We need some recipe help with this pancake mix

Hey everyone,
We have created this pancake recipe 7 days ago and we now need help or advice on what we should do. The day that we mixed it, we could taste the sweetness of the maple and a slight taste of pancake before putting it away to steep. Today we thought we would vape it and see how its coming on which has left us scratching our heads a bit, as the flavours are all there (but not balanced still), but there is also a strong peppery after taste that it leaves in your mouth which is horrendous to say the least.
We have never mixed any pancake recipes before, so this is a first and we are looking for answers as to what may be making this mix taste like a peppered pancake. Below is the recipe, so if anyone can help us out it would be much appreciated and thanks in advance
1.25% Cotton Candy (10% EM/Ethyl Maltol) (TPA)
1.50% Golden Butter (CAP)
2.00% Maple (Pancake Syrup) (CAP)
4.00% Pancake (TPA)
2.00% Waffles Vanilla (FA)
Flavor total: 10.75%

6 Likes

Well bakeries are not my native area but I do see a lot of EM in this blend: The EM added and other flavours. The other culprit could be the nicotine giving a peppery taste but, you only spotted this on this particular blend (And I doubt that you’ve created a personal hybrid nicotine which would cause a clash)

So, I’d suggest dropping the Cotton Candy to 0.35% and see if that removes the issue.

Recipes can vary a lot from minor effects: most have a metallic edge, if I haven’t had a big meal.

5 Likes

I’m missing some flavors but would drop the EM and use Cap Super Sweet myself, also drop the Pancake to 2% and go 3 week steep.
Are all your flavors fresh, not sure about those but certain flavors do get peppery if old / degraded…

6 Likes

@SquirrelSmash Thanks for that information and we will definitely look at doing what you have suggested. We will more than likely make a few different variants now and see what works and what doesn’t. Thanks again. K&M

3 Likes

That’s the best way. Also remember that any old recipe is based on old devices: I tend to test on staggered coils at 0.08 which is worlds away from the days of using 0.5 ones.

Also follow @Rocky02852 's advice: He knows a lot on the bakery side.

A concentrate check is also worth doing: A chat with @Ken_O_Where and me centred on one Flavorah being out of date.

5 Likes

Biggest thing may be that you have not steeped it long enough too. I find a lot of “bakery/dessert” profiles need three weeks or more for my preference.

5 Likes

You added a detail I missed. I forgot that I give all a month before testing and then keep a second to see how things are after 6 months.

5 Likes

@Rocky02852 thanks mate, we will give that go.

4 Likes

Hi lanc, thanks for the info and yes we have found this out. Things that were made a few weeks ago are starting to come alive just this week, so we are guessing as @SquirrelSmash we will leave one for the 6 month test as well. Thanks again.

6 Likes