Hemp Wicking Tutorial

Kudos to you for doing this for the nice folks on ELR.
Would send you a PM but shipping a sample over to Europe is more hassle and cost more than it is worth.

2 Likes

Norseman and everyone, I’m already shipping some to Auckland. I don’t mind shipping internationally, it’s just going to cost more and add a customs form for me.

So I’m glad you asked the question. I definitely intend to ship some to @daath, who needs only to PM me his addy in meatspace.

So the offer is open to the entire world, I love you all. I will ship anywhere if the recipient is willing to pay actual cost. The package will be lightweight in a tyvek envelope and customs valued at 1usd. Glad you asked as I had forgotten to mention it.

Finally I do not store (beyond it being in my messages on elr for the one year limit) or otherwise use your addresses for anything. If I send you stuff, gear or wick, I’ll always need your address. Just ask some of the folks I’ve sent multiple things over the years. I’m too disorganized and busy.

3 Likes

I was just poking around and see that they have a place in china as well. So after believing in it as iam sure u will, ship’n wordwide is available.https://www.hemptraders.com/articles.asp?ID=57

1 Like

After several months (3-6) of using this 0.4ohm build at about 8volts on a LiPo PWM rig it started to taste of charcoal. I quickly scraped the coils with my pocket knife, threw the whole disassembled atomizer in a jar of vodka and then put that in the USC at 50C for 30 minutes. The result below is vaping like new.

2 Likes

Just rewicked the Delirium with hemp.

Wild and hairy fresh wick…

Put in a small jelly jar with Vodka. Ran through 5 - 8 minute cycles on the USC with heat. Then rinsed with hot water.

Took a little while on low power pulsing it to steam off as much of the water as possible. Then started dripping juice until the crackle pop subsided.

All in all this took about 15 minutes to wick and dry burn. Add in the 40 or so minutes in the USC. No biggie. Vaping like a champion and the typical woody taste of hemp is nearly non-existent. All in all I’d say this is a good method for fresh builds and I’ll try cleaning the coils when they get funky and doing another bath like this. Not sure how that will play out with clapton wire, and if it’s a pooch screw I’ll rebuild with round wire so I can try your method above @therabidweasel

Thanks for all the tips and tricks!!

2 Likes

Hot diggitty dizzam homeboy! I’m going to get this whole damned forum hooked on hemp one at a time if I have to. Please try round wire once those captons clog up in a few days. I think you’ll find the flavor difference to be pretty minor. Now that you have proper wick, your coils don’t have to pull double duty.

Feel free to prove me wrong, please just try it :wink:

2 Likes

I will! It was amazing when I purged out the remaining water from rinsing and I didn’t have that typical earthy taste as when not “conditioning” the hemp with the vodka bath. You told me in chat 3 hits of break in. I’ll say that by the time I had the water out and juice flowing it was pure flavor. Love it!

3 Likes

Yeah, I been sandbagging the technique. Steam…steam…juice…nummy. Enjoy yo hemp homie! Shtuff lasts forever. Don’t go buying 2kg like cosmic! You already have a lifetime supply.

2 Likes

@therabidweasel: after finding out that the new Horizon Arco sub-ohm coils uses flax paper liners, I thought to myself that hemp fiber would be a great wicking material. A few minutes of Googling and I found this thread. Isn’t the Internet amazing!? Awesome tutorial and R&D!

3 Likes

Yep, when that box arrives think I’ll find out I’ve overdid it a tad…well what the hell!

1 Like

When u realize exactly how many decades of it u can afford to lose you can sell some off to ELR members for cost like @therabidweasel did or make some bracelets,socks,pants, lmao

1 Like

I’d buy some if you decide to go that way, I’m always up for a new experiment.

1 Like

I’d like to buy some too…

2 Likes

PM me your address and send $5 to cover shipping and I’ll send it out on Saturday.

3 Likes

Then enjoy!

4 Likes

Thumbs up here. Thanks to @therabidweasel I got a double fistful of wick. Cleaned it with isopropyl alcohol and rinsed with water. Just used it for a single coil build in my Vandy Vape Pulse 22. No sweat wicking my Vertebraid 6 wrap .4Ω coil. A little bit of taste for the first half dozen hits… Seems to be working great!

5 Likes

Johnny AppleWeed :wink:

5 Likes

Dude … really?
I thought I was getting a little sample :open_mouth:

It will take me a loooooong time to turn this into wicks! Thanks man! :smiley:

2 Likes

@HAL9000 How exactly did you clean it, just soak it (how long?) and rinse out?

Seriously all, I recommend ethanol (vodka, everclear) not isopropyl. Either way rinse in hot water after.

As above I USC 30min in 50C hot vodka then rinse in hot water.

4 Likes