Anyone put off by the aftertaste / off taste in some Capella flavors?

@Amy2 thank God, you start asking the voices in your head questions hehe. Love many Cap flavors, but I find it hard to explain exactly what “it” is. Aftertaste, undertaste, subnote(s), hard to explain. Thank you.

2 Likes

If memory serves… in the V2 line they subbed butyric acid for the acetoin (for buttery creamyness). Butyric acid in concentrated form is the smell of vomit …also a core natural flavor in actual butter/yogurt/cheese/dairy. Solution? use V1 :grinning:

4 Likes

It’s that almost plastic-like Flavor and smell, I smell and taste it too. It is hard to describe, but I can smell and taste in Vanilla Custard, Cake Batter, French Vanilla. Those are the only ones for me, I think, but I know what you mean. Must be different for some people because my husband can’t smell or taste it, but I certainly can. I don’t mind it though.

2 Likes

im the complete opposite i cant stand tpa Vanilla Custard and love caps i get a pepper taste from tpa VBIC unless its used under 1pct but even then i need to steep for a long time where caps VBIC is all good im not a fan of VCV2 either lol good luck would love to know what you find im wondering which sweet cream do you prefer Cap or Tpa

1 Like

Exactly why I can’t do custard at all, or ranch dressing for that matter. I always get that little voice in the back of my mind that says “puke”

2 Likes
2 Likes

Well, this is where it will probably get more confusing lol. I find that tpa sweet cream smells terrible, but I use it in cream/custards and it’s tollerable after it steeps. I use the DX version, and boy does it smell like yuck out of the bottle. CAP sweet cream smells much better to me out of the bottle. More confusing, right ??

I know the BA puke smell, but I don’t think that’s what I’m getting. It’s like an off putting twang at the end. Ill try and check more CAP tonight and narrow down, but thus far I get it from at least the VC, VBIC, and the FV from CAP.

1 Like

I’m narrowing it down. In my case at least, it appears to be tied to Cap’s Vanilla. VC, FV, VBIC, VCC. Seems like that might be it, will test more later …

Way back when I was in school, we did an experiment in Biology class. It involved testing a flavour, phenylalanine, present in cucmerbers, that only certain people can ‘taste’ -8-10% of populace!!
Could it be a similar, one-in-ten type thingy?

2 Likes

well then it cant be the diacytel or the BA im wondering about other Diketones that maybe these all have like Acetoin ??? have you looked these up and checked what the common thing in them is

1 Like

that’s the problem, not all companies list total ingredient breakdowns like TPA does

4 Likes

I have had an off taste bad aftertaste experience with one of Capella’s flavorings. Peanut Butter V2, it tasted like burning tires extinguished with piss and vomit. It made me piss myself and vomit, eeewwww…

5 Likes

I threw away all my V2s aka safer flavor choices. When I bought them I thought they were new improved versions. IMO these are knockoffs of some flavors that are already subpar to a lot of premiums.

5 Likes

I’ve looked at what’s in some of TPA concentrates and for me it’s like it’s written in Chinese. I’m no chemist and I have no understanding what’s in them. If someone can break it it down to me in plain english I’d surely appreciate it. The one and only judgement I can make is how it taste to me. In comparison to 90% of other vendors offerings I’ve tried, they fail to deliver a better option for me.

2 Likes

The Good Scents Company has a pretty good description/chemical makeup of each ingredient. If you search Furfural for example, scroll down the list on a Google Search and the Good Scents Company will list the uses for a certain ingredient and how it is commonly used and what it is derived from.

http://www.thegoodscentscompany.com/data/rw1008441.html

5 Likes

I took a brief look around and is this info from a flavor or safety aspect? This seems to be about manufactured flavors/scents rather than extracts and piecing these individual chemicals to a single flavor is a daunting task. I’m sure some are really particular about what they are ingesting, but so far my interest has been mostly about how a flavor taste or vapes.

You are definitely viewing flavors from a level I know nothing about. I can appreciate TPA’s transparency, but for me, did they get the flavor profile right? I don’t like a lot of their concentrates and they don’t fit the flavor profile that’s appealing to me. Oh how I wish they did because it would save me a ton of $$$. A lot of their flavors taste generic and are far from center of what I expect that flavor to be.

3 Likes

Let me explain better, I don’t really mind what’s in the concentrates, it doesn’t bother me. The only reason I ever started looking at the TPA Ingredient list was because I found there was a common taste in some of the concentrates I didn’t like, so I just started using the ingredient list when buying flavors to make sure the flavor I was going to buy didn’t have that certain ingredient in it. I only used Good Scents because it narrowed down the flavor description a little better for me.

2 Likes

I only used Good Scents to better describe the flavor that each ingredient is supposed to bring to the table, as far as safety info, I didn’t use it for that.

3 Likes

I can understand that.

1 Like

Sure wish I could find out what Cap uses in their Vanilla mixes…

1 Like