Changing the name of our company, looking for suggestions and comments

True. But at the same time, you alienate the more reserved (and mature) segment, the same way that “zombie juice” or “Satan’s sauce” alienates the religious…

Good marketing never alienates potential audience.

4 Likes

I think most would agree with you.

5 Likes

Not sure about the demography about the vaping community as whole, but I know that many vapers are former smokers. Smokers are risk takers in general. At 58 y/o I think I am pretty mature, even reserved, while not actively into voyeurism I don’t shy away from it when presented. I do agree that many evil type themes of anything would definitely alienate many.
But you know what they say, sex sells.

5 Likes

Hence pin-up vapes popularity, even though their juices are usually one shots and WAY overpowering. It gets guys to buy at least once.
I’m guilty of getting a bottle, but it was free from one of my best friends vape shop (he buys from us way more than others). I can’t remember the name, but I remember him saying it was $18.50 retail. Not worth it. Presentation was good, the added tank band was an excellent way to get someone to buy at least one.
Their only drawbacks as far as presentation goes, was the high price and low quality juice. You wouldn’t know about the latter until you already purchased it.

3 Likes

Well, in this case (his location, and intended audience) the demographics are more important (and notably a bit narrowed) than if he was targeting a nationally marketed brand.

Being in the heart of the Bible belt, where blue laws run rampant (where alcohol has even more restrictive times of sale, locations of sale, and even complete “dry counties” = modern day prohibition) then the idea of “smokers being risk takers” goes right out the window. Simply because it was “grandfathered in”. (You could literally hear “Hell! My grandpappy smoked for 80+ years, and he never…blah blah blah”) It’s a niche environment with a unique set of obstacles to navigate. :wink:

Almost one of those “you just have to have lived there” to fully appreciate what he’s up against type of things. Lol

No “argument” with your assessment otherwise (meaning, most other parts of the country -excluding Utah) lol!

3 Likes

Exactly! We have a broad range of customers. I even have a lady in her 80’s who loves our “puddin’ on the ritz”, it’s a banana pudding custard.
I would hate to lose her business because of a name (she vapes 60mls a week!).
We want to keep it too as broad an audience as possible. That’s why we named it the same as a nickname given to me by some vape shops, before I went public with our juices.

3 Likes

You hit it exactly! I hear that “grandma/grandpa smoked their whole life, since they were 10-15 years old, and lived to be 90 something line every week. It’s a pretty hard place for vaping. I still get lines like” it’ll give you pneumonia! God didn’t mean for man to inhale water or he woulda given him gills" and my favorite “it’ll give you lung cancer, no one knows what’s in that stuff! Hell, even the one they claim has no nicotine in it, does! Damn government sponsored population control”. Best not to argue with these types. I tried once, while explaining that I am the one who makes the juice and could give them a molecular break down of ALL the components. It turned into an argument that resulted in being almost arrested for attempted assault (he was a gun toting ball of fury. He placed his hand on his holster, one of the new molded types, so I slapped his hand off it. I told him that if he can’t discuss things calmly without drawing down on me, I suggest we take it to the range where I can be on equal footing. About that time ohatchee police showed up. I’m not that good with pistols, but give me a rifle and I’ll hit any target you setup out too 150 yards.)
I kid you not.
I hear some really far flung ideas.

4 Likes

QFT. nods knowing all too well :smile:

3 Likes

I think you mean “red” law. It’s a deeply conservative republican area. DEEPLY CONSERVATIVE.
It can be hard living with some of their idealism at times.
I like to think I’m more of a moderate to progressive with no defining party.
Totally true about the alcohol. They just now started sales on Sunday, but just near the talladega race track. Which there is a race today. I won’t be going out until Tuesday. It’s that bad.
Anyone who is a race fan, let me know and we can house you for the race weekend. They inflate prices the week before and after. I don’t. A friend is a friend, thus gets to stay free. We’re 15 miles from the track.

5 Likes

Nascar is racing at Talladega today, sweet. My DVR is recording it. Perfect background TV while I play my video game and kill alien battleships :boom::boom::boom::rocket::wine_glass::wine_glass::wine_glass:

3 Likes

@Flavologist thanks for not taking umbrage.

I have thought about adding color to the juices, but like many, I’m kinda apposed to using coloring, simply because I consider it an unneeded ingredient.

Absolutely not.
The color of the contents is not at question, it is really just the label.
While I too do not like garish colors, something strong even just black to make it stand out…
Think of Cadbury purple, immediately recognizable. Products that you recognize by the packaging.
The plastic bottles are great, I use them as well, and they are well received by my customers.
Even the clear label would work with bold type and logo. Something to draw the eye.

