What aroma do you use to make a "condensed milk"?

Hey ELR,

Last week, my wife and I made an actual Key Lime Pie (in Germany). It was #%^*ing awesome!

The recipe was as follows:

150g biscuits, 50g butter, 40g sugar - pie crust

180ml lime juice, 200g Greek yogurt, 2 cans “SWEETENED CONDENSED MILK” - filling

So my question to you guys is, what can i use as condensed milk when I translate this recipe to an e-liquid? I’ve read pretty bad reviews about whatever condensed milk aromas exist. The most popular seems to be Purilum, but most people say it’s just like a powdered milk with sugar, and that’s not what I’m going for at all. Does anyone have any suggestions for me? I’d really appreciate it!

Cheers,
Igor

P.S. I tried to use 3% TPA Greek Yogurt, but the results were less than promising.

10 Likes

@IggyZ I would start with this …

9 Likes

@IggyZ i have worked for n a few KLPs over the years. Key Lime is one of my favorite fruits. So of course KLP is my absolute favorite. I have used a good not super eggy custard like FA Custard in combination with like .25 FA Condensed Milk (and believe me don’t go above .5 with it). Using Purilum Condesed Milk would also work good just don’t go too high with it. I’ve also had success using fa Custard with a creamy yogurt like Cap Creamy yogurt.

9 Likes

The INW Lime Monster has a mild wafer cookie note that pairs well with Shortbread Cookie for a good shortbread crust that doesn’t take away from the Key Lime Filling. The lime note in lime monster is slightly candied so I pairs well with the more natural FA Lime Tahiti. The use of a custard with Condensed milk and Creamy yogurt creates a thick lime flavored filling similar to how an actual key lime pie filling tastes. Since an actual KLP filling it made by tempering eggs into a cream mixture for a custard like consistency it works well for the filling.

5 Likes

@IggyZ Purilium and Real Flavors SC are my go to for condensed milk . I have made so many KLP recipes and tried other mixers but they usually are lacking , either the crust is eay off or the lime is off. Good luck , this is another profile i want to get just right for my taste

This might be my fave so far

I think this was descent as well

7 Likes

Oooo MF has a lime? That’s one I don’t have YET!! I will now that I know about it. :crazy_face:

6 Likes

Thanks for your reply, @SessionDrummer!

I was hoping there was another option, as the reviews I’ve read for this one seemed less than promising. A lot of people said this tasted like powdered milk with sugar.

Sweetened Condensed Milk, in my opinion, tastes like 50% sugar, 50% milk. The thing is, I’ve never gotten the taste of powdered milk from SCM. Seeing a lot of people mention that taste from this concentrate makes me cautious about buying it.

I was hoping that I could get away with using a cream, and maybe adding a bit extra sweetener, or something similar. Other ideas were LA - Cream Cheese Icing, INW - Custard, or TPA - Bavarian Cream. Maybe even VT - Pudding Base.

2 Likes

Seems you and I have very similar KLP tastes. Unfortunately MF is impossible to get where I am located, and they were not willing to cut me a deal for shipping when I contacted them direct. The way their customer service responded to me made me not want to buy from them. Totally unprofessional support staff “work” there, and because of them I will not be supporting their company, no matter how good their flavors are.

Did you really do 77 attempts on your KLP? Looks like I need to pick up a few flavors, but I’m looking forward to trying this mix when I do. Thanks for sharing it! Do you have any recommendations for what can be a decent substitute to MF’s lime offering?

3 Likes

IMO, the best key lime pies I’ve ever tried had ZERO eggs in the filling. Just (key) lime, sweetened condensed milk, a bit of yogurt, and sometimes some additional lemon juice for sourness. The eggs, for me, take away from the citrus aspect of the filling, and make it more rich and custard-y, but less tart. I guess the recipe depends on personal preference, as well as the recipe’s origin. I’m pretty sure the original KLP recipe from Key West (or maybe Key Largo) has no eggs inside, but the other one does. Go figure. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Do you remember who yoi talked to??

