Vandy Vape Pulse 80 Instructions

I have a Vandy Vape Pulse 80 that I’ve been using for a few years and it works well for me. I’ve always used it in power mode but want to experiment with temperature control. I recently updated the firmware to V 0.0.7 and the menu is much different from the earlier firmware version. I haven’t been able to find any documentation explaining the menu functions. I emailed Vandy Vape but have not heard back from them.

Does anyone know where I can find documentation on the menu functions for V0.0.7.

Thanks,
Joe

6 Likes

Try looking and watching this review Djlsb does pretty good explaining about mods

7 Likes

@Joe_Nardy

Vandy Chip Pulse 80W_V007 includes enhancements and improvements for pulse 80w box mod.

New Function:

• ●Output power can be adjusted to 90W.
  • ●The NLS function is available in all modes.
  • ●Added BIR brightness adjustment function,press +/- to adjust 100% 80% 50% 30%;Default value is 80%.
  • ●The FIR (Locking the fire button) is added,When the FIR is on,the fire button will continue to work affer locking.When the FIR is off,the firs button will be locked as well.
  • ●Added RST to restore the original factory settings.Press the + button to select,enter the FACTORY SETTING interface,and then press the + button to select Y.Press the fire button to confirm and restore original factory settings.
7 Likes

Thanks for the replies. The video was very good but was from a lower firmware version and there are still some additional menu items. There is a ‘tools’ menu with the following items:

H
NLS
ST
BIR
FIR
TC
BP
RST

I THINK I have figured out that most of these are on/off functions. BIR is brightness. NLS is No Lift Shift, FIR changes the Fire Lock functionality, TC enables/disables TC mode, BP is something like ‘Burst Power’, RST is a reset, ST is sleep timer, and H turns on Burst Mode.

The video, and one from Tony B really helped me understand how to navigate the menus but it’s still a bit confusing. I just received some stainless wire and am going to play around with temperature control. A lot of reviews say the TC functionality on the Pulse 80W isn’t very good but most of those reviews were from earlier firmware versions so I’m hoping it works better with the new firmware.

Thanks,
Joe

3 Likes

Hey Joe.
I have the same mod with the same firmware and the TC was not really improved. Give it a shot and see if you like it, but I was underwhelmed. The good news is that SS316 wire can be used in power mode and will work perfectly. It may even improve your flavor a little bit. I only use NI80 or SS316 as I get a very metalic taste when using kanthal. Not everybody does though.
Last I read on some of the newer mods, VV still needs to work on their TC performance, but using them as power mods, they do pretty well.
Wish I could help you with the menu settings, but I just raise or lower the power as needed and leave it at that so I don’t remember what it all stands for anymore.
Good luck.

6 Likes

Thanks for the info. Yes, I chose stainless so I could experiment with TC but still be able to use power mode. I hope to spin up some fused clapton wire and make some coils tomorrow. I’ll post up my results once I have time to play around with the modes and settings.

Joe

5 Likes

Update 9/9/22:

First, a bit of back story to this thread. For the past few years I have been vaping with a Vandy Vape Pulse 80 and either a Dead Rabbit or Drop RDA. I mostly used the Drop because it gave me a bit more flavor. I have used Kanthal Clapton coils and used power mode. I recently tried Kanthal Fused Clapton coils and found they gave better flavor with both tanks. With the fused Claptons the Dead Rabbit tops the Drop for flavor. The downsides were more juice consumption, less battery life, and a much hotter RDA. The first two aren’t a big deal as I mix my own juice and have plenty of batteries. The hot tank was more of a problem. So, I did some research and found that stainless wire heats up quicker and temperature control seemed like it would help keep the RDA from heating up as much.

I ordered stainless 316L wire in 24 and 32 gauge to use to make fused Clapton coils and to experiment with TC. This was a bit of a failure as the coils with that size wire were too much for the 80 watt (now 90 watt after firmware upgrade) to handle. I made some single core Clapton coils using the 24/32 gauge stainless wire and the Pulse 8 handles them pretty well. The build came out to .18 ohms. I experimented with TC and found settings that work pretty well. I used the Steam Engine Wire Wizard to calculate the TCF at .000879. I have the Pulse set at 75 watts and 440 degrees farenheit. I’m getting good flavor, decent battery life, and the RDA does not get as hot as it did with Kanthal in power mode. I still think that the fused Clapton coils give better flavor so I ordered some 28 and 36 gauge stainless 316L to try. Hopefully the thinner wire will result in coils that the Pulse 80 can handle and also give better flavor. I’ll post an update once I get the wire and make some coils.

