Wifi question ( not vape related )

I think i asked this question a few years ago. If i did, i cant find the thread for it.
.Can someone please tell me why my TV and laptop buffer when I’m in the basement or second level of my home. I am still with spectrum ( they suck) Unfortunately in this part of WNY spectrum is the only provider for TV and WIFI at the moment. I contacted them about this issue several times. They rebooted my modem, sent some sort of signal ( several times) to my modem and i still cant watch Netflix or Prime without interruptions. I thought maybe if increase my speed, the problem would be solved. I was told that even if i increase my speed, i could still have this issue. Right now im running at 100 Mbps. Will a WIFI extender or a better modem help. If not do you have any suggestions. Ty
FYI. I am not tech savy at all .

8 Likes

I would try a WiFi extender before getting any new gear.

8 Likes

Signal quality. Plain and simple. The farther away from your router a device is the lower the signal. Buffering is especially apparent when you’re streaming something.
Yes, definitely get an extender or 2.

10 Likes

But that’s the speed entering your router from the provider. From there it will begin to degrade.

7 Likes

Do you use extenders? If so can you recommend one?

5 Likes

Ok, thank you

5 Likes

I have a pathetic 6mb circuit but I can still stream HD on the gear. Unless you are using every bit of the 100mb at all times, you should be able to carve out enough room.

The extender I use is old so no sense in recommending it. TP-Link makes some simple to set up home units that work pretty well.

Oh, and thank you all for your kindness and fellowship. Maybe I’ll see y’all around sometime.

6 Likes

I use a Netgear RP600 extender for my outside IP cam. You may want to Google wi-fi extender reviews and you should be able to find one that fits your needs.

6 Likes

Are you moving on? Did I miss something (again)?

7 Likes

Let’s just say that if you are offered a staff position, pass. :wink:

6 Likes

Only on the recipe side would I accept a mod position. And that would be as hell freezes over.

6 Likes

Sounds like you are using the wifi built in to the Spectrum modem. That may be your weak link, and adding simple extenders or antennas won’t help.

I’d recommend getting a stand alone “Matrix System” wifi router. Kill the wifi in the Spectrum modem and plug the stand alone router into it with an Ethernet cable.

After fighting wifi problems in a 4000 sqft, 3 story home, I bought a Netgear Orbi system a few years ago. Main router in on the lower level, with one Orbi repeater on the second level. Devices in the 3rd story bedrooms get excellent signal strength, often with 3 different video streams running. Netflix in the main level family room, Amazon Prime video in a 3rd story bedroom, and Youtube on a desktop in the lower level man cave.

Matrix systems use bandwidth outside of the normal wifi and are much more reliable than normal wifi extenders.

6 Likes

Thank you ‘Phil’ for the same.

I think I’ll move on myself. But I will say to everyone what I said to him privately: as long as I have known him, he always does the right thing with everyone’s best interest at heart. Its a shame that this fundamental principal seems to have gone by the wayside in favor of self interest and vindictiveness by those who feel some right to make their own rules.

5 Likes

I would suggest getting something like this: https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Router-AX1800-Archer-AX21/dp/B08H8ZLKKK

The wireless in isp modems pretty much sucks. Get one of these, turn off the wireless on the modem, and enjoy. These are powerful enough you most likely won’t need extenders. I would avoid extenders if you can. I installed a Tplink at my house and have more than enough range over my entire property. Have also used at relatives houses to fix poor wireless. Of course, there are many variables when dealing with wireless signal. If you need help, let me know. My day job is IT.

7 Likes

Wait, what?
I must be dense as a post. Did I miss something???

7 Likes

Ok, thank you

4 Likes

@robin, I deal with this ALL the time.

5 Likes

:Thank you, I truly envy people like you.

4 Likes

@robin, I can give you FAR more info than you want here.

Let me START, by letting everyone in, on the BAD thing about extenders. They CAN increase your signal strength, but they cut the BANDWIDTH in HALF.

Let that sink in first.

7 Likes

Ok, im a bit confused. With the TP-link will i still need WIFI from sp?

4 Likes