Who's handy with home digital media systems?

The times of cable TV have come and gone IMO and I want to upgrade to a fully digital home media system.
What I am looking for is a system that can play media from a local media server, netflix, IPTV and ideally something that I can control with any android device in the house.
I want to be able to record shows, open a web browser and maybe even play some simple games for kids (heavy 3d gaming not required).

There is so much on the market from android boxes, chrome casts, amazon has its toys, raspberry pies, NUCs and so much more. And then I haven’t even started with the software yet :exploding_head:

Are there any pro’s here that can guide me through the digital jungle? I don’t want to spend a fortune on it but it’s got to be something that allows for a wide range of options.

4 Likes

I am not really going to answer your question fully, I do find that a cheap Chromecast fits 90 percent of my needs. The rest is covered by a blu ray player.
I actually sometimes take a Chromecast with me to friends for film nights. I am a minute away from being able to play my contents on their equipment like that.

Now you need something to record stuff it seems.

My take has always been to use separate devices for separate functions. I don’t have a TV but if I did, I sure would not pay extra for it to be smart :slight_smile:

4 Likes

If you are computer savvy, the best thing you can do really… honestly… is just make a home media pc.

A desktop that’s connect to your tv and you can stream Netflix, you can play games, use emulators, surf the net, just a desktop pc, a Bluetooth keyboard with mouse build in and some Bluetooth

The benefit of it is that anything these devices can do, the program owners probably have a “windows” version for it. Or has a something like Kodi that you can install those things on.

Home Theater PC, or home media center.

4 Likes

For Raspberry Pi options

It installs kodi (XBMC), probably one of the best things to happen to media, its a native media center formt that most recent technologies have adapted as their menu system.

For the games through kodi (if using raspberry, might have to get a remote for it)

3 Likes

Lastly,

Just an Xbox one or game console. You can wirelessly connect to your router, get your stuff that you want to watch, and you can use it to play games. You can still put kodi on it to get the video above, or you can play xbox one games on it, but it’ll still do all of the streaming stuf like Netflix, internet browser (get a wireless keyboard/mouse) and etc.

The IPTV features is something that you can get through Kodi (probably the best option for it), that’s if the IPTV thing doesn’t have its own option, but xbox is fairly flexible with installing 3rd party stuff.

This option may be the easiest if you aren’t tech savvy.

2 Likes

@anon28032772 it was easier for me to just get some NAS boxes.

2 Likes

Whats an NAS box?

1 Like

@DarkJester89, @anon28032772
Network Attached Storage. We had a big thread on this subject when @Pro_Vapes was getting into the game.

2 Likes

@DarkJester89 I am a bit tech savvy, just that media’s not really my specialty. When it comes to storage, setup of servers, networking, security, I can stand on my own 2 legs.

@SessionDrummer NAS is purely storage to me, doesn’t deliver any media services

Was really looking for something like a small device I can connect to the TV like an android box, raspberry pi or even a little NUC. Something like the digital boxes that cable providers use, operated by a remote (or preferably mobile device) and offers the capabilities of true smart tv and more.

I’m just a noob when it comes to media and I haven’t followed all the evolutions over the years but I’ve seen setups that are awesome. Just didn’t think to ask what technology they used at the time :frowning:
I can google around, just thought maybe a few people here were into that stuff with all the movie and music threads on ELR.

1 Like

It’s not small, but it does a lot @anon28032772

https://www.amazon.com/Synology-bay-DiskStation-DS918-Diskless/dp/B075N1Z9LT

1 Like

Would it allow me to subscribe to an IPTV service and browse channels / record shows, play netflix / amazon prime video, etc?

2 Likes

Well you have to use common sense here mate, hehe. You can browse channels, Netflix, Amazon Prime straight through your smart TV. Can’t make beer with a bottle opener, but you sure can OPEN a beer with one.

If you know what you want, and know tech, you’ll decide what’s right for you. Is there a true AIO for this ?

2 Likes

Err… I have a dumb TV :stuck_out_tongue: That’s one of the reasons I want a digital system, to make it smart. I’m never investing in a smart TV and allowing the manufacturer to tell me what I can and cannot do.

3 Likes

Well you’ll have to decide how hard or easy to accomplish what you want then. It’s up to you. Don’t need one, and the above link shows how you can Plex your way to happiness.

1 Like
2 Likes

https://www.techwalla.com/articles/how-to-add-netflix-to-plex

2 Likes

I know, I’m not choosing the easiest option, I want the best (or at least a pretty good one).
I’ve been looking around and reading a lot, just not sure if I want to use something like a raspberry pi, NUC or a simple android box.
I’ve checked out SmartTV’s by friends and family and they just look too limited in the options they provide. I pretty much scrapped the idea of chrome cast already as too limited too.

I am currently running some tests with Plex on my desktop and some emulators, thanks for the links.

2 Likes

Sometimes a PC can be the right option.

2 Likes

But it’s still nice to sit in front of a TV with a remote in your hand and not need a 25m HDMI cable that’s running through the house :crazy_face:

2 Likes

Hehe, yeah, that’s the trick though. Don’t want a box, need a PC, cables, etc. No one way to get there.

2 Likes