WHAT Has Made You Smile Today? (III)

Oh yes, I am having a reasonably peaceful week while Mrs. Squirrel and the Little Monster play in Hong Kong and Singapore. I’m free to paint, sculpt and design, as they accept that I detest crowds and busy places without having a quiet place to escape to: That habit made me develop an encyclopaedic knowledge of empty spaces across China.

6 Likes

Any self-respecting squirrel should always know where to hole-up.

5 Likes

Indeedy and it sometimes helps with my wizardly reputation: When someone asks for the closest public toilet and I tell them that it’s awful but if you climb this staircase, there’s a really good behind the fourth door on your right. That probably explains why I had a whole swat team coming to my home while they prepped for the 2016 G20 in Hangzhou.

6 Likes
5 Likes

This one time when I can say that I hope a piece of tech fails:

All Americans flying around freely is just a multi-trillion dollar disaster waiting to happen. And, sadly there may be a few years of utter madness while agencies finalise who is actually responsible for licencing such devices.

2 Likes

While I don’t share your fear of the “All Amercans” scnerio, I am concerned about nefarious uses.

4 Likes

Well it just comes from the location of supply. I would regard Korean and Chinese drivers as being more unsettling after having a decade of deranged and utterly flagrant disregard for the law. Although, the time my taxi drove up a flight of stairs and a park was my own fault.

3 Likes

Back in late 80’s my bestfriend and I once drove to Atlantic City, NJ and I drove my car onto the boardwalk. Seeing no other vehicles I drove off at my first chance :rofl:

5 Likes

Well you didn’t state that it was night, you had cigarettes, sunglasses or a mission from God to be absolved of all guilt.

3 Likes

Hehe, that’s badass @big_vape. I’ve been tempted to.

2 Likes

Oh believe me, we were innocent. Totally our mistake, luckily we didn’t get caught. It was late at night, no booze or anything. You know … we were young and dumb. :rofl:

4 Likes

Then you have a clear ‘young man’s’ defence.

4 Likes

Hanging out with the owner of Twisted Irons.

And before you think that Craft Breweries are free and clear from governmental BS, hehe, think again …

http://www.twistedironsbrewery.com/

7 Likes

Looks like a fun trip. Do you have any ales to recommend?

I’m ordering in few eccentric ones for a coming dinner party:

Sadly the fitting End of History is impossible to secure in time.

5 Likes

Whew, that’s a tough question. I’ve got an entire LIST of go-to’s, that far exceeds the scope of this thread, but I’m still working through a massive selection from Twisted Irons at this point.

I was gifted some of this, and WOW, if you like Stouts !!!

5 Likes

LOL 75% ABV ?? !!! Hehe, that’s not beer :).

3 Likes

Well as a CAMRA (Campaign for Real Ale) member who was a festival barman for many years - I’m always up for trying any new stout or porter.

Ah, 75%. I think this one entails adding spirits rather than chilling which BrewDog used: Freeze the drink and pour out all that is liquid out. Here’s what they did for Tactical Nuclear Penguin - a mighty stout I love.

This a not a method I recommend for beginners, as you can accidentally concentrate methanol using it. Although, I did use it to prove a point in Saudi Arabia: I bought of few cases of a malt drink (a legal alcohol free brew which is still classed as such and also halal when it may be 0.5% abv). I froze it but gathered the liquids left from each can to make a standard 70cl bottle of 43% beer. It cost $40 dollars to do and proved that this method beat the $150 to make a dodgy deal for a bottle of vodka from the car boot of a petrol station manager.

That’s how I become the honorary head of the Unofficial Applied Zymological Society at King Saud University. Where we claimed to be obsessed with making the best kimchi in town.

4 Likes

Tuesday night I went out with one of my two work wives to this craft brewery. After a flight of beers I settled on their lagered amber ale. Great beer.

6 Likes

Now you are just adding to my shopping list.

5 Likes

Typical :canada: beer is ~5%. They had one at 7.8% (didn’t try it). Naturally much less fizzy than commercial brewers.

Or were ya talking about work wives? Both brunettes, one Turkish and could be a Kardashian cousin, the other just a trip. Can’t/doesn’t pronounce “g’s” like thinkin fishin, or “L’s” :rofl:

5 Likes