Vanilla custard v1 substitution

I just noticed I ran out of cap vc v1… I want to sub it with fa premium custard but since vc v1 is so much used and abused and premium custard not at all, I’d like someone’s input for a good idea for the sub %.
My recipe asked for 6% vc v1, how much would you sub it for to get a similar result?

4 Likes

I recently ordered (and mixed) some Custard (Inawera) at a low% and was pleasantly surprised at it’s SnV-ability. Here’s a super easy SnV recipe I’m vaping right now. I really liked it fresh …I liked the LOW total flavor% but have to say it has toned way down after a few weeks …and not how you expect a Custard to steep. Maybe don’t mix up a huge bottle, but definitely test a 30ml batch. Of course this could probably be “fixed” by mixing at a higher%. Still a big fan of this recipe as a Custardhead waiting for other CAP Custard V1 recipes to steep (4+ weeks). Testing this recipe is a good look into Inawera’s Custard. Even after steep for a few weeks it’s a light sweet bakery Custard

11 Likes

In the recipe side, the avg for van custard capella and custard premium fa is 3:1, meaning 3 parts van custard capella equals to 1 part custard premium fa (using woftam’s formula How I Sub A Flavor (or Flavour)

So 6% van custard capella is the same as about 2% custard premium fa, I think.

7 Likes

Thanks, I’m not the biggest fan of Zeppola but I’ll give it a try for the sake of using it up. There’s something in it that gives my throat a tickle, not so pleasant.

Still curious about a good % for the premium custard if anyone has a bit of mixing experience with it.
It should serve as a replacement for Kreed’s custard recipe.

4 Likes

Thanks and yes, I know how to sub a flavor. My thing is just that VCv1 is really abused in a lot of recipes on the site while FA PC not so much. I’m not saying this is wrong, just wanted some input from people who have experience with FA and CAP to know if this is OK before I end up with a total mess.
It takes 8 weeks to steep so prefer to get it right first time :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I would suggest you just sit down and do the ol’ SFT with Custard Premium, then compare it to the experience you already have with CAPs VC.

Or if that’s what you’re trying to avoid then…nevermind! :sunglasses:

4 Likes

damn, you saw right through me :smiley:
Yes, I was kinda hoping to skip this… I thought I still had vcv1 and kinda hope for a quick good sub

5 Likes

Well this could be an important thread as VC V1 (CAP) is the reigning King of delicious Custardness. One thing I don’t like is the usual high percentages seen (like 10%). I mean can we cut those percentages with a blending of Custards? I just loaded this one up in the Squonk bottle after checking the original recipe and seeing a 2 week steep (contains 6% VC V1). Maybe even get a reduction in steep times with a “blend” (2 weeks for this one)? Comment on recipe …a little strong on the Vanilla (no subs), but I have 120mls for a longer steep test …Custard seems fine …enjoying that dark vanilla.

3 Likes

I figured as much…but only after I had replied.

4 Likes

Yeah I don’t have the gremlin … is it a 1:1 with holy vanilla?

2 Likes

I had the Gremlin, but read the comments. Its a dark true vanilla …almost a little brown sugary, so not sure (don’t have the Holy Vanilla). Comment was “not a fruity Vanilla”, think he meant not a floral Vanilla. It also becomes a main note and even finish, so that “brown” Note seems key to the recipe’s profile (Custard Bakery?).

Have to add this is really growing on me. Moderately sweet with no added sweetener

4 Likes

Looks interesting for sure, i’ll give it a shot

2 Likes

This might give you a little bit of a comparison , i watched it when it first came out and think he compares the two …

5 Likes

Also @anon28032772 apologies for derailing your original intent. The search for another Premium Custard sub should be easier, eh? My only point was you might be able to blend one …others have (my examples). Maybe we need to shine the Bat Signal and summon some strictly Custard sub ideas. What Custards do you have on hand?

Ok back on the rails Damnit!
:smirk:

4 Likes

Sorry I am not a custard fan so I don’t know because I don’t have Premium C. FA. What I can see from sds is both have more or less same % of vanillin and ethyl vanillin, and the other think, if you care about diacetyl, is that P.C. FA have alot like 2.5% (from the sds again).

2 Likes

Cheers
I haven’t been following this guy for a long time now, I really don’t get how the guy can vape custards from a shake and rave about it like he does though. It’s as if he’s paid by every fricking flavor company :slight_smile:

It did give me back my old idea to remake my favorite Kreed’s custard with Yes We Cheesecake and Custard Premium… guess I’ll just bite the bullet and give that a try. Thanks again.

4 Likes

No worries, you gave me some suggestions and that’s always welcome, you didn’t derail it a million miles away.

The custards I have are:
(FA) Custard
(FA) Custard Pi 3.14
(FA) Custard Premium
(INW) Custard
(CAP) Vanilla Custard v1 (a couple drops left)
(CAP) Vanilla Custard v2 (a few mls left, but it’s old, should probably chuck it out)
(TPA) Vanilla Custard (should chuck it out, old and always had pepper)

4 Likes

That, my friend, is exactly why I got it :wink:

5 Likes

Do a combined Recipe Search on the ELR Home by adding a + (with spaces on each side) lets say…

Custard (Inw) + Custard (FA)

…you get the idea.

3 Likes

Im not sure if he is paid for his opinions , but I have noticed most mixers that are on You Tube seem to be able to make SnV recipes out of Everything … I do like some of the show’s on you tube , and some of the personalities… I just can’t seem to understand how the heavy cream/custard are perfect in a day …

5 Likes