Vanilla Bean Gelato help...?

I’m still limited on the flavors I have at the moment (I think I have around 45) but I’m kinda wanting to make a fruit ice cream or creamy fruit mix. I’ve tried a few different things with VBG and it’s completely overpowering everything. I’ve mixed it as high as 5% and as low as 1.5% and it’s always the only thing I’m tasting. I do like the flavor, but it’s definitely not a stand alone for me. I really want the other other flavors to play nicely but this dude is being a big bully. With the mixes I’ve made so far, I’ve tested them after a few days and along the way for about two weeks. Still just a big ol’ smack in the tastebuds of the VBG. Is a really long steep going to change this? Or, should I be mixing other creamy flavors with it? My flavor stash is public if anyone wants to take a look and give me your thoughts. Any opinions help. Thanks!!

Oh, and here’s an example of a 1.5% vanilla bean gelato recipe. Tried mixing big flavors into it and I’m just not getting any of them to come through. :confused:

Fluffy Dragon : http://e-liquid-recipes.com/recipe/635077/Fluffy+Dragon

2.5% Blueberry Wild (TPA)
6.5% Dragonfruit (TPA)
3% Marshmallow (TPA)
1.5% Meringue (FA)
3% Raspberry (Sweet) (TPA)
1.5% Vanilla Bean Gelato (TPA)

Flavor total: 18%

1 Like

Odd. I thought VBG was the cleaner version of Vanilla bean ice cream? And I don’t find that over powers at all, often use it up to 3% for a nice creamy kick. I would have thought VBIC would be stronger. If anything is muting the other flavors here, I would have said the marshmallow .

2 Likes

I’ve used VBG in a few recipes @3%, but never had it overpower anything at all. Strange. I wonder if your VBG is tainted somehow.

2 Likes

I’m usually not a huge vanilla fan, maybe it’s just too strong of a flavor for my palette? It just SOUNDS so good, but it’s all I can taste.

@Uncaged, do you have any fruity recipes that you use it in? Maybe I’m not using the right fruits…

This is one of my personal fav’s, it’s simple enough, but damn tasty! The VBIC just adds enough vanilla creaminess to fluff up the Greek yogurt. The Peach and Mango have no trouble coming through.

Long gone day

Ingredient %
Cheesecake (Graham Crust) (TPA) 3
Greek Yogurt (TPA) 7
Peaches and Cream (CAP) 4
Tropical Mango (Molinberry) 4
Vanilla Bean Ice Cream (TPA) 3

Flavor total: 21%

Remember to rate it at e-liquid-recipes.com!
1 Like

I had originally bought it to make a perpetual check clone, and at .75% it doesn’t stand out over anything else, but that’s a STRONG flavor profile.

Could well be this. Or it could be that marshmallow. TPA marshmallow in my experience, doesn’t actually offer much by way of flavor, it’s better at very low % as a sweetener. I think it could mute fruits beyond 1.5-2%. FA marshmallow is much better, actually has that sweet mallow flavor. Try reducing that and do up a small mix of that recipe maybe?

1 Like

I’ll try that. Thanks!

So I literally JUST mixed this up. 5 minutes in hot water, shook the hell out of it, and it’s actually good! I used the Long Gone Day recipe @Uncaged posted and then butchered it to fit with flavors I actually have. I guess I had run out of mango and forgot. Lol (thanks for a starting point!) I looked at my other VBG mixes and most of them are closer to 4% so I think in the future I’m going to keep it at 3% or lower and skip the tpa marshmallow and see how that goes. Thanks for the help!

2 Likes

Sounds pretty good :slight_smile:

1 Like

I am too am really surprised. VBG is usually a late bloomer and steeps around 3 weeks comes out fantastic but to be so bold right out the gate is odd. I have a few flavors that really hog the show for me, maybe you’re just sensitive to it. Try knocking it down to 0.75% and then having the meringue around 0.50 to 1.00 to allow for your fruits to come through. If that still doesn’t go over well add Sour at 1% and it should pick the fruit up and help them pop.

1 Like

I might just be a weirdo. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

No I am pretty sure at those %s 4-5 it would be overload VBG…but if you like being weird than that’s kewl too!

2 Likes