Vaping in cold weather

In past years I’ve noticed that when I need to vape outside during the winter months, my tanks don’t always cooperate. When I need to vape outside I’m usually either going to be at work and need a quick nic fix on my break, or I simply want to get it done and get back inside out of the cold. Either way, it needs to be a fast little chain vaping session and I always seem to end up burning my wicks because they can’t keep up with the cold liquid. Has anyone else experienced this and found a solution to the problem? It’s pretty annoying. :confused: I was considering raising my pg ratio a little bit to thin out the liquid, or possibly using some distilled water and/or vodka in my recipes. But maybe my wicking needs to change more than the liquid? I don’t know. Any tried and true methods out there for getting cold liquid to wick correctly would be greatly appreciated!!

7 Likes

Maybe giving your tank a few pulses before you go outside just to warm your chamber a little before you vape on it, it just needs to be a bit warmer before you take it outside I think, you dont need to vape on it indoors and shouldnt give off that much vapor.

8 Likes

Good idea, that definitely couldn’t hurt.

6 Likes

Increase your nic at work so you won’t have to chain vape or take huge puffs, simply vape as normal and have a satisfying nicotine intake.

8 Likes

I just use a few drops of DW in the tank when i refill

5 Likes

Failing that you could always build your own personal little winter cabin outside work with central heating and a log fire…which is what I would do …but then I’m next level diva…:smiling_imp:

11 Likes

I’ve considered that too. Maybe keeping a high nic pod setup in my pocket would keep it warm enough. The only thing is that part of the satisfaction for me besides the nicotine is the full lung feeling, so if I can figure out how to get that in the cold it would be preferred.

5 Likes

That seems like the easiest solution! :laughing:

5 Likes

I like that idea, that way I wouldn’t have to change my recipe or have different outdoor/indoor liquids.

5 Likes

In that case I’d consider 2 things: VG/PG ratio and your choice of tank.
Make sure you vape on a tank that has big enough wicking holes and don’t open your airflow completely to keep as much cold air out as possible.
And use temp control so you don’t scorch your wicks. There’s a good variety of RTA’s that provide large enough wicking holes.

A bigger ID of your coils should help too. While inside, the wick will contain enough liquid for a good pull and while doing that, you heat up the tank with the temp of the coils, making the liquid a bit more fluid.

You could get a squonker too, you can really drench your coil/wick before each puff.

7 Likes

:woman_facepalming: I literally can’t believe I didn’t think of that.

6 Likes

When I am in this situation, I just loosen my top cap till I see bubbles then immediately tighten it back down. Squonking is the better solution though lol and you get the benefit of better flavor.

4 Likes

If you don’t have a way to squonk or drip right now, maybe doing a non-firing pull between puffs will replenish the wicks more efficiently. Or, release the firing button but keep pulling after you get enough vapor on each puff to pull more juice to the wick.

4 Likes

Outside (lol pun intended) of changing to an rda, changing to a different tank, or changing pg/vg or other components…

I try to wear a fleece jacket that has a breast pocket. As long as your device fits it will warm up after a few minutes. While in the car turn on the head and hold the tank up to the heater.

Both methods I use for all of winter and fall here in the pnw. It’s always cold. Lol.

6 Likes

That’s been my solution too, but it usually only gives me one good pull, maybe two. It’s just… annoying. Lol

4 Likes

I do have several of each, and I considered using an rda but it’s kind of a pain in the butt to have to drip while I’m on my break, because that’s my time to goof off on my phone and vape and I don’t have a third hand, so… :joy: And I still feel pretty stupid for not considering squonking as a solution considering I already have that at my disposal!

5 Likes

Squonking could be worse because that hole is so tiny. Depending on how cold it gets it may be hard to squonk.

Two days ago my squonk setup/bottle got all jacked up and couldn’t use it on my drive home. Somehow the air pressure and connection was out of wack. Long story short. Cleaned the bottle and inside and it was all good. Thankfully I have multiple setups with me at work.

6 Likes

Well now, you could get creative and craft yourself a quilted Christmas mod-sock in red and green to go over your mod and tank! Shaped like a Christmas stocking or Christmas tree! Dress your vape up like a candy-cane!

5 Likes

I think you’ve got all the bases covered above, but I was leaning towards thinner (leaning PG) mixes, maybe (on rebuildables) fluffing/thinning the tails out a bit more to ease the flow a bit as well.

3 Likes

I’m not even playing, this has been considered too. :laughing:

Ok maybe not the whole Christmas tree thing, but that’s festive! I like it! It’ll look nice inside the cabin that I build outside of work. :crazy_face:

5 Likes