DIY Flavor Shack (DIYFS) Flavor Tasting Notes

OMG This Cookie is DELICIOUS !!!

I know I’m repeating here, but I’m about vaped out of the little teeny weeny bottle I ordered, and I’m buying a JUG of this stuff. I had to post because I finally let me wife try it, and this is a DIRECT QUOTE from one minute ago. “Are you concerned that this might be provoking your hunger hormones” !!!

You see, THERE it is. DELICIOUS !!!

14 Likes

I was just perusing what flavors were new at diy vapor supply and noticed they now carry diyfs! So, finally another place to get Holy Vanilla. Gonna guess theyll be in regular squeeze drop bottles too. $5 for 10ml and $10 for 30ml. Def looking forward to try some of these others based on the notes here too, good work! Thanks!

Looks to be 50 flavors
https://www.diyvaporsupply.com/brands/Flavor-Shack.html?sort=alphaasc

4 Likes

@netweight I actually just placed a big order with them, the ONLY issue I had, was they didn’t carry the COOKIE !!! I also found they DID carry a Kookie Dough, but it wasn’t listed on the DIYFS site ?? I ordered it anyway LOL.

3 Likes

Damn, that sucks. 50 friggin flavors but missed an important one. They seem to listen to the customers though, maybe theyll get it in stock and soon. I hope so, gotta try it!

3 Likes

Chocolate Marshmallow Graham Cookie (DIYFS) 8% (6-27-18) – Because of my love for DIYFS Cookie and S’mores in general this one I had to try. Let’s start out by saying if you love the Cookie, you WILL love this one. If you read my review on the Cookie this will make more sense. The beloved cookie is in here, BUT, with some minor yet distinct differences. The fresh buttery bakery-ness is much lower in this mix, which is actually good. Almost even with the cookie, is a very nice graham which I still cannot place as a particular vendor’s. Sometimes I would get a slight hint of coconut finish, other times not, so it’s very low. The chocolate and marshmallow are lower in the mix than the cookie or graham, which again, really works. It’s like a hint of chocolate, with some marshmallow mouthfeel and sweetness but not a identifiable marshmallow taste. In summary, this one was really great, and wow’d me like the cookie, minus some of the buttery bakery notes, with a great mid-strong graham element, finishing with a good marshmallow and a hint of chocolate. Very even, fairly sweet, great mouthfeel, and despite being somewhat of a coil gunker JUST like the cookie, it’s too damn good to complain about it. 9.6/10.

Respect to @Beaufort_Batches for the OP.

11 Likes

Cookie

So the temptation was very high on this one, since I am still looking for a good cookie flavor/base. Unfortunately like so many others, this one did also not make the cut.

Tested it on different setups and different strengths (1-10% due to the higher recommendations above) as well as after 24hrs, 3 days, 7 days, 14 days and 21 days.

It smells unbelievably great when vaped, just like a freshly made cookie…but I wish it would taste like it smells :frowning:

At 2% I get a sweet grainy sugary dough of some kind, not very distinctive.
At 2.5-4% I get a slight faint and mild dough note, sweet and very oily/buttery, with hints of almond extract.
At 4.5 - 6% There’s still no cookie, its a dough of some kind, grainy sugary texture with notes of almond extract and hazelnut as well as vanilla nuances, that are very noticeable and a bit heavy handed.

At 6.25% - 10% it kinda stays the same actually, the flavor doesn’t get much more potent from here, only thing that increases is the butter/oilyness.

Overall: If you make cookies/pastries/pies at home, and after you removed the dough from the cutting board, there’s this slight film/residue of butter/margarine, white sugar crystals and a bit of dough left. If you pick that up with your finger and eat it, that’s what I get. It’s not cookie or cookie dough, which would have been great, unfortunately at this point it could be any dough. Its very vanilla prominent and heavy on the butter, giving it a very oily/greasy texture.

I do like using the flavor but not for what it was intended, it’s great for the bottom or too fill out any other bakery/dough/cookie recipe, were it becomes the secondary profile. The almond & hazelnut note I was getting does stick around, but it’s very faint and could be easily mistaken for chocolate. I didn’t noticed actual chocolate, but I am also not sure if it was supposed to be a chocolate chip cookie, since it only says cookie.

Percentage Suggestion (subjective): SFT 4-6%, 2-3% in mixes, 0.75 - 1.8% as accent.

10 Likes

Cherry (DIYFS) 8% (06-30-18) – Thus far, found DIYFS does a lot of things right, but what about the Cherry ?? Well not so much. Fairly dark in color, and did have some hints of cherry in it, but whatever cherry there was, was overshadowed by some short of a malty-ish, chocolate-ish note. There was no medicine, or perfume notes which was good, but the overpowering main note kind of lingered in the nose on exhale, and it just did this one in for me. If it had been a clear chocolate cherry, that would have been one thing, but it’s just not, and whatever surviving cherry notes remained were so lost in the mix, little to no value as a cherry IMO. 1.5/10.

