Vanillin discovery

Well, this is an unconcentrated vanilla. To get significant vanilla flavor from it you need to use it at about 10%…so how consistent the concentration is is kinda less important. Again, because it’s not strong like a bought flavor. You can add 3% and it’s not going to overpower anything.

Good question, but I’m not able to tell by taste. I just go by color. TBH I started doing this before I found this forum. I could be suckling in oils that I ought not…but this is not something I’d do high volume or commercially. It’s just one of my tricks to get the vape I want. If I ever find a custard base that I like, it will be my vanilla.

I guess I should put that as a disclaimer. It doesn’t gunk up my coils. It’s also clearly not an option for those with PG sensitivity due to the volumes required. You could also vacuum filter with a Buchner funnel, because vanilla seeds are tiny. Bottom line, and this is for noobs and lurkers, use at your own risk.

1 Like

What is Vanillin?

Vanillin is a vanilla extract alternative made from wood pulp. It is commonly used to reduce production costs. And, unlike real vanilla extract which is produced from real vanilla beans, vanillin is synthetic and may be produced using petrochemicals and byproducts from the paper industry. Unfortunately, because it’s cheap, the stuff is everywhere. Vanilla flavored over-the-counter medicines, beverages, and cookies are all places you’re likely to find vanillin.

Effects of Vanillin

Don’t get too frightened, vanillin isn’t one of the most toxic food additives you’ll find and in fact usually won’t trigger much more than a headache or allergic reaction in sensitive folks. Usually, switching from artificial vanilla extract to pure vanilla extract is all that is needed to avoid issues. Many connoisseurs of the vanilla bean claim vanillin to be an inferior product to pure vanilla extract anyway. If you’re making an attempt to eat quality food, you probably won’t encounter much vanillin anyway.

Benefits of Pure Vanilla

The other thing to consider is that when you’re consuming worthless vanillin, you’re missing out on beneficial vanilla. Vanilla in its pure form has a few health benefits. Real vanilla extract contains a number of antioxidant compounds, at least according to one study. Interestingly enough, this same study claims that vanillin contains a much lower amount of protective activity. Vanilla extract may also be helpful for fighting bacteria.

Choose Only the Best

Vanillin may not be one of the most dangerous food additives, but it certainly won’t provide you the benefits obtained from pure vanilla. If you purchase processed foods or beverages, always choose organic. Most organic cookies, while still not the most healthy food on the planet, often contain pure vanilla. When baking, always choose organic vanilla beans or organic vanilla extract over artificial vanilla. Your health–and your taste buds–will thank you.

3 Likes

Which begs the question… why do you use it in e-juice? Or do you still use it? Just curious.

1 Like

Why? As in why for the vanilla or why for the synthetic part?
I use it for the reasons I specified and I still use it here and there. There’s nothing wrong with it, outside of it’s steeping effects after half a year or so :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Ahh OK. I have been confused as hell throughout this thread. So help me understand. If I have Flv, FA, and MF Vanilla - what would be the benefits of using Vanillin? I am not suggesting it shouldn’t be used. I am just trying to figure out if it is something I should try. What exactly does it do to citrus flavors? Sorry, I missed that part in your first post.

2 Likes

Yeah I think you keep getting confused because of the vanilla part and it just being another vanilla, which it’s not…but it is…but it’s not… haha!
It’s like comparing fresh cream to a bavarian cream…they are both creams but not the same at all. Vanillin smells of vanilla, like a cheap vanilla cookie, but it really doesn’t do the same thing as a french vanilla would do.
Have you ever had Space Jam’s Andromeda? They use vanillin in that and the last thing you would ever guess is there is “vanilla” in it.
Just buy a damn bottle already!! lol! You will never understand what it is by this thread, other than seeing it as another vanilla flavor. :wink:
As far as what it does, if you have had SJ’s andromeda, that’s a great example. Almost an exotic like exhale…can’t really explain it to well, sorry bud

1 Like

Buy a bottle from where??? LOL

Yeah, I have vaped Space Jam Andromeda. I am going to grab the bottle right now out of the closet and try it again. I put a few drops on my dripper a month or so again and wasn’t too impressed because I thought it hadn’t steeped yet.

1 Like

I used to think they wore the patchouli to cover up the smell of the weed. That was until I lived in Asheville, NC for several years and figured out they wear it in lieu of a bath. Nasty.

4 Likes

I think I picked up my vanillin from WL…not sure, it was the first bottle I bought ages ago. You can buy it in a few forms, 10% tfa is what I have.

So damn true @SthrnMixer!!

1 Like

My wife worked at this hippy pizza place in college. They were all about weed and 'shrooms (my wife was not really the sort of person to fit in, but it somehow worked. The chicks were F I N E! But, they were proud of not bathing for 10+ days. They’d reach over to fill your drink and it’d look like they had Chubacca in a headlock, then BOOM a blast of BO and shortly afterward a punch of patchouli would suppress your impulse to wretch. Pizza was good though.

6 Likes

Dude! …ithinkimgonnahurl…

2 Likes

You think that’s nasty? Try getting a close up smell of someone with dreadlocks. I found out just how gross that is when I picked this smartass hippie up and body slammed him on the sidewalk of Merrimon Avenue in Asheville, NC. Those dreads went right on my face when I had him held aloft, stank man, pure stank.

1 Like

The known basic smell of all dreadlocks is that of wet-dog. Yeah, these chick’s had dreads too. . .not the nice kind either.

2 Likes

When I found out how people grow dreadlocks I asked “How the hell can you go without washing your hair for months???”. I guess if you are homeless. But damnit, even so I would find a public shower.

1 Like

Old thread I know.

What are people’s thoughts on vanillin tpa these days?

4 Likes

Old thread but a pretty good read! Some nice lines in there.

TPA Vanillin I picked up because it was cheaper than other vanillas so I figured what the heck. To me it’s a bit weak and not very rich.

5 Likes

I only use MF Vanilla, so far. Wondering what the benefit might be in using Vanillin as well. I can tell @LordVapor, though, that my wife’s dreadlocks smell wonderful! That whole not washing your hair thing isn’t necessary at all to form dreads.

5 Likes

Mine smelled amazing when I had them! Never ever like a wet dog. :wink:

Back on track…

What % did you use (if you recall)? I haven’t sf tested it, actually I’ve only had it in one recipe so far, but my curiosity is piqued from this thread…

4 Likes

I did not SF test it. I used it in three different recipes, and at 3, 3, and 6 respectively. I was not impressed but can’t honestly say I’ve exhausted all possible avenues since I only used it three times so far. I expected something like vanilla extract but it’s not nearly that potent. I have not abandoned it and will do further research eventually.

3 Likes

This has been a good thread thus far …got some good chuckles.

To me vanillin is very similar to ethyl malto, it is lightly sweet and vanillin has a hint of vanilla but not enough to be pronounced. I find it behaves well with rums, oak woods, florals, citrus, tobaccos most earthy robust flavors will benefit from vanillin and I agree @DarthVapor I find it to mute over time much in the way that EM does. A light hand goes better and a shorter steep time,
If you want real vanilla taste buy MF Vanilla or DIYFS HV or Vanilla Overload and the FA vanillas.

8 Likes