Wonder Flavors (WF) Part II Single Flavor Tests by SessionDrummer -- Mixing NOW!

Ben Stiller Do It GIFs | Tenor

Still waiting for mine but that one will be high on the list. Mind you I normally let my nose pick what’s first when they arrive.

8 Likes

Yes! You won’t be disappointed!

5 Likes

Here’s my thoughts on Pancake. Here it goes- this is what I posted in the notes section. I finished my 10 ml tester.

Tested at 2% steeped 5 days. I’m getting a plain, buttery pancake. Like take a fresh cooked pancake off the griddle and put some butter on it. At first I didn’t get a ton of butter notes but the more I vape it this its a nice buttery bakery. You could totally make a pancake recipe with this, part of a cake base, soft cookie base, and even give some richness in custards. Nevans Custard is an example of that. Where I use a small amount of biscuit in some of my custards, I can see where working well in place of biscuit, A light fluffiness with a buttery texture. The more I vape it, the more I like it! Add some maple syrup, blueberries and whipped cream, you have yourself a nice breakfast recipe. Very nice, I’ll definitely pick up more!
Accent- .5-1%
Background-1-2%
Main 2+
Solo-Unless vaping a plain buttery pancake is your thing, then no.

9 Likes

Mixed at 2% steeped 5 days. Taffy (peanut butter)
I don’t know what to think about this one. I’m getting the taffy vibe throughout the vape but the exhale I’m getting a dry almost peanut skin. I’m getting peanut butter, but on that tail end there is that dryness and off note. It’s good! True to what the name is, and maybe in a mix that off note can be hidden. I’d use this in conjunction with TFA Peanut butter, for a cookie maybe? I might try it in a buttery custard. It’s ok, that off note can hopefully be worked out somehow. I wouldn’t go lower than 2% because that taffy texture might get lost. and it could possibly be pushed to 3%. It’s just ok for me. It is a true taffy though. I don’t get those little wrapped in orange candies at Halloween though like I’ve heard others mention. If I can find the right spot in a mix I might buy more… I’m thinking mixed with TFA, it might be better.
Accent-1% (?)
Background 1.5%
Main-2-3%
Solo-maybe with sweetener

9 Likes

Tested at 3.5% Sugar Pie
At first before I vaped this I thought it was going to be a pecan pie filling without the pecans. Very dense, and thick syrupy texture, but no! Sugar pie is made with milk, eggs, butter, flour and brown sugar. This is almost like a custard to me. Thinner obviously due to the milk. Dark, sweet, not really eggy, but custard-ish. I’m halfway through my 10 mls and it’s really delicious. The brown sugar isn’t a musky type, it’s smooth, I don’t get off notes, but I don’t get a lot of crust. Sugar pie is made is a flakey pie crust in real life, I get a little bit on the tail end, but that’s OK! Add a little pie crust (ooo) or even TFA cheesecake (graham crust) and you’ll have a sugar cream pie. This will be a great addition to pies, custards, cakes, cookies. Maybe even a darker fruit. This comes across nicely as a sugar pie (minus most of the crust). There’s a lot you can do with this. Nicely done Wonder Flavors! I’m very impressed with this one! Very true to the profile! I’ll be finishing off this tester for sure!
Accent-1%
Background-2-3%
Main 3-5%
Solo-almost

11 Likes

I havent tried this one yet. When i smelled it i instantly felt i Had to throw lemon at it. Do you think its too dark for lemon

4 Likes

My mind always goes right to custards lol but I had enough left to soak my cotton this morning so as I’m vaping this again this could accent a stronger lemon. I don’t think 3.5% is maxed out with this flavor. As with a lot of WF this isn’t what I would consider a SC. So my answer is yes, I think this could definitely work with a lemon.

