A PUBLIC and Civil Discussion on the Rules

I think you nailed it there.

4 Likes

Admittedly, I do begin to feel cantankerous with the kids who come in expecting a clone recipe to an obscure juice, giving no description and they made their profile 20 minutes ago. Thatā€™s why I donā€™t answer them. :grin: It would probably be unfriendly if I did.

8 Likes

When I donā€™t feel like I can help, itā€™s better to leave it to those who can.

8 Likes

I have an opinion on this. Since itā€™s not your thread and youā€™re not a moderator, I donā€™t think itā€™s your place to change someone elseā€™s thread title. My opinion is you should suggest it but not just change it. Iā€™ve had people do that to my threads and found it rather rude. Just sayin.

5 Likes

Allowing regular members to edit other memberā€™s thread titles truly baffles me. Iā€™ve never seen that before. That should be a staff function, no doubt. Thatā€™s an oddity and I think that ability should be reconsidered. I understand that it exists to ease the staffā€™s burden but thatā€™s not something the genpop should be able to do. Fortunately it is held back for a while, at least.

*Edit right here real quick. I was wrong in how I worded my thoughts on that first paragraph. The point was how odd it was to see any staff function meted out to the general community. No, I donā€™t see a reason to remove that ability.

I used to get itchy and annoyed when I would see threads started on some of the same topics over and over. As someone whoā€™d been aboard a forum for a long time, it was easy for me to say ā€œFind it yourself, for rackā€™s sake. All you have to do is search!!ā€ But that was easy for me to say. I was staff, Iā€™d been there forever, and I knew about everything I needed to about the forum and the subject.

But I think of it from a noobā€™s perspective. Often lost, often confused, often has no idea their question has been asked before, even to death. I donā€™t get mad anymore, unless itā€™s an obvious or blatant rule violation, or if the noob continues to ask after the answer has been clearly given, even if through a linked thread. And besides, acting gruffly toward a noob is not a way to foster the community spirit we keep talking about, and not a good way to induce more noobs to stay here and grow through their noobidity and become regulars, too.

Iā€™m almost out of pennies but thereā€™s two more. I can probably dig more out of the couch cushions though.

8 Likes

No, youā€™re right. I havenā€™t seen it abused and it has been used responsibly, I wonā€™t argue that at all. Just a really odd thing to see members given editing functions like that.

3 Likes

I edit titles mostly on the clone section. Not sure if the new members see the following when they start a thread asking for a clone.

6 Likes

Maybe a better way for me to say that would be ā€œI suppose that it says a lot about the ā€œregularā€ community that the staff enables an edit function like thatā€. Because yes, there is a lot of potential for abuse there. But youā€™re 100% correct that those with the ability have shown themselves to be quite trustworthy and willing to assist the staff with corrective actions like that. So yeah, I can admit when Iā€™m wrong. As itā€™s handled by the people here, Iā€™m wrong to suggest it be removed.

7 Likes

Iā€™ve seen titles get edited as a way to send a smartass message to the OP. As I said, it happened to me, and I wasnā€™t a noob with a thread title needing correcting. I donā€™t like that just anyone can at any time change a thread title just because theyā€™re ā€œregular.ā€ Of course no one asked me, but thatā€™s the beauty of an opinion. You get to share it whenever you want :slight_smile:

5 Likes

If that was my mantra, Iā€™d only have about a dozen posts here at the forum so far!!! Actually here the title suggests that EVERYONE asked youā€¦

3 Likes

A) I could seriously hug you right now. Thank you for the support.

B) This isnā€™t a bad option. I mean, Iā€™m not saying we have to be Stepford wives here, but sometimes silence is golden, discretion is the better part of valor, if you canā€™t say something nice donā€™t say anythingā€¦I can keep going, Iā€™m good with these one-liner things. LoL.

10 Likes

The only thing Iā€™ve ever done with that feature is moving a post to the correct topic and then told the OP I did it and why.
I wouldnā€™t dream of changing the title of someone elseā€™s post.

6 Likes

To a great degree I agree with you however in todayā€™s world it is also important to understand and recognize ā€œflagsā€ of instability. ā€œBlowing upā€ as you put it really cannot be justified and in fact is often something deeper such as IED (intermittent explosive disorder) which in itself is not necessarily threatening. If however the threats become specific and last for an extended period of time, especially if generalized rage the incident needs to be turned over to homeland security for analysis. People with the capacity to act this way on a forum also have the capacity to act this way in other arenas. They can be a danger to themselves and others.

3 Likes

Hmmm. I thought about writing a long post with points and explanations. Iā€™ve decided to bring forward a few random points for simple ponderance.

-I wish topics about recipes were more highly discussed rather than talking about anything else.
-for those that didnā€™t know or care to watch when people were offended and walked away from elrā€¦yes it has happened and the few people that I can recall I deeply miss their knowledge, input, and love for mixing.
-I have been skipping most reviews because my attention span isnā€™t long enough to get past all the gifs and ramblings. But I do like the posts and enjoy themā€¦but there are so many that I must have missed the inappropriate ones.
-as for the use of language and other remarks. It doesnā€™t bother me, but I do think we as a community have gotten lax. For those like me who remember the discussion about a new member showing their body part (when showing a picture of their cat). Personally I didnā€™t enjoy that topic and felt alittle bad for the new member.

I must note I do love everyone and nothing Iā€™ve said is meant to call out anyone or point fingers. We all own this site as a community and just wanted to share what I was thinking about.

9 Likes

I do wish I had a little more knowledge of the history here to speak from. I dunno, maybe itā€™s best I donā€™t.

What I hear from you there- and please correct me if Iā€™m wrong- is what myself and a lot of folks here are sayingā€¦ we donā€™t need to change any rules. ELR seems to have a good standard of rules in place, and a good staff capable of maintaining standards. What needs to happen is whatā€™s said will happen- enforce the rules already in place. The vast majority will abide and life here will happily proceed forth. Those who cannot will wither and leave, or be asked to do so.

As this comes from the eyes of a relative newcomer, I may be completely off base. But it is the way I see it.

8 Likes

For those who are hiding out in here or who wonā€™t see the top post:

14 Likes

Voted

10 chat limit- can we vote to remove it

2 Likes

LOL I think thatā€™s hardcoded into the software and even if it wasnā€™t, I donā€™t think itā€™d be changed. Itā€™s supposed to be there to prevent people from posting ā€œthanksā€ or ā€œlolā€ or ā€œ+1ā€ and make them use the likes instead I think. :woman_shrugging:

I mean, I can ask Lars? But maybe you should send me a PM in a few days when things are not soā€¦interesting. :wink:

3 Likes

+1 love that ideaā€¦

Couldnā€™t help myself

Edit: might just do that after the dust settles

1 Like

I would have liked a ā€œspeak up and call the manager if it doesnā€™t workā€ for the thread derailment poll.

1 Like