USPS in in danger!

9 Likes

I’m not one to add more, and more, and more to bailouts, but if we’re going to save any business/es, we should help save USPS.

10 Likes

I think with this thang they have passed, there are funds to bail them out… not sure if it will be enough.

7 Likes

I work for a company that does a lot of bulk mail and USPS is a bitch to deal with sometimes. And they’ve botched up on a lot of my vape mail so I talk shit about them a good bit. But in reality, with the shear volume of mail that they process and deliver on a daily basis… They do an awesome job!

10 Likes

Yes …i believe your right , seems like the dems and repuicans are both happy and patti g each other on the back …Govt wont let USPS fail . USPS has been non profitable for awhile

9 Likes

The CIVID-19 outbreak has put this country on it’s ass, including the USPS. I can’t believe they would let it happen. The USPS is technically a private company.

2 Likes

If my sources are correct I heard that Trump would like to privatize the USPS. Have you any further information on that?

2 Likes

[quote=“SmokyBlue, post:1, topic:239681”]
Any disruption to the US Postal Service could also hamper efforts for Americans to vote by mail in the November election.
[/quote
…and I thought that was the plan!

3 Likes

I will show up and out. I will not vote by mail :slight_smile:

4 Likes

(New York Times, April 14, 2020):

“What’s an Essential Service in a Pandemic? The Post Office - From the census to the November election, the Postal Service is critical to American democracy”

(Slate, April 14, 2020):

“We Cannot Hold an Election Without a Functional Post Office - Trump’s refusal to save the U.S. Postal Service is an attack on voting rights”

(The Week, April 14, 2020):

“The U.S. Postal Service should not be a business”

The U.S. Postal Service needs to be reabsorbed into the federal government proper, and treated as just another public function. For the majority of its existence, the United States’ Post Office was run as exactly that. … In 2006, Congress … passed a law requiring the U.S. Postal Service to make sure all its likely pension costs are funded for the next 75 years. That’s an enormous financial burden that virtually no one else - be they a government agency or a private company - imposes on themselves, because it makes no economic sense. … that 2006 law created the overwhelming bulk of the U.S. Postal Service’s current money woes. … The combined impact of all this meant the Postal Service was already going to go broke in a few years. The arrival of the coronavirus pandemic simply took the agency’s slow bleed from falling mail volumes and kicked it into overdrive. … The basic point here is that treating the Postal Service as a “market participant” that’s separate from the rest of the government is the root of all these evils. Economically, this division makes no sense; it causes all sorts of confusion in how policymakers think about the Postal Service’s needs and challenges; and it’s in tension with the agency’s fundamental patriotic commitment to knit the country together with universal mail service … the very request for aid buys into the notion that the Postal Service should be thought of as something separate from the government. It shouldn’t be, and the damage wreaked on our society by the coronavirus ought make it clear why. We should undo the restructuring of 1971, and make the Post Office a U.S. government department again - a universal public service that helps tie America’s social fabric, its democracy, and its citizens together.

3 Likes

I will vote anyway I can but I WILL vote no matter what. Problem is, some people can’t do that and rely on the mail. Many GOP have traditionally been mail-in voters and it wouldn’t be fair to eliminate their ability to vote. That just wouldn’t be American, imo. Anyone who is sick or disabled will also be disenfranchised.

5 Likes

Well, it might be a little something something but I spray my mailbox with disinfectant to help protect my mail carriers (and me).

5 Likes

I own 2 1/2 mask respirators and P100 filters. Looks like I’ll be in a short line this fall.

2 Likes