VG Based Flavourings

Hi guys, I’ve been brewing with PG based flavours for my blends and it has worked out very well. I have just recently sourced VG based flavourings from the US. I was wondering if I use VG based flavourings will my blends have less throat hit??? Would VG based flavourings make my blends better in terms of taste???

Hi,
Pg carries flavor better in most instances, and yes, it has more of a throat hit than Vg. Vg can mute flavors, give a “smoother” Vape, and a thicker “cloud”.

1 Like

I am kinda curious why are you wanting to change if it is working really well?
Most only go to straight VG mixing when they find they are having a allergic reaction from PG.The reason they give is because PG is a better carrier of flavor and they get more of a throat hit.
I can’t really say for certain because I haven’t had to go straight VG.I do mix at a 70/30 mix and have no problem with flavor using 70% VG.I am also good with the throat hit at that ratio but a few people do prefer to feel it more.
Good Luck , and maybe @Amy2 can help?

I was curious to know which was why I asked. I didn’t realise PG carries the flavour better until now. Thank you so much for the info.
I guess I just have to reduce the percentage of flavouring in my blends to get 70/30 or even 80/20 to get a better ‘cloud’. Anyway I guess I’ll just stick to what’s working for me now. Again thank you so much for responding!!!

2 Likes

You are welcome and good luck . I have used flavoring that is VG based and it had plenty of flavoring for me.The only difference I had was it seemed to take a longer steep time for the flavors to blend together. You can always mix up some small 10ml test batches and see how it goes ,I think you will get plenty of clouds even with a 60/40 mix.

1 Like

PG or VG based isn’t the only reason to try different flavors. If you are referring to Real Flavors VG based flavors, this is truly the case. They may be VG based, but they are also GREAT FLAVORS in their own right, and their offerings are very very tasty.
Even with VG based flavors, you can add some PG as a flavor carrier to help it along. The benefit here is that you can totally control how much PG is in the mix. 20% flavor with a PG/VG ratio of 10/90 is possible using VG based flavors.
So many flavors, so little time. :smiley:

3 Likes

This is a bit of old school thinking :smiley:
Trust me when I say this… With a bit of science both these are solved.

VG will eliminate the harshness from PG and produce a smoother vape. They are a bit harder to use as you may need apply heat or let them sit a bit longer. None the less VG flavors can actually make some flavors pop better than their PG counter parts.

6 Likes

All the many main points have been hit.

Of course you can easily hit a 20pg/80vg mix using flavorings from FA and even INW. Maybe even close to 10pg/90vg. Tough to hit 5pg/95vg though.

I always second guess myself when adding 5% vanilla custard cap v2 to a fruit mix when I see how much volumn it is when mixing by weight…especially when I use another cap flavoring or tpa flavor as well as everything else.

1 Like

Thanks for all the input and advice. Truly appreciated. I reckon the best way is to try in small quantities as in 10ml blends to see what works best. So far the main characteristics of my blends are that it’s smooth with a good throat hit despite being Fruity Flavour based. Most fruity flavour based blends on my side of the world is just smooth with minimal to no throat hit. Gaining a few fans who want a throat hit in their Fruity Blends. Will let you all know how this pans out. Again thank you so much for your input

1 Like

Agree 100%. If I use 1% vodka in the vg and heat it for an hour it’s bonded into the vg and ready to vape in 3 days.

I don’t agree that it’s “old school thinking” at all lol. We’ve known all along that PG is much harsher to Vape than VG, and we’ve also known that heat and time brings flavors out. But with heat and steeping, many flavors change and/or diminish altogether, especially when mixed in VG. This often makes it necessary to change a recipe altogether in order to achieve the desired flavor without the need of much heat and/or steeping.
There’s always an exception to every rule, for example, creams and tobacco flavors need time to develop whether mixed in PG or VG.