When do you taste test?

So in theory this ‘could’ do the same “steeping” process that a ultrasonic does and shorten the steep time quiet a bit if the eliquid had just come from a warm water bath?
I’m gonna do this aswell if it’ll serve a similar purpose, and not break my arm from shaking :slight_smile: .thanks for all the help.

2 Likes

Now I cant speak for the EXACT science behind it but I will say, yes, it definitely blends your juice more then shaking ever does PLUS it does not introduce bubbles into your juice like shaking vigorously does (evil bubbles).

I place my mix in a warm water bath for anywhere between 20-40 minutes to “loosen” the VG and then I throw it on my spinner. At first I pulse it every 2-3 minutes (My power strips off button is sensitive and shuts off with a light touch without the button actually clicking into the off position) which causes the juice to be thrown up, spin into a vortex, then drop and thrown back up into the vortex. I do this only to ensure it mixes properly before the long spin and TBH I dont know if that part is necessary…

I have noticed a remarkable difference when tasting a freshly spun juice vs a shaken one…

I have also tested this theory with food coloring in plain vg. I Placed a drop of coloring in my vg and then spin to watch that drop blend all the way through the VG =)

Now of course nothing can replace actual time in the steeping process but I have been able to enjoy what used to be a minimum of over night into a…spin n vape mix;)

At the end of the day it is WAY better then looking like you are mimicking a crazy monkey masturbating viciously :wink:

2 Likes

I also have another theory that the g-force of the vortex pushing the juice into the walls of the bottles actually presses the flavoring molecules together speeding the steeping process even more but of course I do not have an actual way of proving this as truth…

Making one of these is not rocket science by any means but if you require any help or suggestions on making this please feel free to pm me.
It is crucial to have the Rx bottle completely centered on the motor to prevent a wobble which does not effect the juice at all, just the life of your spinner by exerting more pressure then necessary on the motor.

If its really bad you can snap the bottle off but dont let that detour you…my left spinner is centered perfectly while my right one is off ever so slightly that if I put anything larger then 15ml it wobbles…but to be honest I’m not bothered for these puppies have held up for ages, even spinning for hours straight!

1 Like

Thanks for the help…
No more shaking after this batch for me :slight_smile:

1 Like

No problem at all! I forgot to mention that it also cools the juice after the water bath too if that matters, I use 100%vg and I find vaping straight after a water bath messes with my addy a bit…but now im just nit pickin

1 Like

Nitpicking is how ya tell a brudda the scoop man…lol
Btw I’ve got a rotator cuf ToRn on 2 of 3 sides so I can’t lift a dual 18650 mod with my right arm without freaking out.
So this will help me man.

1 Like

Damn sorry to hear that, well Im glad my brief moment of ingenuity was able to help someone haha

I just had the base of a desk fan break apart. Looks like I will need some help from my little brother but other than affixing it to the board I may be able to pull it off myself. @DarthVapor3 what did you use to attach the bottle to the fan motor?

1 Like

I used good ol’ Gorilla glue super glue :wink: and when that dried i went around the outside of the bottle with a rubber like glue to ceal the edges called loctite just to be safe. I dont believe this last part is necessary and just the gorilla glue would be fine

2 Likes

Something else that I think is important to extend the life of the spinner, is to make sure you remove as much as possible from the blade mechanism, starting with the blades first. The less weight the motor has to pull around the better! Also if the fan has dual/tri settings just use the lowest setting possible because not only is it over kill to set it to high, there’s a chance to burn up the motor.

I cant stress enough the importance of getting the Rx bottle completely centered! Dont be discouraged if you mess up either, I have had to break off the bottle and reattach it on my first spinner I made

Good luck and I hope it works out for you! This was the best thing I could of done for myself! If you’re going to DIY might as well go all the way right!

1 Like

Wow, some pretty elaborate methods. Personally I have yet to find the benefit in excessive aggitation of liquids. When I mix a batch (30 - 100 ml) I will place the bottles on top of a floor lamp that has a 150w bulb. About 20 mins later the viscosity is thin and I’ll shake for 30 seconds or so. Now I will say that I shake and test almost all new recipes, and since I’m not doing too much with tobacco flavors, most often I can tell right away if they’re any good. Sure some mixes benefit greatly from aging, but I find when they do it only takes a decent blend and makes it better. I’ve yet to find where aging took a bad flavor and made it good. Not once. So in answer to the original question - I taste right away. If it passes that test I will most often give it a week, maybe 2 and then start using it. If it doesn’t pass the test I either shelve it and make adjustments on a new mix, trash it, or tweak it till it’s either palatable or gets tossed.

