What are You listening to? 2024

John Fogerty has written some incredible songs. He is one of the folks that would be a blast to see live. Such good memories that go along with his music.

2 Likes

My niece’s favorite group. Unlike @rcleven , I never got to see them live in Chicago. Was always jealous of another high school who had them play at their prom and we were stuck with Styx. Just kidding, Styx are great. Saw them as Styx multiple times in high school and when they were TW4 (before they were Styx).

3 Likes

I did get to see Creedence Clearwater Revisited (which was half of the band) so that’s as close as I’ll get. Took my mom and never knew a woman in a wheelchair could dance so well :grin:

3 Likes

I remember the lawsuit against John Fogerty from his old record company regarding his live performances. If I remember correctly the record company wanted him to pay them for playing his songs in concert because they owned the rights to them. Very sad. I also seem to remember the judge tossing out the part of the lawsuit that claimed he sounded too much like the lead singer of CCR (which he was). Crazy stuff.

When that record company (I think Fantasy Records) was bought out, the new owners let John know he was VERY welcome to sing all of the songs in concert with no payment.

I hope my memory is not too far gone.

3 Likes

Your memory is on point. John is a native San Francisco Bay-Area boy (Berkeley born), and I was living there at the time of the lawsuit. Everyone I knew followed that story. He’s very well regarded there and the lawsuit was horse-shit.

3 Likes

Going to see Fogerty @ Red Rocks in August. He’s a LEGEND…WOOT WOOT!!!

8 Likes
7 Likes

@muth, Rick is a musical genius IMO.

2 Likes

That is so spot(ify?) on. I distinctly remember, as a teen, peddling my bike over to the mom & pop music store to grab the new Zeppelin or Sabbath, etc.

And It Was An Event.

facepalm-Homer-Simpson

8 Likes

I thought of you when I watched this vid. I had a feeling you might appreciate it. When I returned to school as an adult learner, I wrote my thesis based on the controversy of using computers in the music industry. That was back in the 90s when the Milli Vanilli scandel was all the talk. Listening to what Rick had to say about today’s technology was mind blowing. I’ve always been aware of the technology but the way he juxtaposed the differences and emphasized, imo, the most important element of music, the heart and creativity of the living human, is what really hit home…thx for tuning in :wink:

2 Likes

Oh yeah! Just looking at the artwork on the cover and reading the liner notes was an experience in and of itself. I can’t believe that childhood joy doesn’t exist anymore :cry:

2 Likes

It was just different to hold my music in my hands, whether it was an album, CD, cassette, or (gasp) 8-track. The best I can seem to do these days is my music on my flash drive :grin:

4 Likes

“I am jealous of the time that you grew up in”

3 Likes

@robrrt1 I love watching reactions from people in completely different genres …

3 Likes

I love watching the reaction videos. At least it gives me some joy to see how the younger generation just gets blown away. That’s a good sign.

3 Likes

I remember seeing one with a young lady (late 20’s - early 30’s) hearing Elvis sing for the first time (how is that even possible???) and she said she was pregnant by the end of the song. LOL

4 Likes

Lol, it’s hard to imagine. That’s why I think it’s a good idea that some films are coming out about the lives of these icons. After they see that they’re going to want to search up the real thing. As for being pregnant by the end of the song…that’s the sense of humor I appreciate about our young ones. They crack me up.

2 Likes

@muth, agreed, maybe there IS some hope. :slight_smile:

1 Like

It’s our responsibility to enlighten them on the differences…the feeling of being in the zone, the experience of the flow when you and your instrument become one vs working on a computer (DAW, etc.) They’re missing out on the MAGIC!

3 Likes

Try a guy who likes gangster rap taking on a Billy Joel song. This one is actually pretty amazing

6 Likes