7 Likes

Pancake (WF) 3.5%/1.75% (4-2-22) – Alrighty, it’s GO TIME. After much peer pressure from @Lynda_Marie, I had to push this one to the TOP, as, well, I have a Pancake problem. Alright, you may notice I DUAL tested this one @ both 3.5%, and then dropped to 1.75%. I went through three testers to try and figure out what was going on here. It smelled VERY close to pancakes, but something seemed to get lost in the translation when tasting it. Not that is was bad, but it didn’t translate as well, as opposed to smelling it. I kept trying to nail down exactly what I felt to be missing, and after 3 testers, it seemed like it was missing the heavier bakery, lower level to ground it fully as a pancake. It had the mid and brighter notes, but just felt kind of ungrounded to me. Funny because it took 3 testers to even TRY to figure it out. Sweetness was about mid level, and it did have some buittery-ness, but without an overt buttery taste. No maple/ maple syrup notes, which did leave it fairly neutral. So the question, if it wasn’t a full on pancake , then what was it ? Maybe more of a light butter cake, or vanilla butternut perhaps. Again, not bad by any means, but I just wish that how it smelled completely carried over to how it tasted. Overall, to my tastes, it felt like it was 65-70% of the way there, towards a full pancake, so with that said, it felt fair @ 7/10.

I’ve seen @Lynda_Marie’s review on this one, and am VERY curious to hear what YOU guys think of it. Feel free to share !!

12 Likes

Hami Melon (WF) 3.5% 4-2-22 – Having NEVER actually had a Hami Melon I had no clue what this one would present as. I was immediately drawn to the similarities to Cantaloupe Melon, but tempered somewhat, into something more. Very interesting, and nailing down EXACTLY how it was different would prove to be difficult, BUT, I think I can do it, but JUST for you guys. :slight_smile: The Canta, almost “conveys” orange-ness to me. This one, seemed to almost be devoid of THAT particular aspect, BUT, had an almost Honeydew Melon aspect to it as well, BUT, merged in with a Cantaloupe. Sounds confusing, right ?? Well, let’s just say, that’s a close comparison to it, and it actually worked, and it worked VERY well, IMO. Imagine a fresh, juicy Cantaloupe in the beginning, with a nice fleshy, sweet body in the middle, and almost kissed by a Honeydew Melon on the finish. Yes, hehe, that’s what I got from this one. Very full at this testing weight, almost mid-level sweet, and a very natural overall taste. It really did border on complex/not complex, as it really did have aspects of multiple melons, all in one. A slight tart-ed-ness gave it just a little punchy-ness, kept it interesting, and as a whole, proved to be fairly unique. Because it straddled multiple melons for my tastes, I could see even more uses for it, which is always welcome on our flavor racks. Nothing off-putting, and again, having never eaten one to directly copare to, this one just plain worked for me. Despite being nicely full at this weight, it still conveyed a slight relaxed-ed-ness, so you would have to use some caution when mixing with stronger, more aggressive flavors. All in, an interestingly fresh melon for me, and it was JUST beneath what I would consider a stand alone / one-shot-ish flavor, but JUST barely. Nicely done by Wonder Flavors, and it was too good, to go much below 9.3/10.

12 Likes

Tested Pancake at 3.2% one week steep and mostly what I’m getting is Salted Butter, and I’m not a “pepper” taster but I’m getting a bit of pepper too… not much “pancake” that I can find, maybe a little down below the Buttered Salt and Pepper :man_shrugging:

10 Likes

Salted butter is what I bake with :smiley:

4 Likes

I use LOL Margarine… but I like pretty much all butter flavor concentrates. I do have issues with A LOT of cake flavors so you can take my thoughts on pancake with a grain of salt (pun intended)
I was so hoping for a pancake… even a buttered pancake would have been great. Dumped it

4 Likes

@Rocky02852 I’m scratching my head trying to remember WHICH Pancake (if any), might be a stand out. I thought I had a very old RFSC PC floating around here somewhere.

