Where to start

Do you know if you can buy pre-wrapped coils for mtl drippers? I don’t even know if that’s still a thing. I bought 1 dripper a long time ago and just bought prebuilt coils online.

5 Likes

Honestly don’t know. The reaper uses simple round wire coils which are super simple to make. Just need some wire like 26g or whatever you prefer, and a 2/2.5mm screwdriver.

6 Likes
7 Likes

Welcome and glad you joined.

3 Likes

Welcome and glad you joined us.

4 Likes

Welcome to the forum @Rad_Nate and @Trent13 :tada:

4 Likes

Looks like I might need to learn mixing and coil building lol.
I have to admit, it would be fun to buy a new toy.
How many watts do you vape it at? how many ohms do you build your coils to?
my current setup is 0.8 ohms at 13 watts, but I’d definitely be interested in going down on ohms and up on watts and maybe a bit lower in nic.
I’ve run my current setup so long mainly because I can hardly afford the pre-made juice in my area. My hope is things will soon be getting cheaper on that front.

6 Likes

I want to branch out from tobaccos a little, now that I have room to experiment and not pay $15-$20 for a 30ml bottle.
What are your favorite flavors Rocky?
I have figured out I can’t taste strawberry (I guess that is a thing with other vapors too), any dairy in commercial vapes tasted like sour milk, and things along the lines of marshmallow in commercial vapes taste like pepper to me. I guess I have a strange pallet.
I imagine the whole thing about this hobby is just figuring out what works and what doesn’t.

6 Likes

Obviously Milk and Honey is my favorite flavor, I too struggle to taste strawberries. Coffee recipes are my favorite mix and ADV, nutty bakeries which I’m told go good with bacco’s although I’m not into tobacco flavors myself. There are so many flavors I like it would be hard to list just a few but off the top of my head, Butter Pecan FW, Sticky Bun CAP, Calipitter Chow M&P, Peanut Butter SSA, Milk and Toony VSO…

5 Likes

Don’t forget VTA Coffee Liqueur!!!

6 Likes

it’s not too hard to figure out.
An 0.8 ohm coil would be about 8 wraps around a 2mm rod (screwdriver) using 26g kanthal (A1) wire. Your wattage will depend on how big the chamber will be on your RDA. On the Boomstick for example, it would be low due to the tiny chamber. Everything will be very concentrated and you should be OK between 15 - 20 watts. A larger chamber might require slightly higher wattage, but this is dependent on whether you prefer a warm or cool vape.

If you are using a mechanical mod, please take the time to learn Ohms Law, before you start experimenting with self made coils. Even if you’re using a regulated mod, I’d recommend you learn it anyway, as it’s just good to know.

This site will help in starting you on the basics of coil building. It helped me tremendously when I first started. There are also numerous apps you can load on your smart phone, but I don’t use those and maybe someone else can chime in with recommendations.

6 Likes

Edit: Forgot to mention that the specs above are for a single coil, which is how I use mine as a flavor tester. In dual coil mode, your ohms would be halved so two coils would come out to 0.4 ohms combined (give or take). In my opinion, the boomstick is a great rda for flavor testing, but not very good as an all day device. It gets hot due to the small chamber.

5 Likes

I find Steam Engine a little restrictive of what kind of coils I can build. I use the free version of Vape Tools. It allows me to build more complicated coils within a ohm range I want to vape at.

Vape Tool https://vapetool.app/

5 Likes

Agreed, but for the purposes of building simple MTL coils, you’re not going to make anything too elaborate if you’re just starting out with DIY. As far as coil making apps, the door is wide open to whatever suits your fancy.

7 Likes

Thank you for the ohm’s law reminder. when I had my RDA years and years ago I had familiarized myself with it, but it’s been a long time. I should read up on it again.

6 Likes

Thank you Sir

6 Likes

Welcome to the forum @Rad_Nate and @Trent13

I am a MTL vaper and use MTL RTA’s for my testing as well as on a daily basis. I did use a MTL RTA to test for a while but found it was different when in a RTA. Just keep your mixes simple to start and experiment with strength to see what works. If you make the change to RTA’s it gives you more scope to play as you can change out your cotton easily.

7 Likes

Welcome to the forum @Rad_Nate and @Trent13

6 Likes

Welcome to ELR @Rad_Nate and @Trent13.

3 Likes

@Rad_Nate

That is a great app… Unfortunately if you live in the USA (I believe you said you live in Oregon)
…Apple no longer supports it and it cannot be downloaded.
I used to have it and loved it… but my phone offloaded it at one time or another when my space was low and I cannot get it back

Steam engine is still a really good site to do all the math needed for just about any coil

Another suggestion is to follow some of the wizards here (heck… I’ve been diy mixing since 2010 and still learn a lot from them)

@SessionDrummer has the best notes in the flavor section (and anywhere else you see his reviews)

Also

@Wayne_Walker has lots of public recipes that are all great and he also has a YT channel “diyordie” where you can find a lot of great information on getting started… all the way to advanced mixing (and everything in between)

There are a bunch of other great mixers here whom I just don’t have enough time to mention but all of them are great and will help you in some way or another

Lastly, you definitely can buy prebuilt coils made for any kind of vaping or devices… in fact you may actually fall in luv with the right set of MTL Aliens
Start with Checking out Coil Clout (there’s a bunch of others that are all great but I would start there)
I think the taste you get off a Clapton or Alien may also help you taste flavors easily due to the saturated vape you’ll be getting… as well as get your nic level down in quite a hurry lol

Good luck and welcome, my friend

6 Likes