Why am I getting a burning taste?

https://forum.e-liquid-recipes.com/t/think-i-need-to-rewick-or-good-for-another-week-lol/248903/18
Why complain when you can have this…

3 Likes

Indeed, but they never tasted burnt… :rofl:

2 Likes

[…rubs the DarcCrystal ball] ~~In the near future we’ll have diamond nanocrystalline fibers …it will be the wick and the wire :exploding_head:

4 Likes

Ian its all good, and everyone is different. Some like a bbq sausage burnt and others like them still a little pink. It’s just been a bad week and i got a laugh out of how black everything looked. No disrespect ment. Sorry if you took any offence. Xxx

2 Likes

Not at all mate. Sorry you have had a bad week, hope the weekend is better for you. :grinning:

4 Likes

Life is full of ups and downs, it all evens out. I spent a week sanding down window jams in the new house so I could clear coat the beautiful mahogany, the father in law came around and without asking decided to fill everything with body filler, now i have big pink areas in all my beautifully sanded window frames.

4 Likes

That would be hard. Sounds like he meant well but how frustrating for you.

3 Likes

Yep thats it, but all hand sanded.

3 Likes

@brian41 I think Aircraft Grade (Epoxy) paint stripper will remove Bondo. [/insert a solid Woodworking BroHug here …and 3 shots of hard liquor] :man_facepalming:

Neeext

@ownedbypandas In my current search for which Mesh RTA to buy I learned a couple more tidbits that may relate to your unhappiness. I’ll post a good review video below that points to several issues in how these tanks operate. Those traits are consistently shared between all the new mesh RTAs (wicking and wattage)
1.) The cotton that comes with some products may be in insufficient. In the below video the Reviewer uses an alternate cotton “shoelace” wick which basically results in just more cotton (he uses 3!) and that allows vaping at a higher wattage compared to using the included Factory cotton.
2.) Mesh vapes are notoriously “cool vapes” compared to what many Vapers have come to enjoy …a nice warm vape. If a warm vape is your thing, then a mesh tank may not be what you desire. Looks like vaping over say 70W to get that warm vape could lead to tasting burnt …because it’s burnt. When you watch videos of mesh coils firing …wow it’s very hot very fast over a wide area. It’s easy to see for me that this could be quickly too hot, too fast …so (?) “it is what it is” vape-wise (I want a warm vape?)

Here you can check out a review for the Kylin M RTA where I snagged these tidbits re: wicking and Mesh RTAs

6 Likes

So thanks @ownedbypandas, after trying to answer this question, I went out to a local Vape Shop and picked up a GeekVape Zues X Mesh and it’s awesome. It’s super cloudy for days and it’s ALL flavor and clouds but strangely cool …kinda distracting actually as huge clouds always meant a hotter vape …hmmm. I like it but it’s a totally different vape experience …maybe even a little jarring. One thing for sure the flavor goes to 11 …meanwhile still tinkering.

ALL the notes by the reviewer in my suggested videos above are so far true. Example the N80 strips in temp control weren’t as good as just using that N80 mesh in power/wattage mode. I may not worry about acquiring SS 316 mesh.

6 Likes

That’s probably because N80, while 80% Nickel and the remainder being chromium, is not a TC capable material. So I can understand straight power mode working better. :+1:t2:

3 Likes

Yeah, I was surprised a reviewer would use Ni80 in TC. I didn’t think it was compatible from what I researched.

3 Likes

WICK HARD! W00T

4 Likes

Have to say this is the thirstyest atomizer ever (for me), but that was instantly predictable when I saw the easy cool clouds. I’m vaping the N80 mesh at a carefully chosen 57 Watts on my GeekVape Aegis Legend. Juuust right. The only weirdness was seeing the ohms going up/down when I ran it higher. I may get crazy and jam a S-ton of hemp wick in there …I’ll report back …in Nov :wink:

4 Likes

I’m not so sure wicking tighter is always better

that wicking experiment had a few problems like the length of the wicks they were extremely long.
Much longer than any tank would ever need which alone really changes everything, wicks are dynamic and behave very differently based on length, width and density. he also did not do any kind of fluffing etc
it’s wasn’t quite a real world scenario

I watched that video and alot of oen’s airflow videos as well, he even released a few tanks and they reviewed extremely poorly especially for a guy who supposedly knows what he is talking about but I really do appreciate his effort

IMO wicking tight can definitely be overdone, there is a sweet spot but I am talking about traditional coils I have no experience with mesh and his experiment was not done with mesh either

3 Likes

Im not sure if you’re supposed to or not, I just did it like a regular coil thinking it would be the same. Next time I do it I wont dry burn it and see how it turns out.

3 Likes

Actually that is the exact tank this guy at the vape store recommended to me. My only thing against that one is I like the throat hit more, so with my experience with RDA’s the top vented tanks dont hit as hard as bottom or mid vented tanks.

2 Likes

For a mesh RTA just go with the Kylin M, for a mesh RDA can’t go wrong with the original Wotofo Profile RDA. I try every mesh out there and these are my goto aside from the steamcrave Titan with the dual series mesh deck, awesome performance but 41mm tank.

Edit: the steamcave mesh cotton strips works excellent with the Titan dual series mesh deck

3 Likes

Thanks bro. I have to agree every tank has it’s sweet spot in terms of wicking. Still evaluating my Zeus X Mesh and I’m experiencing perhaps what @ownedbypandas has been experiencing. As far as wicking goes I am flashing back to my old GeekVape 22mm Griffin who’s performance was 100% about wicking. “Wicking hard” helped me there, but both you and @mjag have important points as I am more recently discovering.

Like @ownedbypandas I am getting intermittent burnt flavor …not really dry hits. Thinking back to my Griffin, wicking was balancing leaking with juice flow, but the design is different with the Zeus X. My fix however is the same, which is burping to top juice fill cap. I noticed that the tank works fine even as it almost empties …no burnt taste even when only 0.1 ml of juice is visible. It’s when it’s full. Also when I take off the top to fill, those first hits are extra juicey.

So now I’m about 90% full and I get a slightly “burnt” vape. I “burp” (just loosen and re-tighten) the top fill and watch as a couple small bubbles rise up. Of course that shouldn’t be necessary …possibly wicked too hard :wink: …especially in the juice well slots, I am figuring. The juice flow may be maximized but more importantly the back-airflow may be getting minimized …a slight vaporlock (?)

In various mesh build videos the recommends show just cutting the mesh wick flat against the tank (which I did), while others then also trim diagonally down from the top. In older wicking sessions with various bottom feed tanks I would take my tweezers and poke the wick inwards slightly at the outside edges of the wick slots, making a little gap for air to equalize and that always worked well. I mean of course the cotton would just move back into those gap, but much less densely.

I got some confidence just burping the tank and seeing air bubbles coming up from the bottom, and it should be an easy test. Adding, that after the burnt taste I was right back to flavorful clouds next toot. Wicking hard works for the coil/mesh itself, maybe not so much for the juice well slots to @warkwarth point. Is true? Getting a burnt taste? Burp your top fill cap and watch up close for air bubbles and analyze your juice well wicking technique. I’ll be back if I get any post testing info with the ZeusX M. Thanks guys

7 Likes

Oh, I meant to add that almost every Reviewer of these Mesh RTAs advised these mesh tanks weren’t a good choice for new Vapers. We’re all rather expert (especially @mjag …who has everything ever made :wink: ) and this conversation has gotten somewhat granular. Stuff discussed here leads me to agree with those reviewers. There are certainly other atomizer options which would be simply more “plug-n-play” …but that flavor tho~!

8 Likes