Wick disappears in coil

Know it has probably been covered a thousand times but I am going nuts trying go get my wicks to last more than a day or two. Following all the various tutorials but the wick inside by coils seems to disappear! Using UD cotton pads and currently 40vg/60pg mix of mainly fruit based juice in various mtl tanks. Use as 29g wire 3mm Id 7/8 wraps
in temp mode. Vapour production starts out good but gradually declines to useless. Never had this when I was sub ohm with DIY coils on bigger decks. Wick either side of the coil sometimes gets a bit dark but in generally good condition the coil is gunked up but does not appear to have any cotton
Inside.

4 Likes

I encountered that years ago. In my case:

• Temperature was too high for the build
  • Juices were loaded with sweetener
  • Used too much cotton and it was ā€˜damming upā€™ at the edges and failing to wick to the inside of the coil properly (especially because I ā€˜chain vapeā€™ and it never wicked up fast enough)
9 Likes

Phil,

Thanks for suggestions, I will be rewicking at least one of my tanks in next day or so. Will try all and report back.

Jim16

Get BlueMail for Android

6 Likes

Any more details? Like whatā€™s your setup, power, etc? My listed issues may not be yours, and someone else may spot something amiss.

5 Likes

Pics could help us help you. When I first started rebuilding I had similar issues.

5 Likes

What kind of mod are you using? Not all mods do TC well, some may fire up way above the temperature that you setā€¦
When I use temp control, I rarely go above 250Ā°C, usually 230-240Ā°C and my cotton stays white. Anything dark on my wicks is gunk from the coil.

Like Deerslayer said, pics can tell a 1000 words, so grab your phone, snap a few pics of the issue and copy/paste them in the thread if you can.

6 Likes

ā€œ29g wire 3mm Id 7/8 wrapsā€?

I canā€™t even IMAGINE how you could get cotton threaded into 29ga wire (and maintain a coil shape) and still end up with something capable of being vaped more than 1 or two draws.

More information (pics/atty/mod) is definitely in order here IMO.

7 Likes

Believe me when I tell you that it is your cotton. Those cotton pads are worthless. Normally I donā€™t mention what people use for wicking material but sense you askedā€¦

Try Supema Cotton. Like this for instance. Superior Wicks; www.superiorwicks.co.uk Shipping isnā€™t bad either. I live in the States and it was like 5 dollars or so. Even cotton bacon is better than that ko gen do or those pads. I mean no offense but I went through the same thing as you and The cotton mentioned above wonā€™t burn out like that. You might also consider Rayon also.

Good luck

4 Likes

Excuse me sir, KGD is the best flippin cotton I have tried! :rofl:
Iā€™ll trade a full pack of cotton bacon (any version), the remainder of the rayon and hemp I have for a single KGD pad :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Even the (only) slightly lower quality muji pads are better than CB.

5 Likes

Believe me, I hate cotton bacon but it doesnā€™t burn out like KGD or Muji. Supima cotton is pretty darn good. Way better than those makeup pads!!! :face_vomiting:

Seriously though, thatā€™s why I donā€™t like talking about wicking material. Itā€™s like talking about religion and politics. People get so testy about it. Personally, I donā€™t care if someone wants to use toilet paper. As long as they are enjoying themselves but the person that posted is burning the center out of their material and I suggested some that wonā€™t do that. :innocent: :grin: :wink:

5 Likes

I know I knowā€¦ itā€™s a bit like flavors, very personal choice and not everybody likes the same things. The only time Iā€™ve burnt through cotton though is when I was using non-TC wire and the mod accidentally fired in a pocket or bag.
Iā€™ve been vaping on KGD since the beginning of 2017 though and Iā€™ve tried a lot of different cottons and alternativesā€¦ keep coming back to this and the stuff lasts forever. Wick it right and it wicks fast and full flavor from the first rip. So far, I get the best flavor out of this cotton too. Most other cotton Iā€™ve tried mutes flavors or leaves some kind of taste behind.

Thatā€™s what I have left since then.

In any case, vaping at safe temperatures shouldnā€™t burn any 100% pure cotton so if the OPā€™s cotton disappears (burns up), temperatures get too hot for some reason.

4 Likes

Yeah, Iā€™m with @anon28032772. KGD is the only cotton I use as well. Iā€™m trying to figure out exactly what the OP is/was talking about. I donā€™t mean gunking, thatā€™s suc or EM, but cotton disappearing ??

5 Likes

ya, as @anon28032772 said, it got too hot and he burned the cotton out of the inside of the coil. I am assuming here but I reckon the OP likes a warm vape and KGD or Muji just isnā€™t good at high temps.

I have had this sense the very beginning and I gave most of it away but I just might try it again because ever since the cotton I use went out of business I have been bumming. I just canā€™t find good material. Though @Deerslayer sent me some Rayon and I am in the middle of trying it now. I can say this about it though, " dry hits very disgusting ".

6 Likes

@Dan_the_Man thatā€™s why rayon is a pain to wick when you are first trying. Once you get it dialed in, itā€™s awesome. As far as dry hits being ā€œdisgustingā€, I personally donā€™t know how to describe it and have a hard time deciding if getting kicked in the balls is worse. Well anyway, dry hits suck.

6 Likes

OH SHIT, hehe, I didnā€™t even THINK that the OP was cooking the cotton out. OMG. BACK DOWN THE WATTAGE OP !!!

LOL. Glad I asked for a follow up @Dan_the_Man

5 Likes

@Dan_the_Man I tinkered with the Rayon for a bit, and being a mid wattage, non-TC vaper, it never took hold. Didnā€™t have any complaints, but having to pull/pack it in because it behaves opposite of cotton made me mental. I never really picked up on any real clean/flavor differences on my rigs to cotton. I AM however, vaping low to mid watts, so I canā€™t offer anything into the higher watt vape plume debate.

4 Likes

I started out with 32ga ā€¦ very carefully.

6 Likes

I found that no matter what you use, if the coil gunks up enough, the wick burns, or, in the case of rayon melts and vaporizes.

5 Likes

Rayon is awesome as long as you arenā€™t going to vape it too hot/dry. I use rayon and KGD pretty exclusively; they are both pretty economical also. That said if you are vaping anything with <.75% sweetener your going to get build up on the coils and wicks pretty fast. I am OCD about changing out cotton and donā€™t even think about doing it every other day if there is any flavor loss.

6 Likes

It is much easier to get a dry hit (burnt coil) with stainless steel then kanthal if you are vaping in power. I personally prefer .5mm SS316 and 22 or 24 gauge kanthal for my daily builds (spaced round wire)ā€¦Dan is the exotic coiling king, but on a budget and not a coil craftsman (save twisted builds) I like a meatier coil ā€¦heck higher gauge SS wire can burn out and melt (break) if you crank it up too much.

6 Likes