Fix My Mix - Bring your trouble recipes here!

Is the blueberry the trouble area here? I mean does the rest of the juice have the flavor you’re looking for? I know blueberry is one of those flavors that can test your patience, but there may be things that can help.

2 Likes

The whole mix just comes out weak. This is an ongoing problem with a lot of my mixes. They taste phenomenal (to me anyways) when i taste the juice, but the flavour doesnt seem to carry well.

I think there’s something fundamentally wrong with how I develop my blends. Kind of hit and miss, and I should be having a lot more success with my experience. I understand the flavours I use, or at least I think I do lol.

2 Likes

It’s late here and I’m about to go into standby mode till the morning. I have a feeling you already know all this stuff, but I’m going to throw it out there anyway. If the juice tastes good on the finger test, chances are it will be good as a vape. So I’m interested in hearing what you’re vaping on. Type of atty, build, etc along with PG/VG ratio.

I’m going to assume you’re answer to that won’t be anything mind blowing and that you really need help with the recipe. Too bad my thinking cap fell in the floor when I jumped in bed just now :slight_smile: I’ll be checking in here tomorrow. Maybe by then someone else will have solved your riddle. Until then…good night!

5 Likes

I’m using a griffin 25 with dual 3mm 5 wrap alien wire ~.2ohm at 60-65w. The blueberry conundrum really grinds my gears lol. I read a lot about the flavours and their suggested %'s but I’m finding I have to go higher with a lot of them than is usually suggested. Night

2 Likes

i have the same problems with Blueberry :frowning: ill be watching to see what comes of this

1 Like

Can you try another tank or dripper before making changes to your recipe? I had (read, had) a Griffin 25 that I gave away because it was a flavor sponge. Best flavor I got from it was with claptons, but even then it was very subdued. I’m thinking you may have a completely different take on your mix if you vaped it in something else.

***no throwing stones at the Mixer :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I know getting a good Blue is a pain. I typically use 3 or more of the 6 I have to try and bring out a well rounded Blue.
Might try a percent of Bilberry (FA) to see if that adds some snap to the overall Blueberry.

3 Likes

In my experience the flavor on my griffin has been top notch. I just got a hadaly last week and seem to get more out of my griffin flavor-wise.

I’ve got 13 different blueberry concentrates Bob, and aside from FLV blueberry muffin, I don’t like any of them on their own lol. too many cooks in the kitchen and not enough chefs when it comes to blueberry.

2 Likes

LOL your a sicker puppy then I am or you’ve just been at it a bit longer.

2 Likes

You have no idea… Lol

1 Like

From the ELR flavor reviews
Blueberry Muffin Flavor:
Sweet, cooked blueberry. Subtle overall flavor. Has deeper notes but no punch. Clean/no off flavors. Don’t really get muffin notes at all.

Just my opinion… This isn’t a good choice for seeking a good top blueberry note in recipes. This BB needs help from other BBs to be a top/front note

https://www.reddit.com/r/DIY_eJuice/comments/4lcy8v/strawberry_tfa/
Steep time- 3 weeks wicking/ full
Mouth Feel - Sharp and smooth at the same time with a slight throat hit moderately heavy on the tongue.
Flavor Properties- Sweet and tart very candy like strawberry flavor.
Relatable Flavors - Strawberry Jolly Rancher or a strawberry salt water taffy.
Off Flavors - Getting a very slight medicine type and it’s just a little chalky.
Position in the recipe - This is very versatile flavor should work in a base, as a top note, and an accent. I have also heard that it contains emulsifying properties so could even be an additive.

Just my opinion… I don’t know what purpose SB TPA would serve in a BB mix. Instead of SB try a combo BBs to support BB muffin.

@ 0.5% it adds nothing to this mix. I can’t even taste this flavor below 4%.

This is just an OK cake flavor. It’ll probably be good to enhance some other cake flavors, but not that great without support. Sugar Cookie 0.5% doesn’t add much support to this cake note. Adding a Marshmallow or Meringue paired with Whipped Cream would do a better job at fluffing or turning some cake flavor into a Sponge Cake.

Vanilla Swirl (TPA) 3% & Cream Fresh (FA) 1%
These 2 flavors doesn’t equate to a whipped cream. This combo @ 4% is more of a Ice Cream. FA Cream Whipped is the best and most accurate I’ve found for a WC. Creams can also mute/muddle some subtle flavors.

