Vandy Vape Kylin Mini RTA review by Mjag....The single coil RTA to beat?

Thank you @Sprkslfly and @OddModicum but I might have spoked too soon :lying_face::grin:

Freemax contacted me today about the Twister kit that I broke on a business trip. They have always been good people over there so I said ok to the new Twister Metal Edition to review. They are sending the coils for the Twister graffiti so I can actually test it and will review it with the metal edition.

I don’t mind doing it for them as generally they make really good products and have been nice to deal with. It was also my fault when the mod fell off a table and broke the glass. More than a week away no way that coil was good anymore and dual coil wasn’t released yet to buy another.

Right now I don’t have any plans but won’t go back to how it use to be. I had weeks where 7 or 8 products showed up and I only knew about 1 or 2 of them, just to much to handle. I won’t compromise spending the time to put products through there paces and that was too much.

I only do reviews to help out the community, not a money making venture. If I can slowly get back to doing only 1 or 2 quality reviews a month that would be cool, every week is just not possible.

I would like to see @Sprkslfly do more reviews, he really gets into the meat of a product, great stuff. A lot of great reviewer’s on ELR but it does look like reviews are slowing down which is unfortunate.

4 Likes

Kind of you to say, but my problem (while slightly different) is that I’m wholly uninterested in reviewing the average run of the mill CRAP that comes out. And it’s rare that something impresses me enough (on the initial impression) to warrant putting in the time and effort that a “proper review” (IMO) should be.
/note: that’s not to say I don’t appreciate, or don’t respect some of the reviewers out there, and what or how they cover things. For instance Pugs does an awesome job! But I just have a different set of things that I look for and expect out of a mod./

I know that may sound harsh, or even “overly critical” to some, given the history of what most of these factories seem to sling out (more like regurgitate and repackage in a new case/chassis, but with the same shitty chip or same half-assed firmware), there’s really no point in doing a review (speaking primarily to mods obviously) other than showing “here’s the latest package
 Isn’t it shiny?” lol

I mean sure, you get the occasional minor improvement, but usually, it’s the same old can of spam or vienna sausage rehashed in a new tin. It’s rare that you actually get a hunk of meat to sink your teeth into it seems.

Given the above, and the fact that I have zero clout with any of these folks (that need “results from reviews”), I can’t expect to “call my shots” and order only what hits my “might be good” list. Especially when established pro’s like yourself are expected to wade through a myriad of unsolicited crap. :wink:

I have been contemplating doing a couple of reviews though. I’ve been pretty impressed with both the Pulse Dual and the Dovpo Topside. But given the “change in circumstances” revolving around the “heart” of the Topside, I think it’s earned it!

5 Likes

Hehe, and THAT is why you’re “the guy” @Sprkslfly . We need more !!!

3 Likes

I’m with you. At first it was fun, but now it just bugs me. I found myself resenting having to take the time to do reviews. Largely as you point out, because the devices I was receiving would never be used again after review. I actually prefer to review something I have purchased. Even then it’s rare that the device is something that really stands out as exceptional.

6 Likes

I hear both you and @SmilingOgre , there hasn’t been much significant to come out in a while aside from the DNA250C. I really hated the surprise packages about 70% of the time, I remember opening one up and this tiny mod that looked like it should have an MSRP of $10 and thought
hell no, I am not spending time on this POS. If they would have taken the time to ask me if I wanted to review it then they could have saved the DHL cost, surely it cost more than the product itself. That company just didn’t GAF even after I told them to stop automatically sending me stuff.

It was fun weeding through the crap to find gems, the only problem was there was a lot of CRAP. I missed out on reviewing products that just needed more time than the 2 or more weeks needed to do a proper review as there was too much stuff. Some of these companies were just not patient and with all the distractions some other products that deserved a review fell by the wayside. The Wotofo Elder Dragon is a good example, I just did not have the time to try as many builds as was needed to get it to shine. When I finally got it to shine it was 6 weeks later, it wasn’t until I saw @Steampugs review that I remembered I had it, hidden behind a juice bottle. I still use the Elder Dragon to this day but never reviewed it, fine little RDA, just odd to look at :grin:

Some products QC is so varied that what a reviewer gets is not indicative of what the consumer gets. The Joyetech Espion is a great example for me, the review mod I got did fantastic TC, I was so impressed I bought a second as I wanted the gunmetal and gave the black review sample to a friend. The second one I got did mediocre TC and I was stumped and pissed. I did go back on some of my reviews, I think all but not sure, and reported my findings with the second Espion. I even had my friend confirm that the review sample I gave him worked the same in TC, yep, he loves that mod. I really almost threw that Espion at a brick wall but luckily Arctic Fox came out with firmware for it and made it better. Still didn’t feel the same as the review sample I gave away though so I suspect it was a hardware issue rather than firmware that was the culprit.

I did learn a lot from doing reviews though, that I am grateful for. I was always a dual coil junkie but use a lot of single coil tanks now, thanks in part to reviewing. I would probably not be using pods if it wasn’t for reviewing as well but always keep 1 or 2 in the car to be discreet and have enjoyed using them. MTL I am still not a big fan of but the Innokin
damn, forgetting the name but the MTL subohm tank Phil Brusardo
ahh, never mind, remembered
the Zenith is a flavorful little bastard, still want to buy the RTA version of it.

I have politely declined a lot of mfg requests for reviews this year but there are still some I will accept if I have the time. Like you, I am not interested in reviewing crap, actually, never have but some things deserve to be exposed. I have thought about only accepting products from companies that have a great track record like Steam Crave and Freemax for example. The only problem with that is then it looks like you only do shill reviews, people generally like reviews where you tear a company a new asshole whether deserved or not.

People who think reviewers are just in it for free stuff don’t understand how much work it is. I am having a lot more fun and satisfaction just buying what I want rather than spending so much time with products I would never buy. I got into reviews to help others and that was always my goal but I also let it get out of hand. One day I might find my way back to it but will do it differently next time. 1 or 2 products in for review at a time is doable but 10 to 15 is overwhelming unless it is your full-time job. I would rather focus on quality over quantity, that is much more satisfying.

6 Likes

@SmilingOgre and THAT makes you “the guy”.

4 Likes

Re: people and the attitude of free stuff
 People’s responses don’t surprise me but at the same time I have to admit I get tired of some of the tude. It’s kinda like being part of a crowd I don’t care to be with. Hard to explain. Bottom line was that I always had something else I’d rather do.

5 Likes

Here on ELR never got a lot of that except for one guy who got butt hurt I didn’t like the Cthulhu mesh RDA. Got the #teamfreeshit junk from him which made no sense, I wasn’t praising a product, just the opposite. Other places like reddit the sharks are circling, hungry to take a bite. After a while it didn’t bother me, I knew I was being honest and opinions are like assholes as they say.

You know I am a fan of your reviews, I am a junky for those tech reviews where you actually test the mods
the number don’t lie :+1:

3 Likes

I appreciate that but honestly they all said the same thing lately. They said that the manufacturer was making false claims. If I run across anything that is impressive, I will do a review.

3 Likes

Roger that Ogre.

Agreed @mjag.

ABSOLUTELY @SmilingOgre and @mjag. I love the deep diving (I mean REALLY deep diving) and the OgreVision scope because quite frankly, I just don’t see anyone else (save @mooch) that really gets it done.

I too tired of getting requests to review this, that, the other, and felt undermotivated. Ended up just buying what I wanted, and made the reviewing even easier.

Keep the OgreVision running !!!

7 Likes