Wonder Flavors Single Flavor Tests by SessionDrummer Part III -- Mixing Now!

There are only 2 Meringues I use.
Meringue (SC) (WF) & (FA)

For me there is no use in looking any further.

6 Likes

Very interesting about getting a brûlée (toasted) note from WF Meringue. I usually use a touch of FW Toasted Marshmallow around .25-.50 to assist FA Meringue in something like a lemon meringue pie to create that toasted meringue note.

7 Likes

@McDuckie hehe, I didn’t get any torched from WF’s, but I did/do from FA’s. I do agree with adding a smidge of Toasted MM to it though.

4 Likes

Oops read that wrong. :face_with_hand_over_mouth: I thought it said that you did get toasted notes from WF. My bad

4 Likes

Mojito (SC) (WF) 3.5% (9-16-23) – As a heavy Mojito drinker, I love to test flavors claiming to be Mojitos, and see how they fared. This one got it in the ballpark, and maybe a bit more. This tasted a bit different than the last time I tested it, and I actually got some light Rum in this one, and that was bonus. Nicely sweet, and just below mid-level, and there were some nice Lime notes rolling around in there, but I almost got hints of Lemon. Now for any of you who DO mix up fresh Mojitos, it’s ALL about the Lime, and Mint. While the Lemon (unidentified citrus) notes were fairly light, they WERE in there, and honestly, I felt like it pulled it a little towards a Rum and Sprite. Not entirely, BUT, there was some of that going on. It did have a very slight sparkle, which I assumed was an attempt at a slight fizzy-ness, so there was a tiny bit of that as well. The Mint was maybe a 50/50 split of Natural/Candied, so it wasn’t the full “Fresh Mint” ride, but it got the job done. Now perhaps my critiques were over the top, perhaps not, and it’s hard NOT to, when you grow fresh Mint in the backyard just FOR Mojitos !!! I do. All in, it WAS a Mojito, just maybe not 100% like I make them, and it felt like (to my tastes), it was about 85% of the way there, and I’ll leave it at an 8.5/10.

14 Likes

YES, I actually AM a Mojito snob …

6 Likes

OK, ok, AND the Rum …

6 Likes

Did this one (Meringue) give you a sugar lip vibe?

6 Likes

I would say “somewhat” @Lynda_Marie, but not entirely.

5 Likes

I’m going to try it as a sweetener. I didn’t get a toasted vibe but almost a slight marshmallow-y vibe that left a lingering sweetness on my tongue. It’s a good one for sure.

6 Likes

Mmm lime and rum!!! Right down my alley never had a mojito but now I want to try one. I’d suggest VT Light rum with VT Lime Cordial (it’s a blending of the zest of VT Persian Lime and a lime juice) ie. Vt Shisha Lime. Is a mojito made with water or lemon lime soda?

4 Likes

Club Soda or Sparkling water. My wife and I drank them in Cuba at the fake bar Hemingway frequented. (Just found out it wasn’t true)

3 Likes

@McDuckie I can’t speak to everywhere, but when I make them, it’s ONLY Limes, Fresh Mint, Simple Syrup, and Club Soda (and Rum !!!).

5 Likes

@big_vape it’s got QUITE the history …

7 Likes

Mousse (Mango) (SC) (WF) 3.5% (9-16-23) – While not eating much mousse, except for maybe a chocolate one from time to time, I had NO CLUE what this one would hold in store. As the flavor was breaking in, on the first tester, I was almost SURE, this was an unholy pairing, and NOT a good idea. As it broke in however, it did start to settle into a rather unique flavor profile. Now I don’t think I ever really got a “mousse”, but there was def. some creamy/creamery elements going on and it did seem (oddly enough) to pair with the Mango. The mango was very similar to the one in the Mango Gummy Candy, along with the same light off-note. Because of the pairing with a creamy element, much/most of the bright upper notes of the Mango were subdued, and it centered most around the mid-body notes. The creamy/creamery did seem to dilute the mango somewhat, as it wasn’t as present as it might have been solo’d. At 3.5% it was fairly strong overall, and sweetness was just at mid-level. The (almost) plasticky off-note that I got from the MGC was back again, and still fairly light, and there was an almost dry-ness to the finish. The off-note could probably easily be hidden, but be advised, it was still here. A “Creamy Mango” isn’t exactly what it presented as, BUT, it is close enough for comparison sake. Although I liked it a lot more after it fully broke in, I was still not a HUGE fan of the pairing, and the slight off-notes would need to be tamed/tempered before I could really like it. Putting it a little higher than the Mango Gummy Candy, at a 6.95/10.

