Who's handy with home digital media systems?

Can I just reiterate, get a cheap Chromecast, and see what you miss afterwards. ( And I mean one actually Google produced, they have the best support and are reference devices)
Smartphone as useful remote is hard to get away from once you tried.

3 Likes

There are android tv boxes for just over half the price of a chrome cast, they allow me to install apps and not need my phone or computer to watch anything. Why would I go for a chromecast then? Android TV is perfectly controllable from a phone as well.
Casting is a nice feature but not my main priority. Something like the Xiaomi Mi S would be preferably over a Google Chromecast as wellā€¦ it contains the chrome cast ultra, android tv and itā€™s cheaper.

-update- I just see some chromecasts at similar prices so price is not an issue. But Iā€™d like to be able to use it in standalone, without needing any other devices. Phones are not always charged, computers not always available to stream, ā€¦ just additional headaches I donā€™t need. And then thereā€™s the issue of not being able to record on a chromecast too.

2 Likes

A second gen Chromecast is 10usd from eBay. The Xiaomi box is a good choice though, and I believe it has good Chromecast implementation. Just saying that out of my Amazon TV and my second gen Chromecast, I use the casting functionality way more.

3 Likes

In case anyone reading this isnā€™t fully up to spec on what in the hell weā€™re talking about, or at least what I was talking about in regards to NAS. Itā€™s all about the transcoding IMO.

https://www.synology.com/en-global/support/nas_selector

Home based heavy hitter showdown.

1 Like

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Xiaomi-Mi-Box-S-4K-HDR-Android-TV-with-Google-Assistant-Remote-Streaming-Media-Player/677842593

I was reading one of the NAS articles posted above and saw this add for Mi box. Commenters say you can put Kodi and other stuff on it to. That sounds pretty good.

3 Likes

Thanks. I know about the box ā€¦ still exploring the field a little

Black Friday coming soonā€¦ but thatā€™s already a really good price. Too bad we donā€™t have any walmarts here ;(

2 Likes

Nvidia Shield. Can run Plex Media server on it, play games with Geforce Now, IPTV, Netflix, Amazon Prime etcā€¦

3 Likes

Yes, itā€™s a nice piece of equipment but also quite pricey. For that money I think Iā€™d rather get a system that has a full open-source OS that lets me do a bit more than just what Nvidia wants me to do. Gaming is nice to have but not the top priority.
Unless of course they start throwing these things out for cheap on Black Friday, I think iā€™ll pass on that solution for now. Maybe later.

3 Likes

The Shields really donā€™t come too much down in price during the holiday sales unfortunately. The 2015 and 2017 models basically have the same hardware as the new ones so EBay may have them at more reasonable prices if you are ever interested in one.

3 Likes

Hereā€™s an interesting list of whatā€™s compatible with Plex, together with some useful info (for people considering NAS as a media station)

That being said, a cheap NAS in combination with a separate device (even a cheap raspberry pi or similar) works just as well and probably offers more capabilities than relying on the OS and processor speed of your favorite NAS.

2 Likes