”, it was procuring chargers which drove me to distraction. I could have just ordered from Amazon but the holiday was upon me. I’m all set except for a cleanspace …which requires uh …cleaning :wink:

Also as far as logistics I am contemplating the smallest size cannister (1/4 L). Already the descriptive instructs the use of 2 chargers, and that is talking about 500ml of diluent (PG instead of Gin). Not sure I want to consume my supplies at that rate for testing, or even if successful, create 500ml of a flavoring extract …my tongue suffers ADHD. Now ccontemplating diluent volumes and %s (50/50 PDO/PG?)

You won’t need 2 bulbs for the small isi I think. That’s using a large one.

If the end result is good, I’m sure there will be people more than happy to share some of the flavouring :wink: I’m sure I would if I were around that part.

Very informative thread.

I stopped posting because my “unregulated” testing was outside of manufacturer’s guidelines for Safety. I cannot recommend readers of this thread to follow these tests because they involve uncontrolled pressures. Another thread talked about a device which can almost instantly deliver a “steeped” e-liquid with a very expensive device …High Shear Mixer which blends at a micron level

Forcing a fresh Custard e-juice through your WhipIt cream whipper might get close to “Shearing” but also might ruin an expensive culinary tool :wink: Using a SodaStream to do infusions also breaks a few safety regs. Never try any of these …Read the News, don’t be the News.

I also worry about what is actually getting extracted or compounded …surely a long list of chemicals that would go unknown without spectrochemical analysis. Until I can convert my Mr.Coffee into a Mr.Spectrometer I really cannot discuss this topic like it’s something anyone should consider.

1 Like