Vaping/flavour bans: let's marshal our arguments

Lots of them out there

3 Likes

Yes, those folks (occasionally) write something somewhat interesting. Also see this companion article:

https://www.acsh.org/news/2019/09/10/can-chemistry-explain-vaping-lung-14277

My goodness, that ACSH commenter who goes by the name of “Lightning” sure piles on the verbiage ! One can find a legacy of CDC/FDA exposure and criticism on their Disqus Profile page. Must be an “insurgent” !

2 Likes

Another two quotes from an ACSH article:

After the U.S. FDA delayed what we termed a rather Draconian halt to vaping devices (despite our testimony at the White House) and shortly after the FDA met to consider a non-combustion tobacco alternative called iQOS, quit-or-die smoking groups began to attack a little-known product called Juul.

Authoritarian groups seeking bans on devices like Juul… isn’t going to prevent smoking. It will encourage it. And it is causing young people to ridicule AAP, odd bans based on ‘youth are patsies duped by a tiny company’ patronization makes them think pediatricians are out of touch. They are making videos strapping Juul devices to balloons floating into the sky with sad music in the background. They are not really getting rid of Juul, they are getting rid of trust that the AAP is about protecting kids.

by Dr. Charles Dinerstein, M.D., MBA, FACS , Senior Medical Fellow at the American Council on Science and Health.

3 Likes

This is brilliant.
Thank you Jay210.

3 Likes

Surprising (to me, at this point) to see The Washinton Post give voice to a healthy “insurgent” view:

(September 16, 2019; Opinion): “A vaping ban would be hysteria masquerading as prudence

3 Likes

Censored by the Snively Seattle Times

I read this asinine candy-ass load of abstruse and pernicious garbage from the “editorial board” of the main local paper rag (perhaps ~2 Million readers), and a handful of idiotic comments. So I couldn’t help but assume that they might accept being called-out for their moral leprosy:

Really disappointing how factually lame and disingenuous this purposely blinded (to the dominant causations well known and discussed), speciously reactionary, and on balance morally negligent screed has been crafted and foisted upon the public.

For readers seeking the actual known facts as well as considering the public policy dangers surrounding ham-fisted, knee-jerk, breathless, brainless throttlings and prohibitions, instead read Dr Michael Siegel, Professor in the Department of Community Health Sciences, Boston University School of Public Health. He has 32 years of experience in the field of tobacco control. He previously spent two years working at the Office on Smoking and Health at CDC, where he conducted research on secondhand smoke and cigarette advertising. He has published nearly 70 papers related to tobacco. Skip this evidently useless Durkinville Rag’s agitprop, and instead read Dr Siegel’s highly informative blog posts for accurate and relevant information surrounding recent events, as well as the government’s absurdly intellectually and morally dishonest behaviors.

(Linked-to below in chronological order):

https://tobaccoanalysis.blogspot.com/2019/08/in-my-view-cdc-and-health-groups-bias.html

https://tobaccoanalysis.blogspot.com/2019/09/

~2 hours later, it’s looking very likely that my curmudgeonly ravings are just not “getting with the program”.

3 Likes

They deleted your comment? I couldn’t find your comment there.

1 Like

Nice try, Raven. But we do know, don’t we, that a calm , respectful, fact-based approach itends to be a whole lot more effective than an hyperlexic stream of abuse? :wink: I know, I know, that requires an unhealthy level of teeth-gritting , but I would have stripped down your comment thus:

*For readers seeking the actual known facts as well as considering the public policy dangers surrounding ham-fisted… prohibitions …read Dr Michael Siegel, Professor in the Department of Community Health Sciences, Boston University School of Public Health. He has 32 years of experience in the field of tobacco control. He previously spent two years working at the Office on Smoking and Health at CDC, where he conducted research on secondhand smoke and cigarette advertising. He has published nearly 70 papers related to tobacco… read Dr Siegel’s highly informative blog posts for accurate and relevant information surrounding recent events, as well as the government’s absurdly intellectually and morally dishonest behaviors.
(Linked-to below in chronological order):

https://tobaccoanalysis.blogspot.com/2019/08/in-my-view-cdc-and-health-groups-bias.html

https://tobaccoanalysis.blogspot.com/2019/09/ *

(i figure you can possibly get away with abuse aimed at the Government, but probably not aimed at the publication; might be wise to tone that bit down, though. If people actually read Siegel’s blog, they they can easily form their own conclusions to that effect )

Annoyingly,you have to create an account with The Seattle Times to read the comments. Am not prepared to do that. Have created “free” accounts with some other online rags, only to find all but the headines (and first few tantalising lines of the articles) hidden behind a paywall immediately thereafter. Looks like those free accounts are all-too-often used as a means of policing you and spamming your mailbox, with zero advantage to the reader. . sigh

Would be interested to see if anyone made it through with a similar post.
Thanks for those great Siegel links :+1: I’ll add them to the list a bit later

2 Likes

Any further info on this pair? Like, has it been established how far their shoddy operation contributed to the latest vaping scare? In any case, that bust really needs to be kept in the public eye, IMO

2 Likes

Speaking of annoying.

