What proportion of vapers do you think make their own eliquid

Simply outstanding @authormichellehughes.

3 Likes

Came from there two years ago. I’m a proper briterican, born here, educated there, raised in both, professional life there first, then part 2 here.

I speak with a neutral American accent, but use a lot of British terminology a which probably made people think I was either an Anglophile, weirdo, or pompous in the states.

For example I Mix up the pronunciations of tomahto and tomayto Depending on what I’m Discussing. Tomahto sauce, ketchup, base, tomaytoes on their own. Shedule not sked. Sidewalk note pavement.

Then when I’m Mad it’s all New York from My decade there and a best friend from Long Island.

I Probably have a propensity to absorb from the binational. I dream as native in both accents as normal too. It’s a disaster. I’ve heard it referred to as bi-dialectical, but mildly in my case. Compared to say Gillian Anderson.

Just to confuse things - Planned retirement south of Italy.

And after that long meandering at 2 am. Yes it’s a mess there. Tbh it’s a reason I came back here, you know to Brexit and whatnot.

6 Likes

That’s exactly true. I think more try and give up than those that actually stick to mixing for the long haul.

4 Likes

We may be a niche hobby…we may be relatively small in numbers, but we are mighty !!

I think it may be like shaving numbers. I am a traditional wet shaver who uses vintage double edge razors, blades, brushes and a variety of soaps. Though there are a fair number of traditional wet shaving hobbyists, our market share is probably minuscule, less than 1%. But those of us who do it love it because it can be like a Zen experience where you get to be very mindful (or cut yourself). DIY mixing is like that for me. When I am mixing, I am “in the moment” while doing something I enjoy. Plus, it saves me money, and I enjoy the journey, not just the destination.

5 Likes

Same as @SessionDrummer said. I mix, they vape. My buddies will hang out, but never got the itch as I did.

3 Likes

that’s interesting, the wet shavers. didn’t know such hobby existed. even the name has a ring to it :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I, like you @Cary1, am a traditional wet shaver, and you are so right, to me it is a pleasure shaving and very therapeutic to boot.
Nothing beats a double edge blade in a good razor, badger hair brush, and soap in a bowl, then a fine aftershave cream, heaven.

3 Likes

@Tworrs Yep. Shaving used to be a chore. Now it is a pleasure and part of my self care routine. Plus, it gives me a much better and closer shave than any of the multi-blade razors I’ve tried. Been traditional wet shaving for about 6 years. My daily drivers are Gillette Super Adjustables (Black Beauties, I have 3 of them from 1969, 1972 and 1973). I don’t have a favorite soap, but have about 30 scents from a variety of makers. Some are small label (Sterlings, Mike’s Natural, Soap Commander, etc.) and some are run of the mill like Proraso. My other razors include a Gillette Slim from 1962 and a Gillette New from somewhere around 1934.

Glad to meet another traditionalist !! :grinning:

3 Likes

Us older guys know a thing or two my friend :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:
edit. I trust your surname is not Grant?

3 Likes

I do the same. Though I work wax and cream into my beard to soften my face to and head for a tight shave (I had the luxury of a few transgender friends giving me tips on shaving).

3 Likes

That is a new one on me, I’ll have to investigate it.
My challenge is getting around all the wrinkles :rofl:

3 Likes

It is a challenge. I have increased the amount of Hemp oil by 1% to my soft balm to account for yearly change.

4 Likes

I gather you mix your own then? Not something I have considered.
I just use some of the fine British products that my supplier stocks.

3 Likes

I do: I think it comes from a long history of herbalists. I tended to avoid commercial suppliers from a young age: I got 300ml of witch hazel this morning and that will clean my face, mix with oils to make me smell nice and carry inks when I update tattoos. I tend to adopt the simplest viable answer.

4 Likes

Something for me to consider though.
At present I’m trying Luxury Aftershave Cream for Sensitive Skin from Taylor of Old Bond Street which I am finding rather pleasant.

3 Likes

If it works for you, then do it. I rely on a wax based system as my face took an impressive alkali hit when young.

3 Likes

It adds to my status as a vampire :grinning:

4 Likes

Nope. He was richer and better looking…but he’s dead, so I’m okay with that. :astonished:

3 Likes

Never tried wax and cream. Just a fairly good shave prep and allowing the soap to sit on my face for a couple of minutes to hydrate my whiskers. About a year ago I added hyaluronic acid to my skin care routine every couple of days. I have noticed a difference in my skin and my shaves since then.

3 Likes

How interesting, that is exactly the same comment that I give to people :rofl: My name is Garry Grant, so I’ve had plenty of comments, and Cary Grant references in my life.

2 Likes