Anyone put off by the aftertaste / off taste in some Capella flavors?

Having been mixing for a while now, and having amassed a rather large collection of flavorings of numerous brands, trying to put my finger on something. When I first started, it seemed as if Cap was the way to go, went crazy on untested/unmixed (by me) Cap flavors, some big bottles, all the custards, cremes, bakery, etc. Being a huge custard fan, started out mixing (messing up) quite a few custard recipies, VC v.1, v.2, etc. Got tired of dumping juice, started reading up, got better, but there was something in the Cap VC that was just barely in there, but there that turned me off. Almost an aftertaste, maybe even a low flavor note, but always there in the custards, and noticed it in a few others. Not bitter, but heading that direction, and just off putting to me. Canā€™t recall all the flavors Iā€™ve tasted in, but def. the VCā€™s, and just the other day mixed up some VBIC and there it was again.

Anyone else pick up on this, can identify it better, put off by it ??

I donā€™t remember ever getting it in all other brands of VC, and with Cap itā€™s in v1 and v2, as well as some of their other flavors. It sucks because I still have big bottles of VC and a few others, I just canā€™t use because of it. Have used most other brand VCā€™s with no issues.

Anyone have any thoughts ?

2 Likes

Iā€™m curious about your steep time? The VCs need a long steep to perfectionā€¦ Some creams too.

4 Likes

I wish I could have blamed it on short steeps, but Iā€™ve gone 1 week to 3 months, and itā€™s still there. Most of my heavy cream/custards I donā€™t even look at till after a month, and many after 2, with a few that are magic after 3.

I may have to break out the tester hat (once I get done with these 16 from RF) and try to see more closely which ones itā€™s in. Itā€™s def. a Cap thing, and I have loads of Caps I love, just not the ones with this ā€œthing/tasteā€. Could also just be a preference thing as well. Not sure. Trolling for answers/feedback.

3 Likes

3 months is more than enough steep. Iā€™ve used VC1 up 8% with no ill side flavors. VC just might not be for you.

3 Likes

Well for me, it seems to be localized to the Cap VC. Currently swimming in TPA VC with cremes, and they are rocking the house, canā€™t stop vaping them. Just on a lark, re-visited the Cap and I remembered my past issues. Think I might mix up some Grants, let is super steep and re-evaluateā€¦

1 Like

I donā€™t taste any off-flavours in capella concentrates myself, but Iā€™ve heard complaints before. What I have run into, though, is an illusion off-flavour acquired through association. For instance, a mix you tried went terribly wrong and tasted aweful and now everytime you taste that flavouring you think of that botched mix, and dislike the taste. You can almost taste something off, a flavour ā€œwraithā€ so to speak that haunts you, personally :laughing: I got that with practically all cinnamon flavours since I botched quite a few in the beginning.

11 Likes

Interesting idea, the Flavour Wraith. I guess anythingā€™s possible. Iā€™ll continue to re-evaluate. Obviously it could simply be a personal taste issue for me with whatever the flavor is they add to some of their flavors. Figured if I found a few others, it would add credence. Thanks @Pro_Vapes and @Naseschwarz

1 Like

I get no off taste in CAP VC at all. Itā€™s one of my favorite flavors that Iā€™ve been using atm.

3 Likes

I have a similar issue when I use funnel cake and churro I get an off taste like play dohā€™ and an oily effect in the mouthfeel itā€™s super gross so iā€™ve limited them to just mixer at around 1-2%

Vc and VBIC both def have a similar something way off in the background note in them that is the same so I can see what your getting at. I have a hard time using Vc2 now all I really can think about is puke everytime so if I canā€™t bury it in a recipe it doesnā€™t get vaped.

4 Likes

@Amy2 thank God, you start asking the voices in your head questions hehe. Love many Cap flavors, but I find it hard to explain exactly what ā€œitā€ is. Aftertaste, undertaste, subnote(s), hard to explain. Thank you.

2 Likes

If memory servesā€¦ in the V2 line they subbed butyric acid for the acetoin (for buttery creamyness). Butyric acid in concentrated form is the smell of vomit ā€¦also a core natural flavor in actual butter/yogurt/cheese/dairy. Solution? use V1 :grinning:

4 Likes

Itā€™s that almost plastic-like Flavor and smell, I smell and taste it too. It is hard to describe, but I can smell and taste in Vanilla Custard, Cake Batter, French Vanilla. Those are the only ones for me, I think, but I know what you mean. Must be different for some people because my husband canā€™t smell or taste it, but I certainly can. I donā€™t mind it though.

2 Likes

im the complete opposite i cant stand tpa Vanilla Custard and love caps i get a pepper taste from tpa VBIC unless its used under 1pct but even then i need to steep for a long time where caps VBIC is all good im not a fan of VCV2 either lol good luck would love to know what you find im wondering which sweet cream do you prefer Cap or Tpa

1 Like

Exactly why I canā€™t do custard at all, or ranch dressing for that matter. I always get that little voice in the back of my mind that says ā€œpukeā€

2 Likes
2 Likes

Well, this is where it will probably get more confusing lol. I find that tpa sweet cream smells terrible, but I use it in cream/custards and itā€™s tollerable after it steeps. I use the DX version, and boy does it smell like yuck out of the bottle. CAP sweet cream smells much better to me out of the bottle. More confusing, right ??

I know the BA puke smell, but I donā€™t think thatā€™s what Iā€™m getting. Itā€™s like an off putting twang at the end. Ill try and check more CAP tonight and narrow down, but thus far I get it from at least the VC, VBIC, and the FV from CAP.

1 Like

Iā€™m narrowing it down. In my case at least, it appears to be tied to Capā€™s Vanilla. VC, FV, VBIC, VCC. Seems like that might be it, will test more later ā€¦

Way back when I was in school, we did an experiment in Biology class. It involved testing a flavour, phenylalanine, present in cucmerbers, that only certain people can ā€˜tasteā€™ -8-10% of populace!!
Could it be a similar, one-in-ten type thingy?

2 Likes

well then it cant be the diacytel or the BA im wondering about other Diketones that maybe these all have like Acetoin ??? have you looked these up and checked what the common thing in them is

1 Like

thatā€™s the problem, not all companies list total ingredient breakdowns like TPA does

4 Likes