1 Like

Before jumping to conclusions. Just maybe they should look into FlavourArt and all the testing they already have done and available.

START HERE
https://www.clearstreamonward.com/en/about-us/

Since 2015 we have developed an innovative method to faithfully reproduce vape and its effects on human lungs

To evaluate the safety of vaping products, the parameters related to cell viability , functional damage and inflammatory response are measured and evaluated.

From Method – ClearStream Onward>

2 Likes

In the Paddock Lake home, authorities found $59,000, eight firearms and ammunition, 0.6 grams of cocaine, 10.6 grams of marijuana, nine cell phones, Xanax pills, and drug paraphernalia.

In the condo, authorities found 31,200 vape cartridges filled with THC and 98,000 cartridges unfilled. They also found 57 mason jars filled with approximately 1,616 ounces of refined liquid THC and 18 pounds of marijuana.

“They get the empty cartridges, bring them into their condo, pay 10 people to come in and inject them and then they ship them out,” Beth said.

Many of the cartridges were disguised in packaging that mimics candy. Sheriff Beth is warning parents to be on alert. Anyone can buy the packaging online.

“You never know what you’re getting your hands onto, and you can get seriously sick from stuff on the street because it’s not labeled correctly,” said Sheriff Beth.

1 Like

Authorities say he was manufacturing up to 5,000 vaping cartridges a day. Tyler Huffhines told officers he had ten people working for him, filling the cartridges with THC oil, the illegal active ingredient in marijuana.

“Basically he began it with 100 cartridges, and it’s now grown to a point where by my calculation, from the product that was removed from the residence, the approximate street value is 2.2 to 2.5 million dollars. This is a very, very large criminal enterprise,” said Lesli Boese, Waukesha County Deputy District Attorney.

Still, when police raided the condo the brothers rented to run their operation, they found almost 130,000 cartridges and more than 100 pounds of THC oil. In the Huffhines’ family home, they found tens of thousands in cash.

1 Like

it was 5… now up to 6… and only knows how many more… IN MY CITY!! :frowning_face:

http://wyff4.com/article/5-possible-cases-of-vaping-related-illnesses-identified-at-upstate-hospital/29089757?src=app&fbclid=IwAR26I8ezoNwiYx4vFWlT89yF46z4tHKKGBvfpmNEqQ6_PFLYlBCQDFq-4ps

2 Likes

hey! been meaning to say that I understand why i pissed you off, and unreservedly apologise,

Also apologise for the delay. i’m going through a veritable shitstorm IRL as it happens, which is totally sapping my energy.

Also, been wondering if this thread was such a good idea after all? I dunno. But if anybody wants to take it over, feel free. I dunno when this shitstorm is gonna release me :frowning:

2 Likes

Jay, worry not, my friend. Your intentions are good and your heart is in the right place. We are both relatively intense and thorough chaps. Public forums are not unlike herds of cats. On this one, as well as a few others that I have lurked and posted on, and nearly universally, attention spans and memories tend to be short, and pretty much any and all attempts that I have ever made to suggest “this or that” have met up with the “law of foral chaos”. I don’t hold grudges.

I do apologize if my own reactions (and some passing, but not major, irritations) may have been unsettling. Worry not. (We) have been compiling quite a bit of ongoing information in various posts and threads in the meanwhile. I figure that sharing information (and references to resources where more information may be discovered) may be the best that one can do. Various folks have differing attention-spans and levels of interest and action in response. Even best intended attempts at conversing in regards to “action plans” - in all groups, especially public forums - can become stressful. Everybody tends to think differently. Passions may excite, but need not necessarily alienate.

Hoping that you will be feeling stronger regarding what you are going through over time. All persons affected by these horrible public policies (drug laws being at the core) deserve empathy and respect. The “kids” are soon us, and should be supported, as opposed to being scapegoated. Such product contaminations can happen to anybody. Older Nicotine aficionados can (and should) find that humanity and maturity within us. Deceived and let down by all too corporate-friendly politicians and a repulsive click-bait-toady press, regular folks have to stick together - and find workable ways around the tyrannies being reigned down upon us !

PS - I recently penned a post that you might (perhaps) find somewhat meaningful about some things here.

3 Likes

Hang in there @jay210.

2 Likes