When do you taste test?

Centrifugal is the opposite of mixing - it will actually separate the components… Maybe a very short whirl will mix it though :smile:

1 Like

I do like the milk frothier myself, I got one of the cheapest ones I could find and it will still mix a max
vg mix for me, I also have stated doing a warm rice bath and my cream and fruit mixes have color in
them in about 12 hours or so. Seems to be working so far.

2 Likes

I don’t want to take the chance of degrading the nic at all. It’s too expensive. So, I don’t use heat. I just mix with a milk frother once and put it up in my ‘steeping’ cabinet. If it is a new recipe, I try to test at least every other day and take notes until it’s ‘done’.

4 Likes

I shake and let my new mix rest for 30 minutes, then I take a few puffs to check out if it is even worth steeping. If it tastes ok, I leave it for a week.

3 Likes

Get one of these and a beaker and you’re done.

http://www.amazon.com/MatchaDNA-Milk-Frother-Handheld-Electric/dp/B00MJFH9KS/ref=sr_1_4?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1430742165&sr=1-4&keywords=milk+frother

As for initial tasting - use a ce4 or something small and then wash it out. If a juice tastes good in that it would be superb in anything better. In my experience if a juice doesn’t taste tolerably good straight off, no amount of time will really improve it. That’s just my opinion of course.

2 Likes

I bought a magnetic mixer and will never shake another bottle again. Its awesome.

Nathan

1 Like

Do u have a link?

Do you use heat or just the mixer? There are quite a few of those for sale on ebay.

I bought a small used one on ebay. I got mine for $30 and you have to be patient and watch for a deal. It doesn’t have heat and I didn’t want heat. I just give it time.

Nathan

The bottle shaking was getting kinda old for me too.
I saw the magnetic mixer a while back. The purpose of it was what I was looking for but still wasn’t what I was after. The ones I saw mixed in an open flask with the magnetic arm not a bottle you would put the finished product in. From a video I saw making a homemade magnetic mixer using a PC cooling fan solved my dilemma how to make the bottle spinner. I get the same vortex action the magnetic mixer has and no need for the magnetic mixing arm.

1 Like

I don’t use heat either for disturbing the nic. But I hear about it all the time. I kinda want to try it. Just some thoughts I had that I haven’t come across yet for answers. Like how much heat can nic take before it degrades?
Or what about if we just make or mix with 0% nic then add the nic later after your done messing with it? That seems like the safe way to do it.

1 Like

I thought of that too what @pingu is doing when I was making a bottle spinner to ease up on all the shaking if this would create a centrifugal thing. I don’t think it does (at least I hope not) after watching a real centrifuge. But you could be right about it separating also. A centrifuge holds a test tube still and spins the tube around like hands on a clock. The continuous g-force on the liquid pushing the heavy away from the light to the bottom. My bottle spinner doesn’t seem to be doing that. It creates a vortex much like you would see in a blender.

I typically set my mix in my little dipper crock pot for about 30 minutes just enough to loosen my vg. Then I put them in my homemade spinners for a while as to not introduce unnecessary bubbles/oxygen in the juice you fet from shaking. (My spinners are made from 2 small satellite style fans that I have stripped down and attached Rx bottles to the centers and its all attached to a table in my lab…I pulse a few times and then spin for ages saving my arms haha)
As for tasting I am extremely impatient so I usually do a quick taste after all that, adjust if necessary, then lock away in a box for at least 3 days or longer. I learned the hard way about cream and custards getting stronger with age…I kept adding more and more at first because I really couldn’t taste it and then weeks later it felt like I was sucking on a bottle of heavy cream!
This is the only thing I hate about DIY is the waiting! I think a majority of it has to do with the fact I am a chef and I’m not used to creating something and then waiting half a month to taste it! I am becoming more patient as time goes by though

1 Like

Oops sorry about the novel hehe
I just forgot to mention that the whole dripping thing doesn’t really work for me. I bought some mini protanks that I use for tasting and I love them! I picked them up for only $6 each and for me they give a more accurate taste of what my juice will taste like in my tanks. The protanks only take a couple minutes to wash inbetween recipes and I currently have 7 of them so I can work on 7 different mixes simultaneously

1 Like

Try brewing beer… talk about waiting! My wife still complains about the carboys and gear I have “taking up space” in the basement since I stopped.

4 Likes

This is my homemade (obviously) spinner that I use…I will never go back to shaking like a mad man!

6 Likes

So I realize I might sound really dumb Herr but “technically” the photo above is large prescription medication bottles affixed to the center of a fan do I have that right?

Do you pour your diy mix into the med. bottles,or are those bottles inside of mounted bottles?

Only a guess, but I would think the bottles go inside. I’ll say this, I think @DarthVapor3 is gonna put Dish Network out of business…lol

2 Likes

LOL!
Yes they are Rx bottles that have been permanently attached to the center of the fans. I used those because the 30ml bottles fit in perfectly and nice n’ snug (pictured here upside down) … so once you flip the switch those bad boys spin and create a vortex through the juice…much like a magnetic mixer. Then you just pull the juice bottles out, label and done;)

I also have “adapters” I created for smaller 10ml bottles. It may not be the prettiest piece of equipment but this baby mixes!!!

The dish networks also tilt in both direction causing the juice to roll back on itself for quick spins

3 Likes

Greatest part of it all is I didn’t have to spend 1 cent and I was actually in the process of considering a $150 lab mixer when I read some where that a guy duct tapes his bottle to the inside of his wheel wells on his truck LoL!
So I started looking around for things I could tape my bottles to that shuck or spun…
Let me just say this was not my first attempt and I wish I had pictures of the first few horribly wrong ideas…taping to an electric tooth brush…power drill…rotary saw…they all ended in tragedy and almost loosing a few windows hehe

3 Likes