Wattage vs Voltage?

is there any difference and/or benefit to using one or the other ?

4 Likes

Wattage is simpler to use only because everything in vaping is calibrated to wattage such as suggested power ranges for coils. Within the mod itself, it is the voltage that is changed to reach a desired wattage setting. Wattage is also a much more expanded scale i.e. 5 to 200 watts vs 1 to 6 volts. Akin to a fader on a mixing board, a longer fader is easier for making fine adjustments. In the end both do the same thing, vary the power delivered to the coil.

11 Likes

thanx

is there a basic comparison for watt and volt ? like say, 80w is ?volt, or to many variables ?

6 Likes

When you are using watts, the mod does calculations for you and applies the correct voltage to the coil. To calculate wattage from volts applied you have to use [voltage] squared divided by resistance.

Example: You set the mod for 4V and you are using a .5 ohm coil. Four squared = 16. 16 divided by .5 = 32. You are applying 32 watts of power to the coil.

7 Likes

thanx :slight_smile: :+1:

5 Likes

This is where the fun comes in with a mech mod. Take for instance a single battery mech that has 4.2V available. In the above you can see that 4V applies 32 Watts. Kinda puny wattage for most .5 ohm coils. Finding the right combination of coil and battery is a trick.

9 Likes

And course if you go over, it’s your brains painting the walls around where your head used to be :sunglasses:

6 Likes

Lol, ya. Nothing like sucking on a pipe bomb.

8 Likes

@SmilingOgre I know you know Ohm’s Law, but if some people actually knew the amount of current they were pushing, they’d probably be surprised.

5 Likes

No doubt they would. I’m surprised there aren’t more “accidents”. I like Mouch’s rule of thumb; about 75 watts per 18650. The other thing I think some folks would be surprised about is that on many mods a setting of 200W still only applies 150W to the coil. I cringe when I see a reviewer like Mike Vapes loading up a single battery mech with a .15 ohm coil. He’s asking that battery to supply 28 amps. That’s a massive amount of current. Granted, the battery won’t do it as it will sag like crazy but it’s also developing one hell of a lot of internal heat trying.

6 Likes