11 Likes

Orange Gummy Candy (SC) (WF) 3.5% (9-17-23) – If you’re in a hurry, this flavor tastes exactly like this. If you’re NOT in a hurry, read on. This one presented literally almost exactly as an orange slice candy, with even SOME, of the sugar granules on the outside. It leaned almost entirely towards an artificial orange, with some of the “Tang” mixed in. It was very good at 3.5%, and like almost all of the other “gummy” candy flavors here, I didn’t get much gummy. Now, with that said, when I think of “gummy” I’m thinking of Haribo Gummy Bears, which have the gelatinous gummy-ness to them. This one while NOT a hard candy, DID favor the aforementioned Orange Slice Candy. Now if that equals a “gummy” to you, then you ARE in luck with this one. Sweetness was just above mid-level, and no overt off-notes, except for maybe a slight “twinge” of sharpness on the finish, but it was minor. All in, an almost PERFECT Orange Slice Candy, that while def. a candy, didn’t push the gummy envelope for me. It was soo authentically close to the Orange Slices, I will have to rate it much higher than the previously tested gummy candies, and leave it at a 9.1/10.

14 Likes

Pastry Cream (SC )(WF) 3.5% (3-22-23) – This one presented as a fairly neutral creamery, with some nicely defined mouthfeel. . Not sure if the attempt was for a Mascarpone Cream or not, but there were some clear BA notes that persisted throughout. I didn’t get the clear sense of a Pastry Cream, but it was much more than a simple dairy or cream. There was some light undertones that resembled a pastry filling, but they were undertones only. It was fairly full at 3.5%, yet still somewhat light. It was sweetened, and tasted a little below mid-level. The BA did thicken it up a bit, and also added a slight sourness on the finish. Your BA sensitivity (or lack thereof) may decide whether or not this one is for you or not. All in, a fairly generic, mostly neutral cream, with some good mouthfeel with a slight sourness on the finish. It felt fairly placed at 6.5/10.

11 Likes

Peach (Juicy) (SC) (WF) 3.5% (9-18-23) – As I always mention, I try to NOT read other flavor reviews before reviewing them, to avoid any “contamination” of my own review(s). I have some VERY interesting thoughts on this one, and did check others thoughts on it, JUST to see if anyone else got, what I was getting. Interestingly enough, no one did, or had. Pressing on with my seemingly unique thoughts on this one. When loading the first tester, I was immediately greeted with what I can only describe as a fairly “cactus” like dominant note. After that, I did get some good yellow peach behind that, and at times, slight hints of an almost Fuji Apple. Yeah, that’s why I checked around, as no one else got that from this flavor. It never presented as a full on, juicy yellow peach to my tastes, and the peach notes I did get, while good, played almost second fiddle to the cactus note(s). It was quite a bit different than say TPA’s Juicy Peach, which I use regularly. It wasn’t that it was a bad flavor, but I’ve got a rather “hate/hate” relationship with cactus, and despite it adding “juicy-ness” to mixes, I cannot use it, so keep that in mind with this review.

It felt like a 6.5/10 on the strength scale, and it felt like it could be stronger, and that was at my 3.5% testing weight. Sweetness was a few ticks below mid-level, and no off-notes, BUT, for the cactus. It did have a fairly juicy overall profile, but I wouldn’t call it mouth wateringly so. I didn’t really get much if any skin, and that was probably (again), due to the cactus note. All in, I couldn’t see using it to pull the main Peach freight, but def. could see it in mixes. With my disdain for cactus-es out in the open, I would have to leave this one at a 6.0/10.

13 Likes

I dislike using cactus all together. I don’t shy away from mixing others recipes that use it, but would not use it in one of mine…I’m wondering if that’s the juiciness I’m getting but not getting a cactus note. Interesting. This one goes really well with peach (sweet type) SSA, or peach (raw) VSO. I did the beta test of this one and I rated it high then as well. :slight_smile: I love hearing your thoughts on these!

6 Likes

Bloody hell yes! Not even gonna mess around with a small bottle. When i was a lil fella me and my Gpaw would drive down to the candy factory on Saturday mornings and buy freshly made orange slices and circus peanuts, then go home and watching AWA and some of the smaller southern rasslin organizations with Gmaw. I cant eat them anymore so next best thing is to vape them.

7 Likes