12 Likes

Angel Food Cake (DIYFS) 8% (6-30-18) – It’s starting to seem like DIYFS really does cookies/cakes/pastries right, and this is no exception to that. Very light, and full (yes, light and full), fluffy Angel Food Cake here people. Smelled exactly like it before mixing, improved after steeping, and right out of the tank. It is spot on IMO. What I did notice at this percentage is it was maybe at or over the correct usage limit. Not cloying, but just felt like maybe it was a bit high. Lucky for me, I could test that on the spot. Had the Steam Crave v.1 full @ 3ml, poured out maybe 1/3 of that, topped off with some PG, shook up, and continued. At the lower level the upper limit-ish taste went away, but the buttery light Angel Food Cake remained. This one appears to benefit a bit lower than 8%, perhaps 4-5% might be better. All in all, can’t find fault with this one at all. 9.5/10

12 Likes

Raspberry Cookie (DIYFS) 8% (06-30-18) – First things first, this one had a fairly dark purple/pink color. Natural, artificial ?? Not sure. The raspberry in this was pretty good, with a nice dark-ish raspberry flavor, somewhat sweet, with a tad of tart, but not much. Very forward in the mix as expected, but not overpowering or cloying. The bakery element followed it nicely, but somewhat behind the raspberry. This could be said to be the opposite of the DIYFS Bueberry Muffin wherein the two were move evenly mixed. This doesn’t make this bad, just as in comparison between the two. Because the cookie is lower in the mix, it is harder to try and pick out elements of it, but more that it is just present in the mix. Overall the mix is quite good, with nothing off putting or overly artificial tasting, with a good amount of sweetness. With the coloring issue aside, rating it a solid 7/10 for flavorings.

11 Likes

Apple Crumble (DIYFS) 8% (06-30-18) – This one, proved to be a very interesting one. The first thing that hit me was a very bright apple, almost Fuji like, followed up by a nice crumble blanket that it was wrapped in. The apple was bright and tart-ish, not like my current fav FLV Apple Filling which has a darker/fuller/richer overall taste. Granted one is a apple filling, and this an Apple Crumble, just for comparison. They did a good job NOT making a crust element, but actually more of a crumble, which was impressive. There is a slight amount of cinn/spice, but again, very low, not like FLV Apple Filling where it is far more predominant. The apple and crumble are evenly mixed, with a very satisfying overall feel and vape. For my personal preferences, not sure if the brighter Fuji like apple does it as much justice as it deserves. Not bad in any way, maybe not my preference. After continued vaping, does seem to be somewhat of a cream element in there, not really ice cream-ish, but in that area, which helps to round it out. Your preference may vary, but leaving it at a 7/10.

12 Likes

Peanut Butter Expert (DIYFS) 4% (06-30-18) – Perhaps I should have listened to @Beaufort_Batches as this one @ 4% had a rather overpowering burnt note to it. Peanuts were in there, some sweet, and some creaminess, but I couldn’t shake the burnt note on this one. Seeing his much lower numbers, this must be the cause. I will have to re-test this one at much lower than 4% to see what changes. At 4% however, it would rate a 2/10. Beaufort nailed the taste below.

11 Likes

@SessionDrummer welp, of course i come here AFTER i put a big order in, lol. I gotttta try that smores one ! Also, i finally did order that expert pb and will def keep it low. Thx for the heads up

3 Likes

Orange Cream (DIYFS) 8% (7-01-18) – 2 hours sleep after being up for 26 hours for the Tesla, Joan Jett, Styx concert, so bear with me hehe. OK, is there any way an Orange Cream could compete with TPA’s ?? Kinda. Is it orangey and creamy ?? Yes. Overall the mix was good with elements of both, but not 100% sure on the orange. Will be hard to explain, but there was an overtone on this one, and not sure if it was the orange or the cream (or both) that left me wanting. Wasn’t terrible, but it was there all throughout. I think TPA wins on this one for a creamier, better orange. This one doesn’t race to the bottom of the pack, just not the top. Evenly mixed, good sweetness, just that darned undertone that lingered. Your own mixing/testing mileage will vary, so try it and decide for yourself. Will leave it at 6.5/10.

9 Likes

how did this steep ? could this be a good flavor in a choco chip cookie custard say

DIYFS cookie ???
Cap custard v1 4%
MF dark choco 0.6 %
Lor Cheescake 2%

of course this would be a first version type thing but id really like to make this type of vape. I am really looking for the cookie part bc the choco and custard parts ill have no problem creating

2 Likes

WARNING… SIDETRACKED

Just food for thought… I find it to be very helpful to look at the actual food recipe to find exactly what’s in it. Maybe this recipe will help you in your quest.

1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup granulated sugar
3.4 oz. package vanilla instant pudding mix
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips

EDIT Just to elaborate a bit further…

When viewing flavor notes I look for what’s missing from the notes of a particular flavor. I’ll sometimes add what’s not mentioned from the notes to make that flavor balance with the food recipe.

I hope you find this helpful.

6 Likes

Retested the DIYFS cookie yesterday and again right now. At 5% the flavor has held up well at 8week steep . The vanilla has held strong and actually improved, it dominates the inhale, the “peanut” note has not steeped out and i agree with @eStorm that it could be interpreted as an almond on the front and an almost hazlenutesqueness lol The cookie aspect has lost that fresh baked taste and what remains is a decent medium dark cookie note, though it is overshadowed heavily by the nuttiness and shows up only on the tail end of the exhale. I think this flavor is better suited to a peanut butter cookie profile or even a biscotti. Have not tested in a mix as of yet.

6 Likes

ty for updating

4 Likes

Im guessing you are not encouraged by the review :-/ my go to for a plain cookie flavor remains german flavors cookie.

5 Likes

OR, plan on using it on/before the 1 month mark? :wink:
Still, very much appreciate the update with useful/helpful info! And the bonus tidbit about GF cookie!

BTW, it’s a “rare bird” around my house that a mix makes it to the 8 week mark. :laughing:

7 Likes

not to purchase but thats what i needed to know , so i ty for that im going to work on a cookie base then add the other stuff later , this is something that will be like thw pop deez thing that took me 30+ versions until i was happy enough to decide i dont ever have to buy the original again lol

4 Likes