What is Saline?

I wouldnt use it if I were you. Dont you remember that dude in Florida smoking bath salts then eating peoples faces off? Just for that alone I would stay far away.

1 Like

lmao completely different thing

1 Like

I figuredā€¦just couldnt resist :slight_smile:

1 Like

I had a good laugh at it.

1 Like

A lot of what we vape isnā€™t actually vapor. Itā€™s technically an aeresol (linky for the ā€œtechnical definitionā€). When PG and VG form a vapor they carry small particles of liquid and even dissolved solids with them.

The end result in this case isnā€™t much different than a teeny tiny portion of a toot from a saline nasal spray.

Also, that spinfuel article seems well-intentioned, but it is whack as fuck.

8 Likes

Saline ( NaCl- ) is Sodium (Na+) Chloride ( Cl-) this causes rusting over time even to stainless steel amongst other metals.

Pitting corrosion - The passive layer on stainless steel can be attacked by certain chemical species. The chloride ion Cl- is the most common of these and is found in everyday materials such as salt and bleach.
http://www.bssa.org.uk/faq.php?id=9

Normal Saline will damage your gear period this is enough of a reason I avoid it, and then of course the flip flopping topic of chlorine gas.

4 Likes

You like salt on/in your food, itā€™s in your soda, even our drinking water, it does for e-liquid the same thing it does for everything else, it makes it tastes better. Iā€™ve used it for over a year now & no more dry sinuses or throat it made that big of a difference for me so Iā€™ll keep using it.

5 Likes

Here is a little more information about saline from a juice manufacturer , and a good one.I still buy from them on occasion due to them being completely transparent about the recipe and their use of organic flavorings. They post the actual recipe percentages on the site.
http://www.opensourcevapor.com/blogs/articles/14177397-we-put-this-life-sustaining-element-in-our-flavors

2 Likes

Pretty intelligent discussion hereā€¦I am very proud of all of you, and I am serious.

The salt will enhance flavors just like in/on foods [like salt on watermelon], it will damage metal in/over time, and I would be more concerned about the tank/deck/posts/screws more so than coils[replaceable] , but in e-juice it is in a very diluted stage.

All salt is not created equal, and regular salt like Mortonā€™s can/does contain sand and glass. I have a whole house water softener, and a reverse osmosis filter for drinking/cooking water. I make saline regularly and use it dailyā€¦in the animals water and in mine for drinking, but I only use Sherpa Pink Himalayan salt, which is pure and contains 84 minerals and trace elements. It re-mineralizes the RO water and therefore our bodies. Not sure how it would burn with Calcium, Magnesium, Potassium, Copper and Iron etc. in it. I never plan on using it in e-juice anyway.

4 Likes

I love me some sea salt on dark chocolate :slight_smile:

3 Likes

If this were truly the case then everytime you cooked something you would pass our from salting it. Come on people use your head hear, 3% saline that is only what about 9% salt which mean if itā€™s exactly even then 4.5% chloride which means you have 1.5% chlorine in your juice. I just donā€™t think there is enough in it to worry about, although I have to admit Iā€™ve never used it nor has anyone I know at least not to my knowledge. IMHO of course

1 Like

I found a sea salted caramel swirl ice cream that will knock your socks off itā€™s so good. huge ribbons of caramel with actual little chunks of sea salt in the caramel.

Wonā€™t that melt the ice cream?:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2 Likes

theyā€™re in the caramel, and itā€™s sorta firm so I guess they donā€™t really touch the ice cream much.

Like this site. Thanks for sharing.

2 Likes

While Iā€™m still thinking about it, yall gotta try some nice dark chocolate sprinkled with a little red pepperā€¦ really brings out the flavor.

1 Like

Just putting in my 2 cents here, after speaking to a gastro-chemist chef, salt/saline is used to enhance flavorsā€¦ not the flavor itself, but the intensity of the flavor (if that makes sense to you).

Salt is used as a chocolate enhancer as well as a bitter flavor mask from certain ingredients. When I asked him on the risks of chloride poisoning his answer was that the concentration of salt had to be higher than the molecular concentration of the"heaviest" ingredient (VG), and then added that you would have a better chance of that type of poisoning if you sniffed freshly chlorinated pool water for eight hours straight, from a plastic bag.

5 Likes

I think this is where we all end up atā€¦ either realizing the gas is still a risk albeit a small one so we think we have no concrete evidence in this setting and then the watering down of flavors. Thanks for talking to an additional professional it nice to hear more advice. Still wonā€™t change the fact that certain metals are going to rust over time w/ using Saline and your coils are going to gunk as well. Iā€™ve tried it and it didnā€™t make a huge benefit to me wasnā€™t worth the extra headaches of " mights ".

4 Likes

I agreeā€¦ but itā€™s all the knee jerk reactions that people do before proper research that really confounds me. They see Sodium Chloride, but not saltā€¦ chemical compounds are strange at times but there are still general rules that have to follow in the world of science.

I just wish some people would learn to look before they leap and get an informed decision instead of doing the failed math of 1+1=11. You knowā€¦ like the FDAā€¦

5 Likes

Well from being a nurse I know we shoot it up babies noses as well as mix it with nebulizer treatments which of course get inhaled but itā€™s the heat and yes our mods are going into the 1,000 degrees lol territory.

Itā€™s not something I found to be that worthy so I suppose Iā€™m giving my 2cents but fwiw the rusting is more of my concern on coils and then tanks.

2 Likes