I also have a Smok G-Priv 200 watt mod that’s supposed to be pretty good at TC. I played around with it a bit and found it to be more finicky than the Pulse 80. I prefer the pulse for its smaller size and less weight but would be willing to switch to the G-Priv if I get better TC results from it. I’ll play with it some more and post my results.

Thanks to everyone who offered help and suggestions.

Joe

5 Likes

Happy you found something that works for you!
that’s what DIY vaping is all about: Keep trying until you’re happy with what you get.

3 Likes

I run the VV squonk 90 watt. Run 28/40 3.5 mm ID Clapton SS coils 5 wraps. Ohms out at about .2 dule coil. Vape anywhere between 35-55 watts depending how gunked the coils become. RDA’s run pretty cool and give plenty of vapor on wattage.
You should be happy with 28/36.
The VV’s software doesn’t seem to work well in TC mode so I gave up using it.

6 Likes

Hello Rcleven,

I am writing to you today to inform you that I found your post very informative. While affordable, I do believe you steered me clear of buying this product until maybe they upgrade their firmware to something more reliant. Thank you for your time and we’ll touch base at a later date.

Joel

3 Likes

Joel,

I wouldn’t rule out the Vandy Vape Pulse. Overall, it’s a very nice mod. I bought mine mainly for the Squonk function which is excellent. It’s small and light and can use 18650 or 20700 batteries. Setup is easy, especially if you aren’t using TC. So far, the TC has been working well for me once I came up with appropriate settings for my build. It struggled with my big fused Clapton coil build but that is just a wattage issue. As long as you’re using more moderate builds it’s a great mod.

Joe

3 Likes

Dear Joe,

It was great hearing from you, I was checking my messages and noticed that you had replied and was thrilled. It’s good to see your opinion on this mod, I haven’t had much luck with these mods in the past, maybe just luck of the draw but always seemed to prefer devices with non proprietary components. While I know things have changed from years ago, I guess I’m still a bit uncertain of the quality so it’s been refreshing to hear your take. I will say, I do appreciate the aesthetic of the whole system and I do feel like the designer is a good fellow, so he’s probably not the decision maker on how firmware is handled. Something to look forward to in the future, perhaps will grab it on a surplus sale. Moving forward, I think you’ve got a good team of associates backing you and I’m certain they’ll offer permanent solutions, good luck to you on your vaping adventures.

Sincerely,
Joel.

3 Likes

Yeah i had the same issue in tc mode so said fk it. Didn’t matter the build just it was a hot mess

3 Likes

Update 9/17:

After playing around with different SS wire sizes and single/fused Clapton builds, I found that I get the best flavor using single Clapton 24/32 gauge wire. Fused Claptons using the same gauge don’t work well, the resistance is too low for the Pulse 80 to heat properly and have too little resistance (around .1 ohm) for the G-Priv to even function. Fused Claptons using 28/36 don’t give as much flavor as the single 24/32 with my setup. The 24/32 setup works well with both my Drop and Drop Dead RDAs. Both are dual coil. Building 3 mm coils with 7 wraps results in around .2 ohms which seems to be the lowest resistance that works consistently with TC. I have been swapping RDAs back and forth between the Pulse 80W and the G-Priv 220W. Both seem to work well in TC mode once I find settings that work with my builds. Both mods lose their minds occasionally in TC mode, usually resulting in little voltage to the coils. A restart usually brings the functionality back. I think the G-Priv handles TC better but it isn’t a Squonk so I use the Pulse more than the G-Priv.

The advantages I’ve found using TC mode are longer battery life, longer wick life, and cooler tanks. The disadvantage is more juice consumption. This isn’t really a disadvantage since I think it’s mainly a result of better coil builds, less resistance of SS wire vs. Kanthal, and the ability to take long, thick, flavorful puffs. All in all, I’m happy with my results.

Thanks to everyone who offered help. I’ll update later if I do more experimenting but I think I’ve found a good setup for a while.

Joe

3 Likes

If it works for you, enjoy it my friend.

2 Likes

Hey @Joe_Nardy, it’s great that you’re looking to explore temperature control on your Vandy Vape Pulse 80. It can be frustrating when you can’t find the information you need. While waiting for a response from Vandy Vape, you might want to check out some online resources or forums where experienced vapers share their knowledge.
Additionally, you can explore Dank Geek as they often have helpful guides and information about vaping and related products. They might have some insights that could assist you in understanding the updated menu functions. Happy vaping and experimenting!

1 Like

A year and a half later, and you post shit. I got ripped off from that Dank site. You must be really stoned. :sunglasses: