Vape Train Australia (VTA) Single Flavor Tests by SessionDrummer

Manufacturers description "Baked warm custard flavour that works well with many style recipes that require a thick creamy custard taste. This is a very universal custard without vanilla that can be used in bakery, dessert and creamy custard style recipes. A must have flavor for anyone serious about their custards. "

Suggested Usage
I’d use as a main 3%-5%, Background 1.5%-3%, Accent 0.5%-1.5%. Standalone 5%-10%
I’d use with Vanilla, Custards, Bakery, Fruits, Nuts and Creams.

5 Likes

Has anyone tried the rice base?

5 Likes
6 Likes

I have not tried it yet, I’m still Recipe testing the VTA, not even close to using half of them yet !!!

6 Likes

Trying to work up how many empty bottles I have, for some MO VTA SFT’s !!! Man, Fizzy Sherbert is a wowwer.

3 Likes

Mixed and steeping …

Avocado Cream 3%
Banana Cream 4%
Biscuit Base 4%
Cherry Liqueur 3%
Creamy Custard 4%
Creme Brulee 3%
Croissant 4%
Chocolate Mousse 3%
Coffee Liqueur 4%
Fizzy Sherbet 3%
Glazed Strawberries 4%
Golden Syrup 4%
Lemon Meringue Tart 5%
Milk Fresh 2.5%
Milkshake Base 2%

15 Likes

Avocado Cream (VTA) 3% (5-3-20) – FIRST one out of the gate, let’s see what we’ve got. I can safely say, I’ve NEVER vaped anything Avocado, so this is a first. Mixed, steeped, vaped, I honestly got little to no Avo, and maybe that’s a good thing, but what I DID get was an unholy deliciously sweet cream, almost HS Ice Cream, but not quite, and with some White Chocolate thrown in ?? This one is a very heavy cream, which sits on the lower side of the sweetness scale, and I can’t help but keep getting an almost Hangen’s Ice Cream, with White Chocolate notes from it. Can’t really find the avocada in here, but the damned good sweet, creaminess of it, just doesn’t seem to make me miss it. I can see COUNTLESS uses for this one, especially for creameries, custards, anything where you want to impart some rich, sweet cream, but without other heavy notes. Continued vaping throughout the tank, had me guessing if it wasn’t a creamy ice cream of sorts. Not super sweet, so this one’s a guesser. NOW, the hard part. About 101% I try to rate flavors to their namesake, and this one really didn’t give me any avocado, BUT, was DAMNED good. Hmmmmm. Let me vape on this …
OK, the only way I can get this one done, will be TWO ratings. As a Avocado Cream, I’d have to go low @ 2/10, for the clear lack OF Avocado, BUT, I can’t just leave it there, as it is TOO damned good to not have this on your must have list, for a sweet, creamy, almost Ice Creamy flavor, which I would rate @ 9.5/10. There you have it, TWO firsts, in one flavor review.

10 Likes

Banana Custard (VTA) 4% (5-3-20) – Have used this one in multiple recipes, but hadn’t had the time to solo it. I think I went into this expecting a banana cream, even had a typo in it’s name here originally (i.e. Banana Cream), and after tasting it thought, “Wait, what …”. OK, not a banana cream here, as the custard reveals itself with a little more bite than a simple cream. The banana is hard to identify as candied or natural, but it works well in this mix. Feels like a 60% custard, 40% banana to me. Because of the BC mix, it’s hard to also directly identify/compare this custard to others, but it has some egg, rich, and low on the sweetness scale. The custard presents almost as half pudding, half custard, and that works well with the banana. Overall, solid banana custard, with no off-notes at the testing weight. Can’t find any flaws with this one, and seems great at 8.5/10.

8 Likes

Has anyone tried the plain butter vs the butter croissant? Is it the same butter without the bakery?

5 Likes

I don’t have the Butter, so best I can do is comment on the Croissant for you @muth.