I dont know how many times , but it was a bunch… I put V77 bc the year i was born and it feels like at least that many

3 Likes

@IggyZ it’s the most popular because it’s probably the closest for some people, and for others, easily tweaked with a little FA Milk, or TPA Dairy/Milk.

5 Likes

I had to look it up as this was about a year ago. The rep’s name was Alysia, but she was more or less friendly. The unfriendly emails came after my initial correspondence from the same email, but only with the company name at the bottom. I sent multiple inquiries about a source in the EU, and was basically told to stop writing them, as they had no EU source to share or plans for EU distribution.

Do you by any chance know if this is a small company, or do they have major distribution in the states? IIRC, it was quite difficult for me to find their watermelon when I was in the US last year visiting my mom. Also, their products are like 10x more expensive than even the best EU available flavorings. I couldn’t justify spending so much for the one flavor that I wanted to try.

4 Likes

Wow…She is the Owner actually and a very nice lady. We have sst on the phone discussing flavors for a while qyite a few times . They are a small business and have other beauty type stores onkine and brick and mortar that carry their product. Im sure sourcing in the EU would be tough but if your worried about Price over Value then MF isnt the brand for you…I see the Value in the flavors so the orice doesnt bother me and my favorite flavors by them are so much better than the other vrands that i would bat an eye over the price. The initial cost does seem high.

5 Likes

What flavor ??

2 Likes

The thing with real SCM is that it thickens both during the “cooking” phase and after being refrigerated so it (to me) does not taste like milk at all. A recipe I use to make real SCM is as follows:

Ingredients
2 cups (16floz/450ml) full fat milk
⅔ cups (5oz /142g) white sugar

Instructions
Add the milk and sugar into a small, heavy bottomed saucepan.
Heat it on a low heat until the sugar has dissolved.

Once all of the sugar has dissolved bring the mix to a simmer over medium low heat. Do not stir once the mix starts to simmer otherwise it can crack and crystalize.

Gently simmer for roughly 35-40 minutes, or until the milk has darkened to a creamy color, has reduced by half and thickened slightly. You may notice some foam forming on top, gently skim it off with a spoon. (if there are sugary bits hanging around the rim of your pot don’t stir them into your condensed milk, this can also crack your mix)

When ready, remove from the heat and pour into a jar to cool. Let the condensed milk cool completely before putting on the airtight lid. Just note, it thickens up a lot after a few hours in the fridge.
Store in a labelled jar in the fridge and it will last for 6 months.

So, based on that you could make your own vape version to use in your mix. If you use a thick rich cream and a caramel/brown sugar mix it may be able to replicate SCM fairly accurately. The darkish colour of SCM is from the sugar caramelising so that is why I suggest the caramel/brown sugar.

9 Likes

I wanted to try their watermelon most of all, but also their lemon.

And I saw the hype over their flavors. A lot of people said these were “the best they’ve ever tried”, and so on. But most times I bought a flavor solely based on someone else’s opinion, I didn’t like it, so I’m weary to shell out so much $ for 2 flavors.

Maybe I’ll be able to get some delivered to my mom in the states. Hopefully from a rebottler with sample sizes. So at least, I’ll be able to “try before I buy”. If they’re really that good, I’ll have no problem shelling out for the retail size.

Thanks for the info, Fidalgo!

4 Likes

This is by far the best answer to my question I could have hoped for. Thanks @Ianc13 ! :beers:

2 Likes

Both those flavors are strong and a 3.7ml sample which MF has direct will get you enough to try…When it comes to Natural flavors they are the best imo…

2 Likes

My go to CM is Purilum, but if you don’t mind the sugar try this:

3 Likes

I think I’d rather stay away from sugar. Definitely bad for your coils, and probably just as bad, if not worse for your health.

2 Likes