A PUBLIC and Civil Discussion on the Rules

A) I could seriously hug you right now. Thank you for the support.

B) This isn’t a bad option. I mean, I’m not saying we have to be Stepford wives here, but sometimes silence is golden, discretion is the better part of valor, if you can’t say something nice don’t say anything…I can keep going, I’m good with these one-liner things. LoL.

10 Likes

The only thing I’ve ever done with that feature is moving a post to the correct topic and then told the OP I did it and why.
I wouldn’t dream of changing the title of someone else’s post.

6 Likes

To a great degree I agree with you however in today’s world it is also important to understand and recognize “flags” of instability. “Blowing up” as you put it really cannot be justified and in fact is often something deeper such as IED (intermittent explosive disorder) which in itself is not necessarily threatening. If however the threats become specific and last for an extended period of time, especially if generalized rage the incident needs to be turned over to homeland security for analysis. People with the capacity to act this way on a forum also have the capacity to act this way in other arenas. They can be a danger to themselves and others.

3 Likes

Hmmm. I thought about writing a long post with points and explanations. I’ve decided to bring forward a few random points for simple ponderance.

-I wish topics about recipes were more highly discussed rather than talking about anything else.
-for those that didn’t know or care to watch when people were offended and walked away from elr…yes it has happened and the few people that I can recall I deeply miss their knowledge, input, and love for mixing.
-I have been skipping most reviews because my attention span isn’t long enough to get past all the gifs and ramblings. But I do like the posts and enjoy them…but there are so many that I must have missed the inappropriate ones.
-as for the use of language and other remarks. It doesn’t bother me, but I do think we as a community have gotten lax. For those like me who remember the discussion about a new member showing their body part (when showing a picture of their cat). Personally I didn’t enjoy that topic and felt alittle bad for the new member.

I must note I do love everyone and nothing I’ve said is meant to call out anyone or point fingers. We all own this site as a community and just wanted to share what I was thinking about.

9 Likes

I do wish I had a little more knowledge of the history here to speak from. I dunno, maybe it’s best I don’t.

What I hear from you there- and please correct me if I’m wrong- is what myself and a lot of folks here are saying… we don’t need to change any rules. ELR seems to have a good standard of rules in place, and a good staff capable of maintaining standards. What needs to happen is what’s said will happen- enforce the rules already in place. The vast majority will abide and life here will happily proceed forth. Those who cannot will wither and leave, or be asked to do so.

As this comes from the eyes of a relative newcomer, I may be completely off base. But it is the way I see it.

8 Likes

For those who are hiding out in here or who won’t see the top post:

14 Likes

Voted

10 chat limit- can we vote to remove it

2 Likes

LOL I think that’s hardcoded into the software and even if it wasn’t, I don’t think it’d be changed. It’s supposed to be there to prevent people from posting “thanks” or “lol” or “+1” and make them use the likes instead I think. :woman_shrugging:

I mean, I can ask Lars? But maybe you should send me a PM in a few days when things are not so…interesting. :wink:

3 Likes

+1 love that idea…

Couldn’t help myself

Edit: might just do that after the dust settles

1 Like

I would have liked a “speak up and call the manager if it doesn’t work” for the thread derailment poll.

1 Like

I agree entirely. This should never be allowed by regular members that are not staff.

2 Likes

You have to have earned a trust level to be able to do this and 99% of the time it’s only done to be helpful. It makes sense though that if anyone should abuse this, they should lose their trust level. The mislabeling of a topic or putting it in the wrong place is such a minute issue for a mod to have to deal with. It’s also an easy mistake for a newcomer who hasn’t earned the level to change it themselves.

8 Likes

Absolutely. I don’t think I’ve ever seen an instance where the ability was abused (not to say it hasn’t ever happened, but it definitely hasn’t been an issue in general). I’ve changed a few topic titles but if I remember correctly its always been adding [REQ] to a clone request or something similar.

10 Likes

I would like to propose a change we’ve been talking about just this morning. I don’t agree with Regulars being able to change other people’s thread titles. Even though most of the time it’s done out of good intentions, to me that’s editing another member’s words and I don’t believe in that. This should be a moderator function only. My not so humble opinion :slight_smile:

5 Likes

There was a lot of pushback when I originally poster that thought. How about a compromise? Those with the turkey flair?

The point is this has happened and never should have.

It’s a pink pigeon petal :laughing:

3 Likes

I agree 100%… This must have been some sort of software glitch that sneaked through the cracks. I can not believe Lars actually intended that to be the global forum configuration.

Where can we read a documentation page (is there a link for it?) that describes all the privileges of various “badges” and so forth?

I agree. That is censorship and should never be allowed by non-staff.

Is the rare case of abuse a fair trade off for what would be a constant strain on the mods over a relatively minor issue? It’s up to Lars and the mods how to handle this.

3 Likes