A PUBLIC and Civil Discussion on the Rules

I agree entirely. This should never be allowed by regular members that are not staff.

2 Likes

You have to have earned a trust level to be able to do this and 99% of the time itā€™s only done to be helpful. It makes sense though that if anyone should abuse this, they should lose their trust level. The mislabeling of a topic or putting it in the wrong place is such a minute issue for a mod to have to deal with. Itā€™s also an easy mistake for a newcomer who hasnā€™t earned the level to change it themselves.

8 Likes

Absolutely. I donā€™t think Iā€™ve ever seen an instance where the ability was abused (not to say it hasnā€™t ever happened, but it definitely hasnā€™t been an issue in general). Iā€™ve changed a few topic titles but if I remember correctly its always been adding [REQ] to a clone request or something similar.

10 Likes

I would like to propose a change weā€™ve been talking about just this morning. I donā€™t agree with Regulars being able to change other peopleā€™s thread titles. Even though most of the time itā€™s done out of good intentions, to me thatā€™s editing another memberā€™s words and I donā€™t believe in that. This should be a moderator function only. My not so humble opinion :slight_smile:

5 Likes

There was a lot of pushback when I originally poster that thought. How about a compromise? Those with the turkey flair?

The point is this has happened and never should have.

Itā€™s a pink pigeon petal :laughing:

3 Likes

I agree 100%ā€¦ This must have been some sort of software glitch that sneaked through the cracks. I can not believe Lars actually intended that to be the global forum configuration.

Where can we read a documentation page (is there a link for it?) that describes all the privileges of various ā€œbadgesā€ and so forth?

I agree. That is censorship and should never be allowed by non-staff.

Is the rare case of abuse a fair trade off for what would be a constant strain on the mods over a relatively minor issue? Itā€™s up to Lars and the mods how to handle this.

3 Likes

An example was provided earlier. I didnā€™t see how the change done by the other member was an improvement - it just was his wording preference. In that regard, another memberā€™s personal preference is being forced on another. Why? Who elected anyone else to be the grammar police, or syntax police, or I know better than you police? But the fact is, this privilege has been abused.

Why? Why is it important for one member to be allowed to change another memberā€™s words? If it was simple as @VapeyMama states, adding [REQ] or something similar, thatā€™s one thing. But to reword someone elseā€™s title. Why stop there? Why not let people edit other memberā€™s posts? To me thereā€™s zero difference. Like I said, Iā€™ve had people do this. I quietly changed it back to my own wording. Never again. Iā€™ll raise a stank, you can bet on that.

5 Likes

@oldvaporuser @50YearsOfCigars I disagree, itā€™s done very rarely and if trusted members canā€™t be trusted then remove that trust level. Itā€™s a piddly task - the mods have enough on their hands imho.

Iā€™ve done it three times that I can recall, none in a malicious manner.

6 Likes

Geez, I guess I dont get on enough as I have not been displeased with how the forum has been operating since I joined. Good points in here and trademark ELR civility. Good job all.

The one and only thing that completely pisses me off in fora are edits by mods (others can change my thread titles here!?) that do not include verbiage like ā€œedited by moderator forā€¦ā€ that is BS because I feel like in such cases someone else is attempting to hijack my voice. I leave those places and never go back.

My vote is to be respectful to all and communicate a grievance with anyone that offends you, directly. You are an adult, handle your own fuggin business. If you are offendedā€¦YOU are offended. Dont hide behind ā€œthe kidsā€, saving non-merkins, or any other lame excuse. Its fine to tell someone they have offended you imo. Otherwise, how would the offender know? People are all different, so it needs to be communicated. Im not calling any one out, this is my view of the world.

As for the image we project to noobs, if we all continue to respect each other, I dont see that being an issue, but itā€™s not my site and therefore not my call. Lars has considerations of which I am 100.0% ignorant.

In all my time here Ive never found these norms to be burdensome, and at least from my perspective, I didnt think it needed to be said to the great people that visit here (thatā€™s yā€™all). I also love that the mods have not acted as infallible Gods, and Id like that norm to stay as is. I reckon ā€œansweringā€ @JoJoā€™s ā€œpleaā€ for agreed-upon guidelines/enforcement is the best way to prevent devolvement into a much worse, more authoratarian, state than having a few enforced rules.

My hastily written, likely to be edited later, thoughts. Much love.

14 Likes

RESPECT
It all comes down to respect for one another.
Amongst my male peers I can be as lewd as the next guy, in mixed company totally different guy.
For me there is a time and place for particular humour and in a mixed forum I tend to err on the side of caution and decency.

7 Likes

Honestly I donā€™t see the need for members to have the ability to edit other members postsā€¦

and before anyone says itā€™s just the title. The title is still part of the original postā€¦ you canā€™t post a new topic without a titleā€¦ so itā€™s part of the original post.

This should be be a staff only ability - admins, moderators, and possibly mentors and wizards.

1 Like

And if itā€™s so rare, why are others here saying itā€™s allowed under the pretense of taking the burden off moderators? Itā€™s just been 2 mods for the past year or so, and now there are whatā€¦4-5 more? Let the editing of memberā€™s wordsā€¦however innocuous they may beā€¦be the responsibility of moderator staff only and not to just anyone who can use their own personal views as a way of changing anotherā€™s wording. It may seems a silly argument to you, but to me I think itā€™s egregious.

6 Likes

Whateverā€¦

3 Likes

It doesnā€™t irk me either way tbh. Happy to do it if itā€™s helpful, happy to not have the ability and let the mods do it.

But then why have trusted members? Or pink flying pigeon badge holders? Letā€™s all just be members with mods moderating :tada:

/opens can of worms and backs away quietly/

13 Likes

Itā€™s a trade off between the rare case of offending someone and the constant head ache of finding a mod, pestering a mod, making them stop what theyā€™re doing to come make such a minor adjustment.

4 Likes

Another Example:

Added the Acronym :+1: :wink:

1 Like