Alien 220 or G-priv 220

yes, with both i get the error “No Such USB Device” - couple of threads on ECF and Reddit on same issue
i’m happy with the mod. i found i can adjust Ohm (which is a wonderful feature) to get TC to work slightly better in terms of pulsing faster once the coil reaches the temp limit - hope the firmware thing gets fixed. just wanted others to be aware of this and we capture it here in the forum to save others the frustration i had when i first got the mod.

If you tried the other software it wont brick it by connecting it and seeing it is recognized - and it shouldn’t brick it uploading the bin file after all it is just dumping the bin file on the device. What the device does with the bin may brick it. (personally I would give it a run but I am a bit reckless like that)

@woftam, i would definitely not do that. if it’s a newer board in the newer mod versions, i wouldn’t burn firmware that was meant for a different chipset to it. bricked so many devices in my life before :slight_smile: - especially with no guarantee that this can be undone. the ISP tool is just too generic and complex. i’ll see if i can use it to peek inside, or maybe download the existing firmware version from the device to the PC as backup, but nothing past that :slight_smile:

Not suggesting that you do dump the firmware on it - I was just saying I am dumb enough that I would :laughing:.

1 Like

I’m on the latest 1.2.2 sounds like yours might need to be sent back & replaced. I had no issues upgrading when I received it.

@woftam, ha! couldn’t hold back the tech curiosity - tried to use the NuMicro ISP tool v2 to upload the 1.2.2 firmware … just wanted to know where this takes me. i can return the device as the seller is a good friend.

after the device is successfully recognized and connected (green) then open the file and try to upload, got an error "File is larger than flash"
the tool reports the flash to be 81K and the file is 194K - so a dead end.

i can live with this, and can still manage to use the mod in regular daily use, i’ll just keep it for now and watch the web if SMOK fixes this in future somehow… edit: i hope it’s not a clone :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well that is interesting - unusual to change a flash size but at least you know it can be connected to a pc and recognized not that it gets you any closer to what you want.

I have both and they are both awesome, but in very different ways, I like to take the Alien out and about with me although the paint is already looking scabby, the G-priv I like to have on my desk at work or at home as it’s a bit bulkier,
But
If someone said…I’m taking one of these away from you…once I stopped crying…I’d prob choose to keep the G-Priv.

3 Likes

I was wanting to get an Alien for my beefier dual coil builds, but the G-Priv was really tempting. Ultimately the smaller size and lower price was a better fit for my needs. I pulled the trigger on a Red Alien (mod only) just now. Looking forward to being able to use my RDA again!.

3 Likes

Hmmmm. I’ve not been interested in much from SMOK for a while, but this one caught my eye.

The Skyhook All In One

2 Likes

it’s on my list :wink: getting asked about it a lot :+1:

2 Likes

Well if you get one please do a review. Do a Almost Brilliant and Blatantly Honest review. :slight_smile: Not that I’ll get one, but I am curious how it would work out. Part of me thinks that built in tank is pure brilliance, and part of me thinks it’s just another thing to break or cause a problem.

2 Likes

Well I did the Ijoy RDA box a while back, same kinda thing, I just couldn’t get decent flavour out of it so although the idea was sound and worked really well you were tied to just that RDTA, there was no way of putting anything else on it…it is a good idea though but like you say,if the tank breaks…useless, and on that one it was a poly tank :confused:

3 Likes

I have a ijoy rdta box on the way by slow boat lol… I hope it’s as nice as some say…

1 Like

i had the same issue on my Alien mod… i changed the usb cable and then connect the mod to pc + keeping the fire button pressed + clicking on Connect several times until it worked . everything was super then

i don’t think the cable is the issue. seems to be the firmware/chip on some of these units. i went back to the shop and they opened another unit that had the same. it’s like a whole lot / shipment they have… maybe pre-release units - i may replace it for something else when i have the time to go again. i also noticed it reads resistance at least 0.05 lower than other mods :frowning: - example, a coil that is 0.75 ohm will show as 0.68 , not fun! the cons getting more than the pros with this one.

do you know if you had the same firmware version VB1.0.2 on yours before the upgrade? if yes then this is good new.

i started to think this version is not upgradable, at least not with the current upgrade tool.

It’s a cool mod, I read today somewhere that there is a firmware update that takes it up to 225w :thumbsup:
@Grubby I meant to tell you that too :+1:

3 Likes

Sweet! It should be on my door step today when I get home lol usps showed it out for delivery today :slight_smile: upgrade is nice but I have no use for200 plus wats lol I rarely make it over 80 with my builds… Iv tried to vape at 100 watts to see what all the hype was… Way too hot… Not a comfy vape for me lol

3 Likes

HI , I can’t remember right now about the version , but I think it was 1.0.2 on it… today i got an gs320 mod which has version : V1.016… wil try to update this one too

1 Like

same here Jayrell…

2 Likes