What are you reading? 2023

Since we have a What are you watching thread on here. I thought some of us don’t watch much TV but prefer to read. My current selection is Valley of the Apes by Michael Mayes. It’s an interesting book on the research being done in southeast Oklahoma by a group of dedicated researchers on the subject of Wood apes (AKA the North American Sasquatch- Bigfoot). Yes I’m one of those people I have a great fascination in the world of crypids or unknown animals. So let’s hear about what books your currently reading.

9 Likes

We do have one but it isn’t often used. So, this can be the current home for such things.

For the expansion of my own knowledge I’m reading about quantum biology. Particularly the relationship between photosynthesis and quantum tunnelling.

https://royalsocietypublishing.org/doi/10.1098/rspa.2018.0674

Oh, I do have a soft-spot for cryptozoology too: I think that’s not a surprise with my other interests. Many cryptids are just mad, like Gef - The Talking Mongoose and the chupacabra (most now accept that Giger’s designs for Species were the key factor in most reports), though ones like olgoi-khorkhoi (the Mongolian Deathworm) grab my attention.

But the region always intrigues me, leading to shock amongst natives around my knowledge surrounding Chinese ghosts, entities and cryptids.

5 Likes

Just finished a reread of the Outlander series. Not sure where I’m off to next, likely something to do with dragons, sword & sorcery and winsome wenches

6 Likes

Be careful with those wenches: They can be sirens to most except if you can throw a bard at them first (Still trying to see how niche I can make a joke - D&D ones is a good test).

Oh and one of the versions, covers, remixes and variants I listen to when painting a seascape may inspire you:

I always find it inspiring when trying to capture the waves. Reading The Odyssey et al will also enrich it for you.

4 Likes

Been reading mostly inane stories by Christopher Moore and the Demon Mart Series by D.M. Guay. Been itching to re-read Dumas’ Three Musketeers lately so that may be my next one.

5 Likes

Billy Summers - Stephen King

I’ve had to restart three times due to vision issues, hopefully the third time is the charm

6 Likes

That was a GREAT book IMO. One of my favorites from the master storyteller.

5 Likes

It’s a good book but I am biased, I love them all :wink:

6 Likes

Though I don’t read that genre anymore, I always appreciated Stephen King’s work. Though my favorite is “The Stand”, I always smile at “Pet Cemetery” because my brother’s dog is referred to by name when they are reading some of the headstones. Stephen liked her so much he put her in the book and asked for a pup from her next litter. My brother was thrilled.

4 Likes

Ahhh, yes. One of my all time favourites. I was quite disappointed with both of the series they created as they did not correlate to the books for me. I have never watched a movie/series based on a book that has worked for me yet. Characters are never what I imagined so that ruins it for me.

5 Likes

Well I would be too.
He is my favourite author (& hubbys too), one of the many things we had in common when we met.

Ditto! The Green Mile & Shawshank redemption are two movies that did very well in translation I think.

And no I still haven’t finished Billy Summers, which is disappointing for me, I normally finish his books in a session or two.
I’ll have to try reading during the day (:laughing: like they will happen :roll_eyes:).

3 Likes

Yes, yes and MORE yes on that one @Cary1.

4 Likes

I totally understand that. There is something that he triggers with his writing that you can imagine it easily, but when it’s on a screen, it just doesn’t cut it. My Dad was a big King fan and got me into it as well. I remember telling him that his endings weren’t the greatest and my dad asked me if I enjoyed everything leading to the end. I said yes, and he said: “sometimes your journey is far better than your destination”. Since then, it always comes to mind when I read a King book.
I have to admit that I’m looking forward to seeing The Boogeyman. I read that when I was 12 or 13, and couldn’t sleep well for months. To this day, I make sure that damn closet door is shut before I go to bed.

5 Likes

If you liked The Stand…

ss_10_pb_s

6 Likes

An excellent recommendation!

4 Likes