2 Likes

I agree! I have said this a few times here on ELR. When I create a flavor I test it within the first 24 hours. Most of the time within a couple hours. If I do not consider the juice a 5 star Shake and Vape juice then it is either scrapped or adjusted to please. This has worked great all except with just one blend (Arnold Palmer). The Green Tea in the blend after a couple week steep got so strong you could not stand it. I scrapped the blend cause I don’t have the time to blend and taste weekly to see if it is right…

1 Like

Everyone has their own methods but what I don’t understand is the people who say "if it tastes horrible, wait a week…if it still tastes bad wait another…and another…’ Im sorry but if it tastes horrible its still going to taste horrible no matter what the time…but if it does all of a sudden taste great then there’s some magic involved!

IMO time only makes a good juice great!

As for me I make mine, short water bath because im a max vg guy, quick spin and then I taste immediately.
If its good I leave it alone for a week or whatever…if its lacking I adjust it and then leave it alone.

The only mistake I made when I first started making my juices was in creams. I would taste a fresh mix and the cream, custard or whatever wasn’t really strong enough for what I wanted, so I would add more and more…
Then weeks later I would taste again and it was 4x stronger then my initial taste!

I remember my very first cream based juice I made and I started with 3% sweet cream and upon tasting it was weak so, long story short, I ended up adding like 12% in total and it was great! 4 weeks later a buddy was over and I said try this its great! The second he fired up his addy he about threw up from the intense nasty cream taste hahaha!

We have all been there and learned from our mistakes but all I can say is I’m not on this band wagon of telling people nasty juices will taste great after time…imo you’re just handing out false hope;-)

Yup!

I had a mix that tasted like crap on week 1,2 and 3 of the steeping process. I said, well, looks like there’s no hope for this one. I let it accumulate dust for 2 months at the back of the shelf. Long story short, I’m glad I didn’t trash it on week 3, 'cause after sitting for 2 months, it was fantastic! Sometimes good things happen if you just ignore the juice for a while.

1 Like

《Slowly inserts foot in his mouth》

1 Like

Doesnt this separate your liquids? Technically it should. Not to dissimilar from a blood/fluid separator, all it is missing is an angle. Im asking our of sheer curiosity and because i have 4 of those fans.

I was trying to use up some of my old MBV flavorings last week when i encountered a mix that would not homogenize no matter what i do.

8% Black Licorice (FW)
2.5% Eucalyptus

I have used heat, ultrasonic cleaner, shaking till i hurt myself and my reciprocating saw and it still separates. At this point im willing to try darn near anything to get it to mix, which is why i asked the question. At this point i either have to get it to mix or take it out to the barn and shoot it with the .22, im leaning toward the barn idea…

Now, I will add that I have make some pretty nasty mixes that were totally crap no matter how long they sat! I didn’t mean to say a crap mix never happens! I’m just glad I didn’t throw away a few mixes which I thought were garbage early in its steeping life!

2 Likes

I have never had ANY issues using the spinners and definitely not a broken juice. Im no expect by any means but I have heard some flavorings do seperate but I have never seen that in a juice? I have 1 flavoring from TFA, Organic Strawberry, that the flavoring itself kind of seperates (thin layer of brownosh redish oil look) and they even have on their site that it is normal.
But in any of my juices that I use OG straw I havent seen this.
But to answer your question, no the spinner does not seperate the juice…idk if maybe you were to leave it spinning all day it would? I made 1 mistake of forgetting I had one spinning and came back home 5 hours later and it was still going hehe but no seperation

1 Like

Like i said im willing to try anything at this point. It is driving me crazy as i know i have mixed the Black Licorice before and considering the volume of liquid separation i assume that is what is separating. It is driving me nuckin futs! hehe

It is near immediate, i heat, shake and set it down. Within minutes it begins. It is in the ultrasonic cleaner with 160 degree water right now. Ill shake it in a bit and take a couple pics.

1 Like

Forgive me if I’m not understanding this but are you saying you have made this exact recipe before with no issues? Or just the flavoring?