WHAT Has Made You Smile Today? (III)

For @SquirrelSmash

2 Likes

Which variant is this?

1 Like

https://www.amazon.com/Annin-Flagmakers-2730-Tough-Tex-Embroidered/dp/B001J34TZ4

https://www.amazon.com/Annin-Flagmakers-Model-603-Specifications/dp/B001902G52

1 Like

Thanks for for clarifying.

1 Like

The return of rarer butterflies in key areas: I remember some stating what one was extinct 15 years ago and I just had to stand up and take a photo to show that one of my buddleia had 6 on it.

Obviously I won’t comment on the rest of the news in order to protect fragile individuals.

7 Likes

Still revisiting some of the GREAT posts here, and from GREAT members …

@Shaner.

4 Likes

I remember camping at Turkey Run as a teenager with the Boy Scouts. We were there the weekend before the Indy 500. The memories are good ones, and I think Turkey Run is one of the nicest state parks. Thanks for bringing back very good memories from 50+ years ago.

3 Likes

7 Likes

Luckily they are still going strong and still aid to show us the beauty and the scale of space which makes our Pale Blue Dot seem so fragile.

Carl Sagan was truly inspired to ask for Voyager 1 turned briefly to take it.

We also had a crisis last month over potentially losing Voyager 2: luckily all is well.

The Voyager 1 Golden Record also relates to my ‘pretty ardent Nazi’ comment. I just hope that aliens ignore the opening audio and focus on the party photo:

This is what the record contains, with simple instructions on the outside which rely on a hydrogen atom: We assumed that this was the best way to communicate and express our odd Base 10 system of mathematics in order to communicate - Hydrogen is always hydrogen, so it makes a great reference point.

Edit: Oh, starting the classical music section just before introducing human genitals was inspired (I cannot believe that such a detail would skip my mind).

7 Likes

The launch of Voyager 1 was on my 16th birthday. I remember it and the record. Today I’ve started to listen to it. Further down in the YT comments are time stamps for the different things.

5 Likes

Those stamps help, if the detailed explanation of human modern Base 10 mathematics bores you.

3 Likes

No, but when I was getting sick in my younger years I’d start counting in ASCII (base 16) to determine how sick I was. Also worked with Octal (base 8), but like most things the metric system really shines. Unfortunately I still think in MPH, and food weights in pounds. :upside_down_face:

4 Likes

I rely on a mix. After living in Asia so long, I tend to rely metric but with odd units. E.g. a jin gets me 500g or 500ml of something as it is a standard bowl measure. When I used to smoke, I’d buy one tiao of cigarettes or tobacco: As tiao is used to measure long things, it meant 20 packets of cigarettes (excluding Panda) but would apply to ties and belts as well.

3 Likes
3 Likes

I was 14 at the time of the launch and a few years later I saw Capt. Kirk tear across the galaxy on the big screen, and wishing very hard that if Voyager ever falls into the hands of an alien, that they look like this:

7 Likes

A nice addition to help those unfamiliar with them to understand the nature of the records - They are one of the great wonders of human achievement.

This episode of the Monkey Cage from over 12 series ago which also adds a fun commentary and some of the asides I’ve used. Even with my memory, It had to Google search the guests to get the exact ones - getting old.

4 Likes

Then we both had kinky sexual awakenings.

Although, there’s no risk of hair in the mouth (if you are traditional) with Ilia.

4 Likes

And she could be purple also !

5 Likes

Disney tanking to near the $85 dollar mark.

Frankly it baffles me why a profit driven entity would embrace divisive issues.

If you invested in them 2 years ago, you would have lost $97.55 for each share you had. Oddly, dropping below $85 is the figure most agree on as the figure which would put Disney in immediate risk of bankruptcy: Writing off all projects might not be enough to save them.

5 Likes

Green girls girls first, then blue, with purple after. I think that’s the accepted alien encounter order.

4 Likes