When to retire batteries?

Thanks for the links, reading some reviews and purchasing ASAP.

Hereā€™s my requirements, any change in weight, significant increase in internal resistance (charging longer, charging hotter than others), any deformation of the outside can cause internal damage in hotspots or shorts. Throw a new wrap on there if itā€™s damaged. Iā€™m not talking a few minutes or a few degrees, but any significant deviation, chuck them in the recycling bin.

@goatrental How do you rewarp your batteries? Electrical tape?

1 Like

You need a specific type of thin heat-shrink wrapping. You can get them on FT or ebay, just look for 18650 battery wraps. They come pre-cut to the appropriate length, or by the foot. Itā€™s really easy, I cut the old wrap off, or just peel it back, and youā€™re left with a metal tube. This tube is all ā€œnegativeā€ and shorting the positive tab to any part of it will result in bad things. Now. Take your wrap, slip it over the battery, leaving some sticking past both ends. When you hit this with heat from the stove/lighter/torch/heat gun (most blow-driers will probably do fine for thinner wraps like this), it will shrink and get tight. Donā€™t heat any one spot too long, as itā€™s easy to melt it and make a new hole. Hereā€™s a video from someone with a better camera than mine: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqGpzb2BKyU

4 Likes