Why are Cloned pieces of gear ok?

I stopped at a local B&M the other day and they had a clone of a Sherman tank. Looked it over and it was real nice. Great threads, no grinding marks. Great form, fit and function all around. I would hope no one chooses to be offended by this but for $30 somebody built a better mouse trap. The mouse trap came home with me.

9 Likes

Originally you said that if you can’t afford the $10k watch you should probably buy a Timex. So if I can’t afford a $140 kayfun, what do you recommend I buy?

What if they no longer make the original product I want and only a clone is available? Then what?

5 Likes

You should buy whatever you want. I was definitely overreacting to all of this. It was baffling to me that companies would copy so blatently and everyone was cool with it. I’ve come down from the shock of realizing how the market works, stepping off of my ridiculous high horse and firmly into reality.

5 Likes

I appreciate your humility and your sense of ethics. I too find a lot of practices unpalatable. Try my best to keep things reasonable and realistic. I don’t pretend to have answers.

6 Likes

This is the problem with your whole prespective on clones.
Someone in the US or Europe spends thousands or tens of thousands of dollars designing, prototyping and bringing a authentic product to market. Then the folks in China copy it … 1 to 1… Exactly
Well except for the quality of the raw materials and the quality of the machining and packaging… But as long as it looks close enough to the naked eye… Then you buy it. How does the authentic company afford to design the v2???
Its theft plain and simple and if you are using it then you are at least supporting theft and really you are vaping stolen property.

2 Likes

I always thought CLONES might be legal licensed cheaper versions.

So, some buyers will go for the higher priced original, and other will buy the less expensive one.

But still some-where the mother company would benefit. And no one says anything, or takes actions, just because there’s some kind of agreement behind the curtain. IDK

4 Likes

little do some know…some of the clone are coming right from factory where the originals were machined…i seen on a face book page where a member of QP said since the original fatality was sold out at the QP site…get the clone same exact thing made same place…that was from QP…

8 Likes

I firmly believe that the whole vaping industry is just one building in China and a mega factory where everything is manufactured. All the different companies are an illusion. They start selling something at $50, and make 7000% profit, and then they “clone” it, sell it for $5 and still make 700% profit, and they laugh all the way to the bank :slight_smile:

8 Likes

For my two pence, I just bought a clone because I’d never had an RDA before and for a fiver, who cares if it’s a disaster? As it happens, I love it, so I intend to buy a genuine one now, cause that feels like the right thing to do, but that’s just me and we’re talking about something that’s twenty five quid. I will say though, where it gets a little grey-er for me is when companies are charging £150 quid for an atty and a clone can be had for £15, that does beg a question of profit margin on the genuine article, and whether or not we should be concerned with honouring their intellectual property if all they plan on doing with it is ripping us off?

11 Likes

That reminds me of a certain electronics company.

5 Likes

Monster cable? :rofl:

6 Likes

beats by dre does that too if I recall correctly.
They used to put weigh in their headphones.

1 Like

Not the one I was thinking of, but they fit the bill as well!

3 Likes

This is my take on clones also…if there was no ridiculous overpricing there wouldn’t be any clones. In many ways the copyright laws are a way of being so secretive that any thing you say to publicise the product can not be refuted…hand engraved for example so that’s why we charge 300€. Then you look at a chinese clone and realise this is a load of horseshit.

This is why when apple tried to sue because other companies were making there phones phone shaped it got thrown out of court. I something is truly never been done before fine but many things can not be realistically done in any other way so it’s fair game.

4 Likes

I have recently moved away from sub-two to MTL tanks and have purchased four different tanks in the past 3 months. Two have been purchased from UK respected suppliers and came with full manufacturers verification codes which past the verification checks.
The other two from a well know Chinese supplier (GB). Before each purchase I asked the company if they were genuine product and NOT CLONES, in both instance they replied that they were genuine. When they arrived they were obviously copies, looked good but had small design diffences, missing handbooks, no verification codes etc. I contacted both the original tank manufacturers but apart from saying you have been sold a fake they seem little interested, so are they involved in the production or sale of these item? Interestingly the only thing the supplier did not copy in both instances was a manual.
Both of these products have proved to be good and I am using without problem and have not bothered to purchase original to check if they preform differently. Furthermore having challenged the supplier I have received them free via refund or credit so they are admitting they are selling g clones.

3 Likes

Well selling you a clone whilst pretending it is not one is not correct. I didn’t know that gearbest did this. All I can suggest is that you use fasttech next time as they always tell you. It will say authentic…etc.etc.

Other than that misrepresentation issue I can’t see a problem :slight_smile: Buyer beware…and do your research :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I had a similar problem with Gearbest. They SUCK & are a bunch of liars.

Also, they post fake reviews for the products.

6 Likes

Pretty much sums GB up. Will never order from them.

6 Likes

Yes I agree about false reviews, also will try a d bribe you with GB points to change a bad one.

6 Likes

looking into getting the reasonably priced authentic and stumbled on this while watching reviews. u may find it as entertaining as i did.

6 Likes