What scale do you use?

Yes and no.
Is it meant to fully come off? Nope, but you could break it off. Very flimsy/cheap and only connected to a small part on the back. So yes you could easily break it off, if you don’t want to use the cover afterwards.

If you mean easy to open, then thats a yes.

3 in oz, 2 with everything else

No, if as you mentioned we are not looking at user errors.

However, its slow, sometimes extremly slow before actual displaying the accurate number.

For example, you use 2 drops in your mix, you will either have to blow on the scale or give it 10-30 seconds before you see it. Very irritating at times.

Its a good scale so, especially at that price, but it isn’t anywhere comparable with a very sensitive and overly accurate scale found in labs of course. But for home use and simple mixing, its a good recommendation.

8 Likes

3 place so 0.000

No fluctuation in 3min measuring Ounces

7 Likes

@Kinnikinnick as mentioned, 3 dec. places in oz. Mine doesn’t fluctuate at all except maybe a smidge if the HVAC kicks on, but it’s near a vent. Non issue. The cover doesn’t appear to come off, but you probably won’t want to. Closed, protects the scale, keeps it clean, flips up easy.

11 Likes

Funny that you say this. I placed mine the other day right underneath my cabinet. Opened it to get something and just pushed the door.

That tiny breathe of air showed up right away as 0.06 g and it took a couple seconds for it to zero back out.

But thats user error, just saying that the smallest draft can do it, doesn’t have to be an air conditioner or fan/window :wink:

8 Likes

Thanks for the quick feedback folks! :sunglasses:

My old Etekcity scale is getting to be a finicky little thing. :confused: So… looking into getting a good one for me and the Missus. I have to say, the Etekcity has lasted a good long time… +/- 3 years now; best $12 I ever spent! :rofl:

9 Likes

I removed the lid from mine, I heard people state that with the top laid out it tends to lift the scale up… not allowing it to be flush on the desktop or table your using it on. I do keep the lid on top the scale protecting it and the front of the lid still engages the two buttons you have to depress to open the scale up. I just don’t have the back end of the scale inserted into the hinge, so after releasing the lock/buttons on the front, the lid lifts off the scale.

13 Likes

Well that sounds about right with my air vent fluctuations. I’ve yet to have any issues when mixing however.

8 Likes

If your going that big have you thought bout graduated cylinders and flasks?

10 Likes

@Dan_the_Man Somehow I missed this ^^^^. IMO below 200ml is one of the BEST reasons to use a scale, for more accuracy. Plus (did anyone mention this ??) mixing is much FASTER, and far less to clean up.

12 Likes

That right there is why I wouldn’t purchase it. I don’t have the patience and I ALWAYS go over.

Thank you for that answer.

@Freddie3 Yes I have thought about it and have almost gone through with it too but we have jars galore at the house due to all the canning (jarring?) we do so it’s faster and cheaper.

5 Likes

I bet they were wondering what the hell was going on for a while :slight_smile:

11 Likes

I use the LB501 as well. Don’t have the ceiling fan on or it’ll mess with your weights. If you’re only adding .5 ml of something it might take it a second to register. I usually just pick up the mix and give it a little shake and sit it back down.

7 Likes

I tried my best to get a picture of mine but for some reason my camera is not focusing on it today.

Yes the lid comes of very easy but not as in falls off but if you want it off it is a simple snap fit.

With the lid closed look at the bottom and you will see the lid is press fit over a metal rod. With just a little force you can push up on the back and pop it off the metal rod.

9 Likes

I’m kinda using simular stuff to @Iv3shf

If your using 10%-20% for flavoring on a 200ml batch.

You’ll use 20ml to 40mls just for flavoring. That’s why graduated cylinders seemed to make sense. IMHO

A 500ml glass bottle I saw shipping weight of 12OZ/340G. Your Canning Jars might even weight more. So you’ll have to consider using plastic if you find a scale and transfer to the glass. Clean up isn’t that bad. What I do is rinse with water first, then a squirt of PG to get rid of the water.

I only do mini batches so for me … This one on the LEFT is fast, doesn’t miss any drops or fluctuate, it locks on target good. goes to 0.000 gram (thousands) BUT it only goes to 50g/50mL. I think I saw a 100g/100mL version of it on Amazon. If you just want to weight your flavors separately. And then just use easier cylinders for just PG/VG and Nic

Mines still going strong around a year now and Ive only had to change battery twice so far. 3 minute time out is more than enough for me.

The one on the RIGHT misses drops and doesn’t register until like 0.04g is on the plate. I Only use it to mix PG/VG if I need to make a big base over 50mL of a mix. Goes to 0.00 gram (Hundredths)

Best luck be interested to see if you find something

@Dan_the_Man
Most important is as long as it’s fun for you how you Mix Steep n Vape. :wink:

8 Likes

Just for some variation, on this side of the pond I use the On Balance Envy 500/0.01g scale as the LB501 is difficult to get at a decent price over here. As with others it’s sensitive to draughts but I suspect that’s the price you pay to get down to that level of accuracy

9 Likes

Dan, that “slow” to update doesn’t bother me. I just blow on the scale and it fixes right up.

For YOU, with the glass mason jars, the 500mg limit would be the big issue I think.

I have a couple of 500ml bottles and mixing those up is impossible to do using the scale. I have to add the flavors, and the PG, then remove the bottle and fill up the remainder with VG, and eye-ball, where on the bottle to stop filling. Yay, fun ! . It works, but I had to put a dot on the bottle for the 500ml stopping point.

Good luck with your decision !

6 Likes

I’m still using the cheap batteries that came with it over a year ago!( now that I said that they will probably start to die). Amazon for under 20$, my best DIY purchase ever! Definitely saves time and clean up!

12 Likes

I used that (type) of scale for a long time, then one day it just gave up the ghost (I think my step-daughter did it in actually)… for the year or two or so that I used it, it worked great.

9 Likes

That was like my first scale worked fine until I dropped it and the plate popped off , if you have a plug in for the scale it makes it that much better

6 Likes

I had one of those until i managed to pour half a bottle of pg over it.

Now im on a triton t3 from chefs

4 Likes