4 Likes

Amardeen (Apricot) (WF) 3.5% (4-3-22) – Having never traveled to the Middle East, I had never heard of Amarbeen before, but in short order, it became clear that is was The Original Fruit Roll Up, made from Apricots. I’ve never had it, so I can’t directly compare/contrast, but test it we shall. As a strict “Apricot” this one, would be so-so, as it didn’t present as a full on Apricot, but a medley with apricots. Now maybe this WAS by design, regarding the Amardeen (Apricot Fruit Roll Up) namesake. Although this one danced around a bit, I did continue to get some peachy notes, maybe even a slight hint of apple. It was about a 7 out of 10 on the intensity scale at this testing weight, and I’m not sure that cranking the % would increase the saturation or not. The peach notes I got were yellow peach, and as stated, felt like it had some apricot riding on the top. About mid level sweet, and a little tartness, which DID add to the authenticity OF the apricot. I wish there had been a bit MORE apricot, but the apricot I did get, tasted pretty natural, with no off-putting notes. As a medley it wasn’t bad, I just wouldn’t call it stellar. Not bad, not great, you get the idea. As far as pulling the solo Apricot freight, I don’t think it could pull that off, BUT as a baser/mixer it would work fine. Scoring will be tricky as it’s an Amardden, but (Apricot). Let’s do it this way, as a Apricot Medley, 7.5/10, and as a “strict” Apricot, 5/10.

12 Likes

Soft Candy (Base) (WF) 3.5% (4-3-22) – You never know what you’re going to get with a “base”, and sometimes, well, they’re “basic” LOL. This one however, was quite an interesting one. About two ticks above mid-level sweet, and actually very candy-like, it did indeed have an almost “smoothness” to it. You could say marshamalow-ish, BUT not a marshmallow. Overall it did portray a very neutral “base”, but it FELT like there might just be a smidge of fruit, or vanilla in there, but it was WELL hidden, leaving it nicely IN the “base camp”, pun intended. Plenty present as a “candy” at this weight. Soft MAY imply taffy to many of you, and I didn’t really get any taffy from it, so let’s just leave it at “soft”. Even with above mid level sweet, it did not have the “sugar lips” effect, and there was a slight tartness to it, just on the end, that kept it more than basic. I’ll be reviewing Wonder Flavors Soft Candy Strawberry next, so I am fairly sure, THIS one is in it. All in, with nothing out of place, or off-putting and with a convincing candy like presentation, this one worked, for what it was. I COULD see topping this off with numerous fruits, and pulling it in any direction needed, as it’s neutrality would easily allow that. Easily placing this one @ 8.5/10.

14 Likes

Soft Candy (Pink Strawberry) (WF) 3.5% (4-5-22) – Alright, @TorturedZen is probably going to kill me for NOT getting this one done sooner, BUT, alas, it HAS been tested now. Alright, let’s talk both about this one, and the Soft Candy Base just reviewed. I had been asked numerous times if the Soft Candy Base was like a Starburst, and it was not. Nice, candy, with some softness, but not really Starburst-ish. Now THIS one, is starting to look more LIKE a Starburst. Still not all the way there, BUT, it’s in the ballpark now. To my tastes, by simply adding some Strawberry (Pink) it really seemed to come alive a bit more, in comparison to the base. Not unexpected right ? A base is a base, right ? Alright, the strawberry in this was fairly artificial, and had a nice sweet and tart-ness to it, that KINDA did resemble a SB Starbust. Still at about mid-level sweet, It was fairly relaxed, and was in NO way, Strawberry heavy, but it more blended INTO the Soft Candy, and accentuated it, and improved it. Again, stating the obvious, SB + Base > Base. The ratio from the SB Pink to the Candy Base was about 50/50, so it would need to be pushed up, if you wanted more of a Starburst-y punch. All in, for a “pink” Strawberry Candy, not too bad, and I’ll tick it up + 0.5 from the base, but still with a minor takeoff for a somewhat relaxed presence. 9.0/10.

12 Likes

Cool and thanx! Not upset, and I hope I didn’t give you that impression.

3 Likes

Did you find it? I have it but it’s not used.

2 Likes

Wasn’t that the NF? You mentioned it in the other thread.

4 Likes

Hehe, I’m just messin’ with ya @TorturedZen. Had some RL issues slow me down, but they can’t STOP me !!!

3 Likes