Wonder Flavors (WF) Part II Single Flavor Tests by SessionDrummer -- Mixing NOW!

I still can’t locate it @muth. I was trying to remember the STELLAR Pancake I’d tried forever ago, and I was recently reminded that it was NF.

:slight_smile:

3 Likes

Blackcurrant (WF) 3.5% 4-6-22 – I was curious to get into this one early, as I’d recently tested another great one, and I wanted to see how Wonder Flavors pulled this one off. In a word, they did it EXCELLENTLY !! Some of you may have never eaten or tried a Blackcurrant, and I have a few times, BUT, soo long ago, I couldn’t hope to do a true, direct comparison, BUT, this one really did a good job, with the expect almost grape-like, dark berry-ish, main notes, with an almost hint of cherry, with a somewhat tart finish. Yeah, try saying THAT 4 times fast. What I found most interesting was the almost musky, earth undertones, that (like ONE other I’ve tried) really improved it’s accuracy, and authenticity. It was very nicely full at this weight, and really rumbled in the lower, darker regions, and again, finished with just enough tartness. Very natural tasting, with nothing out of place, and, nothing missing. A very well rounded flavor from WF, and after finishing off the SECOND tester, I did start to perceive just a little acidity, which just drove home, that this one was one of the great ones. Countless uses, countless pairings, and even though I’m not really a yogurt-er, I had the urge to try and toss together a blackcurrant yogurt. Put it in your cart, and thank me later. 9.9/10.

13 Likes

Well, that there is exactly what black currants taste like. Tart., not too sweet. Ive bought the jelly at an Amish shop in Middlebury Indiana a couple times.

4 Likes

@Ken_O_Where what the hell about the Amish. What CAN’T they do good ??

:slight_smile:

It took about 2-3 draws for the Blackcurrant to settle in on the SteamCrave, but after it did, it was smooth sailing. Now that I’m done with the testers, it’s almost like it had a HINT of sugar sand in it. Very hard to pick up on, and almost harder to explain. Dark, authentic, no florals, and realistic.

5 Likes

For realz, i love those folks. I also get an Elderberry Jelly from them, divine and very similar to Blackcurrant, a bit less earthy.

Thanks for the review, bud…

4 Likes

This one I’m definitely keen to try… blackcurrant jubes here I come. Sounds like a perfect pairing for FA King.
You used to be able to get just whole bags of them but seems they only come in a mixed bag now.

3 Likes

How do you compare this one to the SSA (which you also highly rated)?

4 Likes

@HVPGH hehe, I STRUGGLED thinking about that VERY same question throughout this tester.

Sometimes when flavors are almost equally good, yet different, it can be very hard to compare. Having THIS one still floating about the room broadcasting it’s room note, hehe, I think this one, was maybe a bit on the darker side, or at least, it presented that way, and I think it might have had a bit more muskiness. NOW, in the past I would have scoffed at any muskiness, but MF Blueberry changed everything for me in that regard.

Let’s settle on maybe a bit darker berry and slightly more muskiness (good) with the WF. As far as better, hehe, that I’m not sure I could say. I wonder how they would pair now.

5 Likes

They make the best hand scraped hardwood flooring…At one time b4 the chinese started using machines to " distress" hardwood flooring the Amish hand scapped it . It was called homerwood beautiful stuff

5 Likes

I’ll probably stick with the Sobucky then, the only initial drawback I had with it was the hint of musk (inherent in dark berries I know & also a reason I kinda despise natural bilberry). I’ve found with sweetener to my taste and coolant the black currant flavor makes an outstanding iced flavor, although linear in complexity, quite refreshing.

6 Likes

I have yet to find a bilberry that i like.

5 Likes

You’re welcome @Ken_O_Where.

3 Likes

Sugar Pie (WF) 3.5% (4-8-22) – Having DEVOURED many a Pecan Pie, I reflected, that I’ve never actually had a Sugar Pie, but that NEVER stops me. Because of that, I can’t directly compare it to the real pie, BUT, I can tell you what tasted in this one. Immediately out of the gate, you are assaulted with a rich, darker brown sugar, that then seems to slide into an almost custard of sorts, with some slight eggy-ness, and an almost bakery undertone on the finish. The bakery is very light, and hard to really classify, and was really more of an undertone. For those in the know, you already know what constitutes a Sugar Pie. With most centering around Brown Sugar, Eggs, Milk, Flour, and Vanilla, this DID seem pretty accurate to the individual profiles, with the Brown Sugar being the strongest, and the crust/bakery being the lowest. Throughout the tester, I got almost a burnt sugar note, almost brule-ish, but it was not bitter. The more I tested, the more it appeared to complex-ify itself, and that made it a great tester to try and fully identify. At 3.5% it was perfectly strong, and didn’t appear to be ceiling smashing, and nothing off-putting. After the second tester, I began to think of numerous pairings, bases that could be built using this, and the light bakery could easily be enhanced if you needed to. Even with the lower bakery elements, it still did really just ALMOST present as a bakery, but just almost. It fell a few ticks above mid level sweet, which (DUH), was expected, as it was a SUGAR Pie LOL. My final assessment was a Brown Sugar enriched Custard, with some light bakery elements, with almost a touch of burnt/sugar/brule, with only minor takeoffs for a slight twang on the finish, but only slight, which MIGHT be tamed by dropping to 2.75-3.0% Tastily leaving this one at a 9.1/10.

12 Likes

Finally the Sugar Pie! I really enjoyed my tester of it. It really is like a brown sugar custard. Yummy! That’s the one I was really waiting on.

6 Likes

I had expected more Crust/Bakery @Lynda_Marie but at least the crust is very low, and the bakery seems/ed to be more of an undertone that was always there. Not sure about the tippity top of the very finish where I was getting a slight (not sure what to call it), but it was a good one.

4 Likes

The Sugar Pie sounds good but for someone who’s never tasted it what would be some ‘mix with’ recommendations?

5 Likes

I agree, there is definitely a low crust note. I’m glad you got somewhat of a custard from it. I really like it! I enjoyed your review.

3 Likes

In my opinion, (I’ve only been mixing a year or so) but this would be nice as a pie, with darker berries, or a note in a custard. It’s flour, sugar, eggs, milk and brown sugar, in a pie crust, which is very low in this. I’m thinking a cobbler, maybe Apple cobbler, or blackberry cobbler… that’s what I’m going to try to do. I mixed a recipe for a butter pecan sugar pie. I added cookie FA to boost the crust, butter pecan (FW), a dash of Catalan cream and sugar pie. It tastes good but I think I need to use both butter pecan and sugar pie lower.

8 Likes

The most obvious would be custards, and bakeries @TorturedZen. Beyond that, grahams, caramels, sugar cookies, some coconuts, maybe even a mocha or two

7 Likes

Cinnamon , Apple ( flv apple filling ) , Blackberry is working great . Peach or Nectarine and Eggnog . Of course Custard and adding more Pie Crust will help fill out what is their already Caramel Butterscotxh combo maybe even Toffee .

Ill try blueberry this week but it cant be candied imo so ill of course use MF :crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers:

8 Likes