5 Likes

I had the original Griffin and thought it was an amazing flavor tank. So disappointed with the 25. Ok, nuff about that. Let’s look at your recipe. Mind you, this is one man’s opinion only.

Blueberry Muffin (Flavorah) 5% (I would not increase this at all. If anything, drop this flavor down some)
Cream Fresh (FA) 1%
Strawberry (TPA) 2.5%
Sugar Cookie .5% (May mute your BB to a degree by softening some of the notes)
Sweetener (Sucralose) 1.5%
Vanilla Cupcake (CAP) 1.5%
Vanilla Swirl (TPA) 3% (similar to Sugar Cookie - will not add to the flavor of the blueberry and could soften it some).

Here are ideas only. First, the Blueberry flavor in BB Muffin is very artificial to me. Like the little bits of blueberry substance tucked in the muffins you can buy at a convenience store. Not a bad thing really, but it doesn’t necessarily lend itself to a real blueberry flavor - and not a sweet one either. I can see wanting to use it for a mix that is cakey, but feel this one may not fit the bill. Now I’ve never had Vanilla Cupcake from CAP, but if it’s good I would say you could stick with it for sure. Use maybe at max percentage for that flavor and drop the Vanilla Swirl. So going on all my b.s. here, I would try a recipe like this…

Blueberry (FW) 3%
Blueberry Wild (TPA) 4%
Bilberry (FA) 0.5%
Cream Fresh (FA) 1.5%
Strawberry (TPA) 2.5%
Sweetener 1.5%
Vanilla Cupcake (CAP) 3%

Not sure if this would be any good, but it’s the direction I would personally go next. Another thing to consider is that lemon, in small quantities, is good for helping along Blueberry flavors. I’ve heard the same about Banana. As for lemon, if you have any Nonna’s Cake (FA) you may want to try a bit of that to see if it helps bring out the flavor you’re after.

4 Likes

If you like HIC’s recipes he has one here:

5 Likes

Very interesting combo. I’ve had a couple good BB combos, but nothing that worked for a universal base. I don’t have have the BB Wild. I think I’ll try it since you recommend it.

I’m trying to figure out what this does for this mix?[quote=“SthrnMixer, post:76, topic:136031”]
Vanilla Cupcake (CAP) 3%
[/quote]

When I think Sponge Cake, I think light and fluffy. This will need help to get there. Pound Cake FLV is a very versatile cake flavor that can be bent and twisted to fit most cake profiles when used with enhancements.

A very good cream which will mute subtle flavors, but the Cream Whipped is a whole different animal. Truly a staple.

IMO his flavor choices won’t get to what he’s asking without subbing flavors.

4 Likes

Not sure myself. In his original description he said he was going for a decent blueberry blend. I just assumed berries in general. Personally I would omit the strawberry unless that’s just a desired component.

Appreciate your comments for sure. Several of these flavors I’ve just not used, so all that is great input! What would your recipe look like if you were to recreate this based on his description?

1 Like

As you said earlier… If I tried this mix.

I’m not sure about the BB combo because I often tweak my v1 BB mixes.

Blueberry Shortcake

• 2% Blueberry (Flavorah)
  • 0.5% Blueberry (MF)
  • 4% Blueberry Extra (TPA)
  • 0.75% Cream Whipped (FA) - spot on WC and help lighten the cake note.
  • 1% Meringue (FA) - dual purpose… sweetener and cake fluffer.
  • 1.3% Pound Cake (Flavorah) - good cake note and versatile.
  • 0.75% Sweet Cream (CAP) - adds a extra creamy layer and smoothness.

Flavor total: 10.3%

3 Likes

Thanks for the tips. I meant to say “sweet blueberry compote”, the strawberry helps to round it out a bit, but yeah probably a better idea to just layer some other blueberries (maybe huckleberry?), I don’t like most of the blueberry flavorings out there so its kind of frustrating. The creams DO work well with the vanilla cupcake to get a sweet whipped cream… I think you’d have to taste it to see what I’m going for here.

2 Likes

Now that sounds good!

http://i.imgur.com/73EDx5g.jpg

4 Likes

Wonder what blueberry, sweetener and liquid amber would be like?

3 Likes

This is the recipe for that picture… <<< click here

2 cups frozen blueberries
3 tablespoons water
1/4 cup sugar
2 teaspoons lemon juice

Optional recipe <<< click here
2 cups frozen blueberries divided
3 tbsp water
2 1/2 tbsp honey
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2-1 tsp fresh lemon juice optional