3 Likes

Chelsea Grin Juice , same band genre as Cannibal Corpse

Monster Voodoo
Blowing O’s
Oblivion Antidote

3 Likes

Thank you for the suggestions. I have a supplier for colored glass bottles, but have had little luck finding bulk colored ldpe (plastic) bottles. Do you have any leads in that direction?
I love the color you chose! One of my favorites.
I’ll definitely be asking for some help with the label. I lack any kind of flair with label art.
I’m a simple man, thus went with a simple label. :grin:

2 Likes

I see you got the reference! Not many remember them. I am a metal head from way back in the beginning days. Not many full on metal (the way I like it!) bands that I haven’t given an ear too.
Thank you, you made my day!

3 Likes

“The Flavologists” is most definitely a quality name. However I cant say the same for your juice, but thats only because I havent tried it. If I was buying… in a shop or on line, what do you think would convince me to buy yours over the hundreds if not thousands of others I’m faced with?
At this point, I’ll share my personal experience. I’m casting my mind back to when I very first started vaping. I didnt have a clue about any of it. I bought an ego twist thing with a shitty cartomizer & some even shittier juice from the local tobacconist & quickly realized “vaping had to be better than that”. Now, the hardware fix is another story, but the juice fix?..
I got on line & somehow found a company called Giant Vapes. Remember, I know NOTHING at this point… well, almost. I knew I wanted tobacco coz I was getting off the stinkies, but that was it. I was faced with thousands of choices, but ended up buying 2 - the first was Enterprise by Rocket Sheep. It was the profile description that mainly sold me on that, but it was also the simple design of the label combined with the unique shape of the bottle that reflected the perceived qualities described in the profile that sealed the deal. The second was one I had absolutely no intention of looking for, let-alone buying because it wasnt tobacco, but again, its profile description was so completely enticing, the packaging was first class, And the price? well, it was so freaking expensive, I thought it just had to be good. It was Castle Long. I was not in any way disappointed with either of my choices.
So, the moral of the story… the profile description & packaging of your products (including your company logo) need to reflect the first class quality of your product. Good copy & design are incredibly powerful tools - they make people buy things they never new they wanted.

Personally, I’d be careful here… it doesnt matter what you do… you wont please everybody & in trying to do so, mediocrity will result. Instead, talk to a graphic designer who shares your vision - & preferably one who vapes!

5 Likes

Thank you for the suggestions. I happen to know a couple of graphic designers. I don’t know if they vape, but heck, at this point I will supply them for a year with gear and juice if they can improve our product image.
Appreciate it. :grin:

3 Likes

After talking it over with my wife, we are going to keep the original name of Flavologist (although I was really trying for hillbilly creek water, again).
I want to thank you all for the great suggestions and support. We will be looking at everything you’ve all suggested.
I’ll make sure to post anything we come up with too get your input and feedback.
A lot of these names would be make great juice names, except the DDD, that one might make a great gag, literally, gift.
I really appreciate everyone who gave input or advice. This is one of the many reasons I love this group.

9 Likes

I think that’s the right move my friend @Flavologist, your name is just fine. Spruce up your labels and juice names (giving each flavor a catchy-unique name making sure to use different eye catching fonts for each) and offer something special. Maybe a small 10 or 15ml complementary juice similar the the main attraction the customer is buying which lends 2 pros in that scenario. 1) that’s very different and nobody does it, setting your product aside from all as opposed to a few. Enticing the potential buyer because hey, who doesn’t love free shit lol. 2) you’re offering a sneak peak at a similar flavor type to the one your customer is purchasing and could potentially lead to a repeat purchase. Not to mention, if they’re a fan of both u could be looking at a multi-flavor purchase! :wink: Just a suggestion, but it would be a small investment (secondary 15ml bottles/labels/actual product) which could yield good returns. In short, glad you’re keeping the name and wish u all the luck in the naming/labeling journey ahead of u!:+1:t2::+1:t2:

6 Likes

Mongs mixes, juice for da boyz, sex sauce all these pretty much sum up the UK demographic…

2 Likes

I never got the chance to see Cannibal corpse live but I did see Chris Barnes when he went on to Six feet under, at a hole in the wall bar. Tickets were dirt cheap and no one asked for ID. There was probably only 50-60 people so naturally it was just a giant pit directly in front of the stage (if you could call it that.) I got launched into him he caught/pushed me by the head back out there without missing a beat. I still have the report card the band signed, it was the only paper I had. The dudes even checked the grades and told me I could be doing better and quietly asked how the hell I got in. Chris Barnes immediately hit the tour bus so the Autograph I really wanted was never signed. It was a hell of a show though, one I’ll never forget!

5 Likes