What your best idea for SFT?

Thank God! I been trying to write all those others down like a crazy person . Thanks for the link @muth I appreciate it.

4 Likes

Always ask people for links if you need them. It’s not going to hurt anyone to copy and paste. Even the laziest person can do that, lol.

4 Likes

Whenever im having problems with exotic coils and flavor ill grab some round wire and wrap 5 to 6 times , space it and usually it gets me where I need to be …A lot of times the more complex coils dint give me the flavor im looking for .

6 Likes

I have noticed that alot lately I have 24 gauge kanthal wire any idea where I would be safe to vape that at? It’s just sitting around cuz idk what I’m doing yet.

4 Likes

Vv pulse rda with dual 24g ka1 coils is what i use to test. You are wasting too much cotton testing on mesh. Plus it takes more dry burning mesh to get the previous flavour out of the mesh. I personally believe by testing on round wire gives a better representation of the juices true flavour. You will get more of a true profile of it

5 Likes

And again use vv mesh as the premades dont give the flavour as much. SC mesh is just garbage wotofo is all right and geek vape is better then those two. But nothing beats Vv

4 Likes

Depends on what your using it in , the recurve should be fine with 5 to 6 wraps …Single coil rdas shoot for .2 to .4 ohms , Dual Coil I shoot for 0.15 to .25 ish.

I havent used Kanthal forever , I use SS 24g . I really do want to try Kanthal again

4 Likes

This never seems to happen to me :rofl:. I’m partial to the staggered variety of wire/coils (usually with 3 or more cores). I like them a lot better than just regular fused claptons or even aliens. They always give me awesome flavor. If I could get better flavor from something lower effort, I would. Aliens are way quicker and easier to make but they don’t quite compare to me. I dunno, it’s just what works for me and my style of vaping.

I use a variety of metal types which are the popular ones like kA1, SS316L, N80, & N90. I wasn’t sure what to think of N90 at first but I’ve come to really like it. I was freaked out about how soft it is. It comes in really handy for mechs or mech-like mods (or squonk mods). It’s a way to lower resistance without increasing mass (vs N80 or kA1).

Edit to add:

I didn’t understand why I liked SFC coils so much but have a theory. People always talk about how alien wraps have wicking properties. Nobody ever says this about stags because less people use them I’m guessing. The ones I make with multiple cores create lots of little crevasses or pockets. After dripping or squonking, I can observe those pockets filling up with liquid. I’ll post a couple of photos of the current build in my Elder Dragon. It’s N90: 4x30/40ga, .2Ω, and using 58W.

You can kind of see the liquid in those pockets where the light is reflecting. The liquid is in all of those little pockets around the coil, but it’s hard to see without light or the reflection of light. Another closer photo:

My theory is when the coil is heated, all the liquid in those crevasses make mini flavor explosions for me to enjoy lol :joy:.

7 Likes

I dont use mechs and try to stay between 60 and 70 watts on dual coils and 40 to 50 w in single sometimes lower… Not sure why but a lot of times I get the best overall flavor from a round wire build…The multi wrapped coils will highlight accents or bases in certain recipes …I also have problems with flavor from a lot of rdas like goons . I also have never had luck with mesh …

I have been liking coil clouts small mass fused coils…

6 Likes

Coil Clout offers one variation of the kind of coils I like (N80 SFC: 5x30/40ga, 4-wrap, 3mm ID)), but they’re $30 a set. I understand why but that’s still pretty inflated.

Flavor is such a weird thing, but it’s also a personal thing… I can understand your stance, it’s just mine’s different. You’re right about certain coils highlighting certain aspects of mixed flavors. I believe cottons can do the same thing. I’ve experienced it myself. Stags give me an overall amplification of flavor vs other wire types. I should say, my stags or the way I make them. Chinese companies have made some pretty terrible looking staggered variety coils with overly large wires. I don’t think I’d enjoy those as much :laughing:.

6 Likes

Absolutely…ive been a fan of CBV2 and recently ran out , I tried the CB Prime and I swear there is a 15ml break in lol

4 Likes

I think the Chinese exotic coils really ruined my opinion bc like Ladycrroks my first experience was with a chinese company who gave away a bunch here on Elr

3 Likes

@INOIROC that coil looks perfect in that ED.

5 Likes

Thanks! The coil in the photo is from my experiments trying to find decent mech coils. I wanted dual coils, somewhat low mass, but also to ohm around .1-.11Ω. They work perfectly for that as dual coils. They fire fast and hard with really good flavor.

This is my first time trying one as a single coil and it works great. 45-50W is plenty but I’m using it at 58W on a Battlestar squonk. If you’d like a few for your Elder Dragon, just let me know. It might take me a bit, but I’ll get em mailed to ya eventually lol.

5 Likes

You make your own coils ??? Ill have to get some from u

6 Likes

Yeah, I started about two years ago. I’ve been really busy lately but yeah! I’d be happy to whip you up some. I have lots of different sizes and types so I can make just about anything.

4 Likes

INOIROC is a high end spinner, fiddy, and I can vouch for her coils. I purchased some myself. Here’s one of her latest works of art.
Screenshot_20220101-222515.png

Hope you don’t mind me showing off your stuff @INOIROC my friend dubya posted this pic in our forum.

9 Likes

Wowzer…I couldnt imagine doimg that

9 Likes

Interesting conversation. Aside from coil texture, I’ve noticed that some flavors just can’t handle high wattage. The flavor just gets lost. I wanted to start making note of these things because I can’t remember off the top of my head which flavors exactly. If anyone can think of any let me know.

6 Likes

It’s definitely a “thing”. I remember my friend struggling with just wrapping single wire coils when starting out. They looked like crap. Some years later he discovered that spinning wire was what knitting is to others, it relaxes his mind. So now when he wants to chill he starts spinning and his coils are beautiful. I’m so impressed and proud of the progress he’s made. Everyone finds their niche in vaping. That’s what makes it so special and great, imo.

7 Likes