Drunken Custard - Barrel and Wood Steeping Methods

@VapeyMama that (coffee beans) might be a good test for PDO/VaporBase

3 Likes

@therabidweasel makes his own vanilla flavoring using vanilla beans.

Psst! I know what you are thinkingā€¦ I have tried to picture it too! The Weasel, standing over a cutting board, foaming at the mouth and chopping vanilla beans. But he is an aficionado of the vanilla bean and coffee bean I think. He can help ya out with that. Just donā€™t stand too close to him or he will bite.

6 Likes

:joy: oh wow, yeah thatā€™s QUITE the visualā€¦!

3 Likes

Oh wow! What a great idea!

1 Like

That might be ā€œtheā€ way to get a really good coffee flavor in vapor that doesnā€™t involve flavor compounds none of these companies can get right. My husband has been ordering a lot of those exotic blend beans from master roasters around the countryā€¦ oh man that gives me an idea. (you guys are killing me with this stuff today) @Ken_O_Whereā€¦ what do you think about floating those oak chips or beans in some kind of netting? Cheese cloth might leave a fiber residue, right?

3 Likes

Well I made this today because I happened to stumble across it: http://www.reddit.com/r/DIY_eJuice/comments/2y0u99/i_did_my_first_coffee_flavor_extract_last_night/
But Iā€™m definitely gonna throw a few coffee beans in with something now and see how that works! I think Iā€™ll try it with my ā€œVienna Catalanā€ mix, 2% each of FA Vienna cream and Catalan cream, and then stash it away for a while. Now Iā€™m excited!

1 Like

Me too! Thank you!

1 Like

There is a really good discussion on here about coffee extraction etc. I am way to lazy and busy right now to look.

4 Likes

With the vanilla beans, Ishake it each night for about 3 weeks. Then iIlet it sit a week minimum and decant off the top 50% then refill. I am only worried about fibers and particulate combusting on my coils. There is so much less than a smell of burning tobacco even in a 250ml batch of juice, itā€™sa non-issue to me.

I roast coffee; it is a holy bean. My vape habit is a joke in comparison.

4 Likes

If you like coffee, single-origin vanilla is right up your alley. Try some papua, itā€™s as unique of a vanilla as a coffee.

2 Likes

I make real vanilla bean custard (food) but I just get beans from local high-end grocery. You extract in grain alcohol?

They seem to be quite clean and not leaving any floaties thus far. If they do ill run it through a natural coffee filter.

1 Like

Juststraight pg 10 chars

1 Like

Thanks so much, I donā€™t want to stay off-topic because this is a great thread. I make everything from scratch. My whole life is DIY. Coffee and Vanilla beans are triggering my obsessive bone. Iā€™ve tried a ton of Coffee ejuice and only liked one. Someone offered me $50 for my 10 year old espresso machine during my move and I acceptedā€¦ now I need to join the Vanilla Bean Forum and the Barista Forum :wink:

1 Like

While the barrel is really awesome. I took a small amount of oak slivers and chips and steeped in Vodka in a sealed container for 30 minutes in my UC. Talk about true oak flavor. That was amazing. as soon as evaporates down a little Iā€™m gonna add some VG and see how it does.

3 Likes

Glad to see you arenā€™t dead! LOL.

1 Like

Charring the oak must add hundreds of complex chemicals to affect the flavor. googling for ā€œFuranoidsā€ of course takes me to a coffee roasting siteā€¦ very likely similar to charring oak ā€¦and for me one more slippery step down that rabbit hole

3 Likes

That was mentioned when I went to Wild Turkey and Jack Daniels distilleries, and why I bought the barrel I did instead of one of the others I found.

1 Like

Just donā€™t put any Oak Pellets in your coffee grinder, that may end up badā€¦:grimacing:

1 Like

We should have the guy from ā€œWill it Blendā€ test that out. :grinning:

3 Likes