4 Likes

Biscuit Base (VTA) 4% (5-5-20) – Typically I would never solo vape a biscuit flavor, but I’ve done so a few times thus far, for the love of SFT. I mean, who vapes just a biscuit ?? With that said, this one presented, almost as a combination of Jungle Flavors Biscuit, and INW Biscuit. INW’s is my real go to, for a strict biscuit, but I learned to appreciate different approaches to biscuits after trying JF’s version. I say it presented as a combo of these two, as it had aspects of each. It didn’t present an overtly obvious butter profile, but it felt like it was in there none the less. Nice bakery, with a slight amount of sweetness, similar to JF’s. It also had some elements of the drier, flakiness of INW’s in for good measure. Not to belabor the point, but INW’s is more of an American Bisquik biscuit, and JF’s was more of an English version, which leaned more towards a cookie. VTA’s, is an interesting one, as it straddles both INW and JF’s. How you will use it will vary on what YOU perceive a “biscuit” to be. At 4% it felt relaxed, and not overpowering at all, with nothing off putting. I’m not sure vaping solo biscuits could be considered exciting, but vaping through the tankful proved a non-issue. This will be very useful in basing, and boosting bakeries, cookies, pies, etc., so you can get a lot of use out of this one. As unexciting as biscuits are, this one, was fairly unique, and good. I feel good leaving it at 9.1/10, as I can’t find any takeoffs.

10 Likes

I got the butter base the other day, haven’t mixed it yet but it smells very similar to croissant.
Will mix it in next couple of days finished work for the week now.

I wonder if this is why I prefer JF over INW. Will definitely be getting into this one soon.

I have more VTA than anything else after the 14 I got the other.

5 Likes

Cherry Liqueur (VTA) 3% (5-6-20) – Oh Cherry, what a tortured past we have together. I’m always scared to try a new Cherry as many are just terrible. Medicinal, floral, you name it. Luckily for me, VTA’s Cherry Liqueur had NONE of those off-putting issues. In a previous MFG test, the Cherry had some bad notes on the finish, I reduced it to half, and the problem abated, so you CAN go too high. In this case, 3% proved to be, palatable. It tasted like a red cherry, slightly tart, with an almost alcohol finish, but very subtly so. Now (isn’t there always a now LOL ?), it presented not as a full, in your face Cherry, but actually rather laid back. It DID have the characteristics of a cherry, but at times, it almost seemed as if only peripherally. It’s had to explain, but like a full blown cherry, with the middle hollowed out. If you vape it, you’ll understand. Hinting all around as a cherry, but never a full on cherry. When vaping it, it’s like you are almost expecting MORE of a big cherry in the middle of the vape, but you get solid hints, at the beginning, then the end, but it never really gets the FULL effect. Now, what does this mean ? Well, it’s in no way offensive, so it’s VERY usable, and can be manipulated to further PULL more cherry, which I would recommend. Maybe I’ll re-test it higher to see if it presents a “fuller” profile, but I suspect, it is what it is, until you hit the ceiling. It smells a little tarter than it vapes, but there is just enough tart in the vape. It’s a very good, “safe” cherry, to start to play around with, without the risk of puke, cough syrup, etc. Sweetness was low to mid, and although I cannot think of a direct comparison, I could see this pairing well with Flavor West’s Cherry Crush. As it sits, inoffensive, but not completely inspring at 6.8/10.

9 Likes

Since Bull city started carrying Vape Train, I’ve got a whole bunch of them. They do Chocolates pretty well. I love a lot of their fruits and cream flavors as well. Golden Syrup? Fugetaboutit…

I’ve disliked very few. The ones I did dislike, I might have overshot the percentages… Buttercream Frosting wasn’t too good for me. The vanilla was pretty aggressive making me think I used too much. There’s a few more like some of their jams were disappointing. But for the most part they have excellent flavors.

6 Likes

I’m looking for a BC frosting. If you try it again lower would you be so kind as to give a second comment? I’m working on a wedding cake so vanilla is not a bad thing for me but what do you mean aggressive? Are you just getting vanilla out of this and no BC? Is it a good vanilla?

4 Likes

Can’t wait to try that one @INOIROC.

3 Likes

It was kind of a waxy really strong vanilla flavor. It was a bit unpleasant with no sweetness. I’ll try get to it tomorrow for ya.

3 Likes

Their Orange Tang flavor is pretty good too. I forgot about it and need to mix some up…

3 Likes

Personally, FLV Frosting is best in class.
Try it anywhere from 0.3% to 0.6%.

If you need, you can always add a splash of your favorite vanilla or chocolate to twist it into whichever direction you like… (or strawberry or blueberry or… lol)

8 Likes

Okay, this is not the first time I’ve heard that so I may as well give it a try. I have it. Just haven’t SFT yet.

3 Likes